Focal Clear headphones
Jun 8, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #10,621 of 12,550
If there is a planar equivalent/brother/upgrade would be fabulous to the Clear OG? Which one would that be?

I'm contemplating either trading in my OGs for a pair of Utopias - would that justify 3k?

Or complement my setup with "matching" planars...

Electronic music... therefore I'm not even sure if there are "better" planars than 1266TCs! (comfort and price aside which are actually exclusion criteria)

Thanks for Tipps!
I think the Clear OG is the best headphone under $1000. It can really punch nicely. I sold it mainly because the treble wasn't good enough, so I upgrade to Utopia. You can get a used Utopia for around $2000. I think it is well worth the upgrade.

You can also upgrade the Clear OG with a good amp. When I head the Clear OG on the Ferrum Orr, it solved the treble issues I had with Clear. I might have just kept the Clear OG had I already had the Orr.

If you want the punch and bass of Clear in an upgrade path, then all roads lead to 1266TC.

Jun 8, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #10,622 of 12,550
I think the Clear OG is the best headphone under $1000. It can really punch nicely. I sold it mainly because the treble wasn't good enough, so I upgrade to Utopia. You can get a used Utopia for around $2000. I think it is well worth the upgrade.

You can also upgrade the Clear OG with a good amp. When I head the Clear OG on the Ferrum Orr, it solved the treble issues I had with Clear. I might have just kept the Clear OG had I already had the Orr.

If you want the punch and bass of Clear in an upgrade path, then all roads lead to 1266TC.
Are you saying the treble wasn't good enough because it was too glaring? And the Ferrum smoothed it slightly?

Jun 8, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #10,623 of 12,550
Are you saying the treble wasn't good enough because it was too glaring? And the Ferrum smoothed it slightly?
No veiled treble.

Jun 8, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #10,624 of 12,550
No veiled treble.
Going to the HD800S from the Clear I am thinking the Clear's treble is veiled slightly...
What amp did you have prior to the Ferrum?

Jun 8, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #10,625 of 12,550
Going to the HD800S from the Clear I am thinking the Clear's treble is veiled slightly...
What amp did you have prior to the Ferrum?
everything sounds "veiled" comparing to HD800 - some would describe HD800 as unbearably "clear" :relieved:

Jun 8, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #10,626 of 12,550
I spent a couple of hours listening to Clear and I think it needs a bit of EQ in the mid, upper mid and lower treble. You can EQ the bass if you want, but not strictly necessary.

Jun 10, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #10,627 of 12,550
What's the best route for replacement earpads for the OG Clear? I tried Dekoni Velour but didn't like how they changed the sound. Elex pads seem to not be sold right now, so is the best option the official ones from headphones.com? Do Utopia pads last considerably longer without changing the tuning too much?

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #10,629 of 12,550
What's the best route for replacement earpads for the OG Clear? I tried Dekoni Velour but didn't like how they changed the sound. Elex pads seem to not be sold right now, so is the best option the official ones from headphones.com? Do Utopia pads last considerably longer without changing the tuning too much?
Try Dekoni Custom Stellia. The Drop Elex are a good option when you can get them, and the OG replacements from headphones.com are also good.

I have all three, and swap them out as the mood strikes. Fortunately, I don't hear a large enough difference between them to get me bent out of shape, so I just go with what seems to work best. For the last couple months that's been the Dekoni. I think they provide a bit more bass and soundstage width than either the Drop Elex or the OG.

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...es-replacement-ear-pads-for-focal-headphones/

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #10,630 of 12,550
Try Dekoni Custom Stellia. The Drop Elex are a good option when you can get them, and the OG replacements from headphones.com are also good.

I have all three, and swap them out as the mood strikes. Fortunately, I don't hear a large enough difference between them to get me bent out of shape, so I just go with what seems to work best. For the last couple months that's been the Dekoni. I think they provide a bit more bass and soundstage width than either the Drop Elex or the OG.

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...es-replacement-ear-pads-for-focal-headphones/
The measurements Dekoni provide seem to show a pretty precipitous drop in the bass, with slight elevation in the treble. I already EQ subbass up a bit and am kind of treble sensitive - the stock pads are already kind of close to the line for me, so I think I'll go with the $79 headphones.com OEMs despite their durability.
Thanks!

Jun 10, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #10,631 of 12,550
I'll go with the $79 headphones.com OEMs despite their durability.
Since the OG Clear being sold by headphones.com are from the last manufacturing run, its unclear how many units are still available; the same can be said, I should think, for the pads, so I'd recommend grabbing a pair while you can, especially when their price is now just $79 (and no longer $200).

Jun 11, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #10,632 of 12,550
Since the OG Clear being sold by headphones.com are from the last manufacturing run, its unclear how many units are still available; the same can be said, I should think, for the pads, so I'd recommend grabbing a pair while you can, especially when their price is now just $79 (and no longer $200).
That makes sense. Tempted to get two pairs to be honest... Hopefully the Elex pads come back too as an alternative.

Jun 12, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #10,633 of 12,550

Having spent a few days with it I do agree with you that Clear OG is pretty good sounding and easy to live with - almost SOTA but falls short in several areas. I was pleasantly surprised given my prior lackluster Focal experience.

Jun 12, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #10,634 of 12,550
Having spent a few days with it I do agree with you that Clear OG is pretty good sounding and easy to live with - almost SOTA but falls short in several areas. I was pleasantly surprised given my prior lackluster Focal experience.
The MG is terrible. They messed with the mids making it sound compressed and unbalanced. Great build quality. Terrible sound quality.

Jun 12, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #10,635 of 12,550
The MG is terrible. They messed with the mids making it sound compressed and unbalanced. Great build quality. Terrible sound quality.
I had a chance to listen to all the current roster of Focal headphones (excluding Clear OG) and the only one that made a good impression on me was Utopia with OOR+HYPOS. The rest I either don't have a strong like/dislike or I thought were meh.

The problem for me with all Focal headphones in this general lack of liquid mid range that I really enjoy hearing in headphones/speakers. Focal speakers also don't have that quality - at least they are consistent in terms of their voicing. I suppose I am nitpicking here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back