Focal Clear headphones
Jan 6, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #10,276 of 12,651
Many thanks for your help. Probably less than 12 hours all up. Have been letting them run sitting on the desk for a few hours. Don't cop the spike all that often but when it happens it can be obvious.
Are you using any form of EQ.
Many thanks again.
No eq at all. Definitely get over the 30 hour mark and report back. They should settle for you. The bass will fill in more and punch and slam harder. Upper mids and treble should smooth and gel better. You should get a better holographic experience as well. Depth in the imaging will increase with all of the above.

Cheers!

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #10,277 of 12,651
Many thanks for your help. Probably less than 12 hours all up. Have been letting them run sitting on the desk for a few hours. Don't cop the spike all that often but when it happens it can be obvious.
Are you using any form of EQ.
Many thanks again.
The Clear do need some break-in time: for me it was 72 total hours with real music (CD replay, not pink noise). Also I use, as does (did?) @Guidostrunk, the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin earpads. They are firmer and thicker than the ‘stock’ (expensive, hard to clean, squishy) Focal pads. They set the earspeakers further from the ears thereby widening the soundstage, ‘aerifying’ the soundstage, and eliminates for me any tendency for the Clear to be ‘over the top’. PS, I never use EQ.
6783A9C7-9360-4129-A759-6F865B91D03E.jpeg

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #10,279 of 12,651
Lossless to the Shiit A3 with multbit card out to the Focal Clear and I find no need for eq just a comfy chair.
No EQ for the electronics, just spinal / gluteal EQ for the listening seat…😜

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #10,280 of 12,651
Hi received a pair of clear pros about 3 weeks ago and i am really blown away.
Question is does the nail in the ear treble spike that occasionally invades reduce with burn in?
Am running it conjunction with a schitt asgard 3 and modius combination.
Thanks in advance
Tube amps help, but ime with most solid states no, I assume that to be especially true with your asgard3/modius stack, but I got used to them. That's partly what contributes to Focal's metallic timbre in their house sound and it's pretty existent in all their headphones. EQ or pad roll is an option if you can't get a tube amp or other solid states/dacs to try out.

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #10,281 of 12,651
I run mine on a THX-789 which is about as sterile/uncoloured of an amp as you can get and I have no complaints with the treble. No EQ. I'm also very sensitive to sibilance and have had issues with other headphones and IEMs in the past, hence I generally prefer dark/warm headphones like the HD650 or the LCD2.1. The Clear has no unpleasantness to my ears. I'm using the Dekoni LE Stelia Pads but previously with the stock I had zero complaints (other than how hard they were to clean).

Jan 7, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #10,283 of 12,651
Tube amps help, but ime with most solid states no, I assume that to be especially true with your asgard3/modius stack, but I got used to them. That's partly what contributes to Focal's metallic timbre in their house sound and it's pretty existent in all their headphones. EQ or pad roll is an option if you can't get a tube amp or other solid states/dacs to try out.

I have a modified little dot 1+ and also a JDS Atom stack. Having tried all 3 the treble does still take a similar shape. Not really complaining because after using HD 6xx beforehand the Clears are like having my ears cleaned out.

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #10,285 of 12,651
Jan 11, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #10,287 of 12,651
These cans successfully ended my headphone journey lol.
I got my amp sorted, now the Dac.
What dac does the clear go really well with? the Ares II and Bitfrost 2 seem to be popping up alot....anything else within reason?

Jan 11, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #10,288 of 12,651
What dac does the clear go really well with? the Ares II and Bitfrost 2 seem to be popping up alot....anything else within reason?
RME ADI-2 DAC fs and you can safely delete your account here (for a few weeks :wink:)

Jan 11, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #10,289 of 12,651
Similar to the Bifrost 2, if you find a used Gungnir MB you get more of the good Schiit goodness. They are hard to come by used, but usually go for $ 800-900, so not crazy money per se.

Jan 11, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #10,290 of 12,651

Love the pairing of Focal Clears with CHORD Hugo 2.
Definition, extension, stage and all that with great musicality and a special natural presentation, almost analogue.
Especially live recordings and acoustic instruments benefit from this pairing. Not recommended if you want laid back sound.
All that with the added bonus of portability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back