Focal Clear headphones
Apr 13, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #10,456 of 12,575
Always a musically coherent, emotionally satisfying combinationā€¦šŸŽ¼ šŸ„²ā€¦
B0772777-90E5-419C-A47B-D3D152E16D1F.jpeg

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #10,457 of 12,575
Always a musically coherent, emotionally satisfying combinationā€¦šŸŽ¼ šŸ„²ā€¦B0772777-90E5-419C-A47B-D3D152E16D1F.jpeg
Is there a big difference between the perforated leather and sheepskin pads?

Apr 13, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #10,458 of 12,575
Is there a big difference between the perforated leather and sheepskin pads?
The pads are the Dekoni perforated sheepskin pads which I prefer vastly over the stock Focal pads.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #10,459 of 12,575
See post #9,294 (on page 620) of this thread for more on this.

Apr 13, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #10,460 of 12,575
The pads are the Dekoni perforated sheepskin pads which I prefer vastly over the stock Focal pads.
I have the non perforated dekoni sheepskin pads which I feel is a huge improvement over the stock pads as well. Its amazing how it completely changes the sonic characteristics of the headphone.

Was just curious if you had the opportunity to compare the regular sheepskin vs the perforated sheepskin pads.

Apr 13, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #10,461 of 12,575
I have the non perforated dekoni sheepskin pads which I feel is a huge improvement over the stock pads as well. Its amazing how it completely changes the sonic characteristics of the headphone.

Was just curious if you had the opportunity to compare the regular sheepskin vs the perforated sheepskin pads.
I probably will now that Dekoni has ā€˜resuscitatedā€™ the limited edition pads!

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #10,462 of 12,575
The Focal Clear was my first high end, open back headphone and remains the reference point against which I compare other cans.
As jonathan c puts it in the comment above, it's coherent and satisfying.
It's also the one of the few cans that can (relatively easily) impress my non audiophile friends who are used to more mainstream sound signatures. They all recognise the "clear" step up in detail and resolution.

I'm still hesitant about changing the pads though... feel like I'd make a mess of it as it doesn't look simple or straightforward...

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #10,463 of 12,575
The Focal Clear was my first high end, open back headphone and remains the reference point against which I compare other cans.
It's also the one of the few cans that can (relatively easily) impress my non audiophile friends who are used to more mainstream sound signatures. They all recognise the "clear" step up in detail and resolution.

I'm still hesitant about changing the pads though... feel like I'd make a mess of it as it doesn't look simple or straightforward...
Utopia is worth it. You can get used around $2k. Then u dont need expensive amp for get most out of it

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #10,464 of 12,575

Yup, they're good. The pads aren't hard to change but you likely don't need to change them anyway, certainly not away from the stock pads unless worn (up to you if they're worn or not). The only thing I wish the Clears had more of was soundstage as it is lacking but I like everything else for the most part.

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #10,465 of 12,575
Don't worry, I'm ham-fisted and I've had no trouble changing the pads. I purchased a pair of Elex pads as well as a replacement pair of Clear pads a year ago, and I spent a couple of days switching between them to see if I could discern any differences in sound. (I was glad to discover that the new, replacement pair of Clear pads, while of a different size to my old ones, didn't yield any sound differences that I could reliably detect).

Apr 15, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #10,466 of 12,575
Utopia is worth it. You can get used around $2k. Then u dont need expensive amp for get most out of it
Utopia is definitely on my list to demo. So is Stellia.

Apr 15, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #10,467 of 12,575
Yup, they're good. The pads aren't hard to change but you likely don't need to change them anyway, certainly not away from the stock pads unless worn (up to you if they're worn or not). The only thing I wish the Clears had more of was soundstage as it is lacking but I like everything else for the most part.
I know what you mean about the soundstage. It doesn't bother me massively but a bot more width would indeed be welcome.

Apr 15, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #10,468 of 12,575
Don't worry, I'm ham-fisted and I've had no trouble changing the pads. I purchased a pair of Elex pads as well as a replacement pair of Clear pads a year ago, and I spent a couple of days switching between them to see if I could discern any differences in sound. (I was glad to discover that the new, replacement pair of Clear pads, while of a different size to my old ones, didn't yield any sound differences that I could reliably detect).
Are there any videos / guides to changing the pads that I could take a look at?

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #10,470 of 12,575
The only Dekoni pad roll I would take seriously for the Clear would be the 'LTD' edition Stellia pads, with the breathable fabric behind the leather. All the premium Focal earpads have this fabric to diffuse the bass and improve tonality / dynamics.

Personally I am using the Utopia earpads on my Clear Professional. Keep the leather conditioned and it will be soft and supple, and not get trashed after a year like the microfibre Clear earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back