Focal Clear headphones
Nov 29, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #11,266 of 12,543
Some have reported good results from washing the pads, either by hand or in the washing machine on gentle cycle, using a gentle soap like Woolite.
Meanwhile, grab new pads from headphones.com at $79 USD.
I thought hard about adding a pair to my order. Would have made them much cheaper than the Dekoni's that way, but I just wasn't sure on the lifespan. Obviously black fenestrated leather will look better for much longer than light grey suede/alcantara.

I think I will have to end up with either Elex pads or Dekoni fenestrated. Price of oily skin/hair.

Curious to see how long it will take to look bad. I do rotate often.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #11,267 of 12,543
I need your advice... I found the Clear at what I consider an attractive price of 800 euros (brand new). Would you consider this potential purchase to be a good one, taking into account other similar type of headphones, the fact that they are discontinued etc.? As I am 65+ old I am not particularly concerned about the treble issues I read about (or should I?)...

Nov 30, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #11,268 of 12,543
I need your advice... I found the Clear at what I consider an attractive price of 800 euros (brand new). Would you consider this potential purchase to be a good one, taking into account other similar type of headphones, the fact that they are discontinued etc.? As I am 65+ old I am not particularly concerned about the treble issues I read about (or should I?)...
Yup, these are still some of the best headphones for tonal balance at any price range.

For 800 euro new, they have no competition. A headphone on similar footing is the Arya; but it's 1300 new.

Buy buy buy!

Nov 30, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #11,270 of 12,543
Thank you!!! I will pair them with ifi xdsd gryphon - do you see or know of any problems in that combination?
I have the Clear Mg and an iFi Gryphon and use that combo for travelling (which I don't do as much any more). I DO recommend replacing the stock cable with one from a 3rd party manufacturer. Depending on your budget, you can get one from Audiophile Ninja fairly inexpensively. Great cables, custom lengths, fantastic build quality, and very affordable! The 4.4mm balanced (for the Gryphon) in a 5' length is $69. If you want more cable, go for whatever length you want, it's cheap. 8' adds $9 to the total....

There are other companies out there (Hart, Forza, etc.). Any of them are good. But the stock cable that comes with the Clear should go right into the garbage. My $.02 worth.

Nov 30, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #11,271 of 12,543
Provided you are given 2 years warranty!

Nov 30, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #11,273 of 12,543
good point. however I cannot check it... it is from an online store. Given the fact though that they are appointed distributors of Focal I would assume it is OK.
Sure you can check it - email the online retailer customer service box and ask them. They're required to both post it and provide it upon request.

Nov 30, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #11,274 of 12,543
Damn I wish I could find a new Clear OG for 800 euros! In my country they go for that amount used and out of warranty.

Dec 1, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #11,276 of 12,543
Back to these again…
11C632E9-B259-4B25-8C33-495320E1DCEB.jpeg

Dec 1, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #11,277 of 12,543
I have the Clear Mg and an iFi Gryphon and use that combo for travelling (which I don't do as much any more). I DO recommend replacing the stock cable with one from a 3rd party manufacturer. Depending on your budget, you can get one from Audiophile Ninja fairly inexpensively. Great cables, custom lengths, fantastic build quality, and very affordable! The 4.4mm balanced (for the Gryphon) in a 5' length is $69. If you want more cable, go for whatever length you want, it's cheap. 8' adds $9 to the total....

There are other companies out there (Hart, Forza, etc.). Any of them are good. But the stock cable that comes with the Clear should go right into the garbage. My $.02 worth.
Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, I have to look for something available in Europe (postage costs for Ninja doubles their cost...). Also, please tell me about the combination of Clear Mg and Gryphon - do they complement each other well?

Dec 1, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #11,278 of 12,543
Has anyone compared Fidelio X2 to Clear ?
On a french forum a fellow reviewer said that Clear is not better in dynamic and immersion, only better for timbre.

Dec 1, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #11,279 of 12,543
Has anyone compared Fidelio X2 to Clear ?
On a french forum a fellow reviewer said that Clear is not better in dynamic and immersion, only better for timbre.
I had the Clear OG, not the Fidelio X2, but I think in terms of cleanliness and resolution the Clear is simply in another field.

And the timbre, on the other hand, is one of the things I would question about the Clear, it has that metallic aftertaste that I didn't find exactly pleasant.

Dec 1, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #11,280 of 12,543
Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, I have to look for something available in Europe (postage costs for Ninja doubles their cost...). Also, please tell me about the combination of Clear Mg and Gryphon - do they complement each other well?
They do! As long as you're not trying to drown out the voices in your head, the Gryphon does an excellent job as a portable amp/DAC. Battery lasts ~4-5 hours depending on volume and if I'm using Bluetooth or a USB > USB connector. I rarely use any of the DSP functions, but they do add some nice xfeed and a little bass boost if desired. I stream a lot of Tidal and the MQA is a nice added feature.

As for the cable - I'm sure there are plenty of EU makers who can offer you similar.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=105 comes to top of mind. There's a cable thread that can help HERE.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back