Focal Clear headphones
Sep 29, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #6,316 of 12,550
Just bought a used Focal Clear from someone, this will be my first headphone ever! Looking forward to receiving it and dabbling into the headphone side of music as I am primarily an IEM guy :)

That's a damn good "first headphone ever" you got there!

Sep 29, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #6,317 of 12,550
Funny you mention that as I’m primarily a headphone guy and am now starting to dabble into the IEM side. So far I’ve only owned a few inexpensive pairs but I do like them for the bang for the buck.
I own the Clear, like them immensely and will be interested in your take after coming to the dark side. :)

I have been told they have a similar sound to my A18t so that’s what I am hoping for :)

Sep 30, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #6,319 of 12,550
Just got me some Clears, must say impressions vs my ,up until now favorite jack of all trades, hd650, makes them a worthy successor (compared using the chord hugo 1).

Tonality (FR) wise the most balanced headphones i heard. Stage is small but pinpoint accurate in all dimensions.

Can they replace the liquid ethereal airy magic of the hd800? No. Do they move and engage in the first kHz like the original lcd2 rev2? No. Does listening to them make me forget about both of those? Yes!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #6,320 of 12,550
I know this has been covered exhaustively across this forum, but because of conflicting information I’ll ask once more: what reliable, safe method is there for cleaning the ear pads? I initially didn’t mind the discoloration since I have no plans of selling anytime in the near future, but they’ve now discolored to the point where even my partner (who leaves that part of the house alone) has taken notice. I’ve seen someone endorse a gentle laundry wash, while others recommended against that. I’ve seen scrubbing with suede/alcantara cleaner, but some have experienced slight damage to the perforations. So, to maybe bring this matter to rest, what method and technique just works?

Oct 1, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #6,321 of 12,550
Dissolve some innocuous everyday detergent (dish, laundry or just plain natural soap, i use dish detergent) in some lukewarm water, immerge the earpads in the solution and squeeze them like you would do when rinsing a sponge. To rinse them just do the same in some clean lukewarm water. Avoid any form of rubbing, attrition to the pads. To dry them, squeeze the water out and let them dry in a dry and airy place (a fan can help), avoiding any direct source of heat.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #6,322 of 12,550
Put my order in for the Professionals yesterday. Went with them over the silver Clear after reading some of the last few comments about cleaning the pads and discolorations. Figure in the long run an extra pair of pads will be more useful to me than the XLR cable. Can't wait.

Oct 1, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #6,323 of 12,550
Put my order in for the Professionals yesterday. Went with them over the silver Clear after reading some of the last few comments about cleaning the pads and discolorations. Figure in the long run an extra pair of pads will be more useful to me than the XLR cable. Can't wait.

Congrats on the purchase, enjoy! The Clears are a pretty special headphone. The tonal balance is very one of a kind.

Oct 1, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #6,325 of 12,550
Thanks. Also plan to pair them with the Asgard 3 like you so cant wait for that also. Just contemplating if I should go with the sliver or black.

Can't go wrong with either choice! I like the silver, it matches well with the Clears. The black is nice as well, but I thought the silver volume pot looked a little strange in pictures. Lots of people like the black coloring though.

I personally think the Asgard 3 is a pretty good pairing with the Clear. Both are neutral and a little bright sounding without being harsh. I get a very full bodied sound out of the Clears with it, bass is very articulate. I think you will like the pairing.

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #6,326 of 12,550
Can't go wrong with either choice! I like the silver, it matches well with the Clears. The black is nice as well, but I thought the silver volume pot looked a little strange in pictures. Lots of people like the black coloring though.

I personally think the Asgard 3 is a pretty good pairing with the Clear. Both are neutral and a little bright sounding without being harsh. I get a very full bodied sound out of the Clears with it, bass is very articulate. I think you will like the pairing.

Currently, I am using an 8-cores balanced cable: 4 x 24 awg solid Furutech UP-OCC copper and 4 x 26 awg solid Furutech UP-OCC silver from fellow headfier, TechnoRob. It pairs very, very well with the Clear.

Oct 3, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #6,327 of 12,550
Funny you mention that as I’m primarily a headphone guy and am now starting to dabble into the IEM side. So far I’ve only owned a few inexpensive pairs but I do like them for the bang for the buck.
I own the Clear, like them immensely and will be interested in your take after coming to the dark side. :)

so relative to the A18t I find the Clear to be slightly brighter with less bass, but overall pretty similar sound signature. I am enjoying them very much.

Quick question, when I am done using them should I be unplugging the cable and storing them back in the provided hard carry case? Will unplugging the cables every time effect the longevity? Or should I invest in a headphone stand? Thanks !

Oct 3, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #6,328 of 12,550
The plug-unplug routine will definitely take a toll on the jacks, leading to plating wear and possibly even loose wobbly jacks over the years.

I like stands, but mostly for the headphones i don't use often. I leave my main headphones lying on the desk.

Imo avoid stands that exert pressure on the earpads or have a small area for the headband to rest on. Although some headphones can use to get squished in the middle of the headband's padding to get the typical hd650/800 middle scalp relief. The clears don't need that imo.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #6,329 of 12,550
The plug-unplug routine will definitely take a toll on the jacks, leading to plating wear and possibly even loose wobbly jacks over the years.

I like stands, but mostly for the headphones i don't use often. I leave my main headphones lying on the desk.

Imo avoid stands that exert pressure on the earpads or have a small area for the headband to rest on. Although some headphones can use to get squished in the middle of the headband's padding to get the typical hd650/800 middle scalp relief. The clears don't need that imo.

So resting them on a soft cloth on top of a desk should be fine then? I will go that route. :) thanks!

Oct 3, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #6,330 of 12,550
So resting them on a soft cloth on top of a desk should be fine then? I will go that route. :) thanks!

I find most omega stands work well. The pads don't really tend to compress much, depending on how they clamp of course. My Clears sit nicely on my stand and it doesn't put much force on the pads.

Screenshot_20191003-075314.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back