Focal Clear headphones
Apr 15, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #10,472 of 12,543
The Focal Clear was my first high end, open back headphone and remains the reference point against which I compare other cans.
As jonathan c puts it in the comment above, it's coherent and satisfying.
It's also the one of the few cans that can (relatively easily) impress my non audiophile friends who are used to more mainstream sound signatures. They all recognise the "clear" step up in detail and resolution.

I'm still hesitant about changing the pads though... feel like I'd make a mess of it as it doesn't look simple or straightforward...
I did like the idea of this headphone and was about to bite, but the posts here seem to be largely about the wonderful chains to tie it to. I have what I need for my DCA, Hifimans, Sennheisers, others. I'm not about Amps and DAC variations. I could probably rationalize the money, but the space would be an issue with my SO and me.
The main reason I would consider the Clears is the famous "punch/slam" or "macrodynamic" effect--as the the headphone.com salesman Andrew Park puts it. I guess I'm not a fan of music that thumps as in a club anyway I don't listen to movie soundtracks or play video games.

Apr 15, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #10,473 of 12,543
I did like the idea of this headphone and was about to bite, but the posts here seem to be largely about the wonderful chains to tie it to. I have what I need for my DCA, Hifimans, Sennheisers, others. I'm not about Amps and DAC variations. I could probably rationalize the money, but the space would be an issue with my SO and me.
The main reason I would consider the Clears is the famous "punch/slam" or "macrodynamic" effect--as the the headphone.com salesman Andrew Park puts it. I guess I'm not a fan of music that thumps as in a club anyway I don't listen to movie soundtracks or play video games.

You certainly donā€™t have to worry about punch and slam from the Clear. Far from it.

The Clear MGā€™s have more or , to me at least, just simply better bass response.

Apr 15, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #10,474 of 12,543
You certainly donā€™t have to worry about punch and slam from the Clear. Far from it.

The Clear MGā€™s have more or , to me at least, just simply better bass response.
Thanks! I should consider getting them while they are available since they are discontinued. My set ups are *really* basic, Schiit Heresy, Geekout/AQ dongles/Ray Samuels/ Ifi Gryphon. So mostly mid fi equipment.

Apr 16, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #10,475 of 12,543
I was wondering about that punch/slam characteristic the other way around, having owned the Clears for a year I bought a set of Hifiman Arya end of last year. Tried to like them for a few months but simply preferred the Clearā€™s liveliness with almost every track. So I gave up a few weeks ago and sold the Arya.
I am listening to lots of Jazz, Classical, acoustic and vocal music, and the Clears just felt more energetic and lively. They had a slight veil compared to the Arya and the stage is totally different, but to me they are simply more musical.
On the Arya thread I got a lot of advice about what amplifiers I should try and how my Chord Hugo2 was not powerful enough. But I really didnā€™t want to go down that rabbit hole and was honestly not convinced that it would substantially change the sound.
It would be best if you could try the Clears for a while to figure out if they suit your taste. Heck, I even enjoy the Audioquest Nightowls even though most audiophiles will tell you that they sound terrible! šŸ˜œ

Apr 16, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #10,476 of 12,543
I don't think Focal is plotting a dirty headphone band scheme....more likely just encouraging daily showering :wink:

I use the Geekria Knit fabric version...it's very soft...however... slightly over in length and does not fit as cleanly vs. previous option Jonathan noted.
Even with daily showering, the fabric doesn't stand a chance, if you wear the Clear for any extended periods on a daily basis.
It may look super cool when new but frankly spoken: the material isn't up to the job.

The foam inside the pads is great. Even after multiple washes and 2 years it shows no signs of going flat.
But the red cover material is hilariously sensitive and discolors really quickly. Considering the pads pricing, I would have liked something a wee bit more durable.

So yes: I fully recommend going the "protective headband cover" way.

An odd thing happened to my hifi addiction.

