Focal Clear headphones
Apr 21, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #10,486 of 12,578
... The treble has a kind of crystalline hardness to it. I wouldn't call it gritty, more like there's too much energy, perhaps around the 6 kHz you mention....

IMO, especially as far as percussion is concerned (cymbals etc) from a drummer, the tonality there sounds realistic. I like that metallic, zingy quality to the upper mid / treble on the Clears through a transparent chain.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #10,487 of 12,578
IMO, especially as far as percussion is concerned (cymbals etc) from a drummer, the tonality there sounds realistic. I like that metallic, zingy quality to the upper mid / treble on the Clears through a transparent chain.
Yea I always found the metallic timbre comments a little weird. I firstly don't even really notice it, I describe it more as a slight zing, but even still, cymbals are made of metal, they should have a little bit of that flavor no? I love the way these portray percussive instruments.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #10,488 of 12,578
Yea I always found the metallic timbre comments a little weird. I firstly don't even really notice it, I describe it more as a slight zing, but even still, cymbals are made of metal, they should have a little bit of that flavor no? I love the way these portray percussive instruments.
If one uses a bona fide copper/silver interwoven, not plated, headphone cable, the Clear (OG) does not have that ‘metallic sheen’. EDIT: One should also not pair Clear OG with THX AAA type h/p/a.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #10,489 of 12,578
That's what they were supposed to fix with MG, and to my ears successfully.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #10,490 of 12,578
EDIT: One should also not pair Clear OG with THX AAA type h/p/a.
Because THX is so linear? I am on the lookout for other amps, THX is congested but I like its deadpan linearity. Especially fed power from a preamp with the Burson Classic opamps, which boost the lower midrange and cut a touch of the treble energy.

Apr 21, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #10,491 of 12,578
Because THX is so linear? I am on the lookout for other amps, THX is congested but I like its deadpan linearity. Especially fed power from a preamp with the Burson Classic opamps, which boost the lower midrange and cut a touch of the treble energy.
… ‘whitish’ sound, little rendition of acoustic space…you said it well: deadpan. Summed up, sterile !

Apr 21, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #10,492 of 12,578
I don't mean to derail, but I believe I've seen a picture of your setup, Jonathan c, with the Gilmore lite mk 2. I was looking at picking up this amp and PSU sometime.
Do you find it much of an improvement compared to other amps (for example the THX 789)?

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #10,494 of 12,578
It's definitely there. It goes away when you pair them with a higher end solid state amp or a tube amp. I upgraded to Utopia because the treble quality wasn't good enough. When I pair it with Ferrum Orr, the treble is great. I probably would not have upgrade to Utopia if I had Orr first. That said, Utopia is still better than Clear OG on Orr.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #10,495 of 12,578
I don't mean to derail, but I believe I've seen a picture of your setup, Jonathan c, with the Gilmore lite mk 2. I was looking at picking up this amp and PSU sometime.
Do you find it much of an improvement compared to other amps (for example the THX 789)?
Yes, compared to Drop THX AAA, Topping A90 etc.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #10,496 of 12,578
Yes, compared to Drop THX AAA, Topping A90 etc.

The Clear is lovely with the Benchmark HPA4, however. Never had an issue with glarey treble or 'metallic' sound with the headphones on that particular THX amp.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #10,497 of 12,578
It's definitely there. It goes away when you pair them with a higher end solid state amp or a tube amp. I upgraded to Utopia because the treble quality wasn't good enough. When I pair it with Ferrum Orr, the treble is great. I probably would not have upgrade to Utopia if I had Orr first. That said, Utopia is still better than Clear OG on Orr.
It might be there sure, and as I said I do hear some zingyness. I just never felt that metallic was the best way to describe it imo.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #10,498 of 12,578
What do people even mean when they say something sounds like metallic? Metal doesn't have a particular sound. They must be remembering a particular sound that they associate with metal, like a squeaky door hinge or the overtones of a flute or something. It's a completely useless description though. It's just the same to say it sounds like a toaster.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #10,499 of 12,578
It might be there sure, and as I said I do hear some zingyness. I just never felt that metallic was the best way to describe it imo.
zinginess might be a better word to describe what I hear.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #10,500 of 12,578
What do people even mean when they say something sounds like metallic? Metal doesn't have a particular sound. They must be remembering a particular sound that they associate with metal, like a squeaky door hinge or the overtones of a flute or something. It's a completely useless description though. It's just the same to say it sounds like a toaster.
It is a sound associated with the treble. Instead of sounding smooth and natural, it is a sound that is more zingy. It is more prevalent on the Utopia when paired with certain amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back