Focal Clear headphones
Oct 3, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #6,331 of 12,550
The plug-unplug routine will definitely take a toll on the jacks, leading to plating wear and possibly even loose wobbly jacks over the years.

I like stands, but mostly for the headphones i don't use often. I leave my main headphones lying on the desk.

Imo avoid stands that exert pressure on the earpads or have a small area for the headband to rest on. Although some headphones can use to get squished in the middle of the headband's padding to get the typical hd650/800 middle scalp relief. The clears don't need that imo.

Woo or AudioQuest Perch stands are the ticket.

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #6,333 of 12,550
image.jpg
image.jpg

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #6,334 of 12,550
Would have helped if I inserted what I wanted to say along with the pics. Something like these stands have always worked for me. I mean maybe the stand may cause some pressure on the headband (no way getting round it) but if not on a stand, just lay them down on the desk like you said.

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #6,335 of 12,550
So resting them on a soft cloth on top of a desk should be fine then? I will go that route. :) thanks!

I use stands on a shelf for long-term storage, stands on my desk for current favorites, and for over-flow and things like cable/pad swapping, I use an oversized neoprene mousepad. It's cheap, soft, and thick enough to prevent damage to the headphones even from a drop.

Oct 5, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #6,336 of 12,550
Well, the shorter single ended cable that came with my Clear just gave out last night (intermittent and then no sound out of right channel). Frustrating but a decent enough excuse to pick up a replacement cable that isn't god awfully stiff. Anyone got any suggestions for an ergonomically good cable that doesn't break the bank?

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #6,337 of 12,550
Well, the shorter single ended cable that came with my Clear just gave out last night (intermittent and then no sound out of right channel). Frustrating but a decent enough excuse to pick up a replacement cable that isn't god awfully stiff. Anyone got any suggestions for an ergonomically good cable that doesn't break the bank?

I recommend contacting Trevor at Norne Audio. Unless your budget is in the DYI range, I bet he will recommend a nice replacement cable. Trevor’s cables are like a work of art. I purchased a flagship cable from Norne. The improvement Trevor’s cable has made to the sound quality of my Clears and Stellia’s is huge!

Oct 5, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #6,338 of 12,550
I recommend contacting Trevor at Norne Audio. Unless your budget is in the DYI range, I bet he will recommend a nice replacement cable. Trevor’s cables are like a work of art. I purchased a flagship cable from Norne. The improvement Trevor’s cable has made to the sound quality of my Clears and Stellia’s is huge!

:rolling_eyes:

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #6,339 of 12,550

everyone has a different size bank. I’ve bought a few LQI cables at around $159 I liked. Very flexible, top quality hardware, nice range of colors, etc.

Oct 5, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #6,340 of 12,550
Another dead stock cable!

My orange Periapt proXLR cable for the Elex and orange XLR -> 1/4 adaptor should be arriving this week. 2 week lead-time and 2 weeks intl. shipping is 1 month total.

https://periaptcables.com/

Oct 5, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #6,341 of 12,550

I have an extra HeadphoneLounge UP-OCC silver cable for the Clear, if you are interested [2 meters, Litz-braided]. Sounds great with the Clear.

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #6,342 of 12,550
I know this has been covered exhaustively across this forum, but because of conflicting information I’ll ask once more: what reliable, safe method is there for cleaning the ear pads? I initially didn’t mind the discoloration since I have no plans of selling anytime in the near future, but they’ve now discolored to the point where even my partner (who leaves that part of the house alone) has taken notice. I’ve seen someone endorse a gentle laundry wash, while others recommended against that. I’ve seen scrubbing with suede/alcantara cleaner, but some have experienced slight damage to the perforations. So, to maybe bring this matter to rest, what method and technique just works?

I've been using an alcantara cleaner meant for cars. It works fine, though it's has a scent. Luckily the scent disappears after a couple of days.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018S2GTWO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oct 6, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #6,344 of 12,550
Which norne cable sounds best with the Clear? i want to place an order to use balanced but would like your opinions first. Thanks

IMHO balanced vs single ended matters with long cables because of better noise rejection, but you would need pretty long cables for the noise to reach audible levels. If you have an amplifier has both SE and balanced outputs, I’d use the balanced since most dual output amps have higher performance specs on the balanced output.

Oct 6, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #6,345 of 12,550
IMHO balanced vs single ended matters with long cables because of better noise rejection, but you would need pretty long cables for the noise to reach audible levels. If you have an amplifier has both SE and balanced outputs, I’d use the balanced since most dual output amps have higher performance specs on the balanced output.

Higher output power, not necessarily higher performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back