Since I've got the focal clear, I'm good. Barely on head fi anymore.
It's been an interesting journey the past year, i've been so close to buying high end pieces like the Abyss Diana V2, or Stellia, or Empyrean, all things I've demoed.
But the Focal Clear are so insanely good, I don't see a need to go for anything else. Pop these on a Chord Hugo and you're set i reckon.
Welcome to the club.

Since I got my RME to complement my Clear, it's been game over for me as well.
I read a lot about people asking for "DAC/amp synergies" and all that stuff and it still boggles my mind, why they don't just get a DSP capable device, tailor the sound to their personal liking via parametric EQ and are done with spending money on colored audio gear, trying to find the perfect impedance match. *shrug*

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #10,477 of 12,543
I was wondering about that punch/slam characteristic the other way around, having owned the Clears for a year I bought a set of Hifiman Arya end of last year. Tried to like them for a few months but simply preferred the Clearā€™s liveliness with almost every track. So I gave up a few weeks ago and sold the Arya.
I am listening to lots of Jazz, Classical, acoustic and vocal music, and the Clears just felt more energetic and lively. They had a slight veil compared to the Arya and the stage is totally different, but to me they are simply more musical.
On the Arya thread I got a lot of advice about what amplifiers I should try and how my Chord Hugo2 was not powerful enough. But I really didnā€™t want to go down that rabbit hole and was honestly not convinced that it would substantially change the sound.
It would be best if you could try the Clears for a while to figure out if they suit your taste. Heck, I even enjoy the Audioquest Nightowls even though most audiophiles will tell you that they sound terrible! šŸ˜œ
Funny! I adore the Nightowls.

Apr 21, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #10,478 of 12,543
The upper mids on the OG clear are slightly gritty and not smooth . I guess itā€™s the 6khz peak that is causing that . Does anyone else experience this ?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #10,479 of 12,543
The upper mids on the OG clear is slightly gritty and not smooth . I guess itā€™s the 6khz peak that is causing that . Does anyone else experience this ?
It settles down in time. You need to give them 100 hours minimum. Also, upgrade your cable if you're using the SE stock cable - it's utter garbage.

Apr 21, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #10,480 of 12,543
It settles down in time. You need to give them 100 hours minimum. Also, upgrade your cable if you're using the SE stock cable - it's utter garbage.
I have been using them for more than a year. Whenever I switch from other headphones to the clears . The midrange sounds slightly Gritty. Like it has some edge on the top

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #10,481 of 12,543
The upper mids on the OG clear is slightly gritty and not smooth . I guess itā€™s the 6khz peak that is causing that . Does anyone else experience this ?
Do you have a specific track where this happens?

Post the link to video and we can check.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #10,482 of 12,543
It might be amp dependent. I drive my Clear from a Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid (among other amps), and it's a great pairing, albeit with a bit of treble fatigue. The treble has a kind of crystalline hardness to it. I wouldn't call it gritty, more like there's too much energy, perhaps around the 6 kHz you mention. I don't hear it with other amps, including a SET tube amp and the Schiit Jotunheim 2.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #10,483 of 12,543
The Clear (OG) is also cable-dependent. I have no issues with grit, hardness, shoutiness when using a true copper/silver (not plated) cable. The stock Focal cable is not too good.
A4DDB9A6-2DE3-4627-9004-0ADCCAB0AA14.jpeg
Norne Audio Vykari

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #10,484 of 12,543
I've been using my Clear Pro's for over a year now and will be cremated with these clamped to my head. I do like to try out other headphones, nothing expensive because I'm retired. I bought a pair of Avantone Planar headphones and they're a fun listen. Yesterday FedEx dropped off a new pair of Sennheiser HD600's and holy cow, these things sound amazing. Much better than the 650's that I had.
My Clear's will never go anywhere but it's fun to listen to other headphones.

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #10,485 of 12,543
Loving my Clear!

editerad.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back