Focal Clear headphones
Jul 16, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #6,047 of 12,550
I have not had the chance to compare it with the Mojo. My experience with the Mojo is very limited. From what I remember the first time I heard it about a year ago it was quite warm and musical. It was a weird setup though, DAP (forget which) -> Mojo -> Valhalla 2 -> Elear.
I wouldn't call the RME warm by any means, and would say it strikes a nice balance between musical and analytical (but might lean slightly towards analytical, especially paired with 789).
Congrats on the Euforia btw! I listened to that beauty at CanJam last month and it was one of the more impressive amps I heard, so much detail for a tube amp. What headphones are you running?
I'm using Clear, LCD-2s (fazor), and modded HD650s. Rule of 8's be damned! I got Euforia last Thursday (probably have 15 hours of burn in done so far) and it's opening up quite nicely. Greatly improved detail and soundstage compared to Mojo alone across each of my headphones, especially the Clears. Shows how well they scale with improvements in your chain. It's really like hearing your music all over again.

Jul 16, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #6,048 of 12,550
I'm using Clear, LCD-2s (fazor), and modded HD650s. Rule of 8's be damned! I got Euforia last Thursday (probably have 15 hours of burn in done so far) and it's opening up quite nicely. Greatly improved detail and soundstage compared to Mojo alone across each of my headphones, especially the Clears. Shows how well they scale with improvements in your chain. It's really like hearing your music all over again.
That’s one hellava amp you have. I to would enjoy listening to the Clear through this baby.

Jul 16, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #6,049 of 12,550
Have you, by chance, compared the DAC section of the ADI-2 w/ the line level out option on the Chord Mojo? I just upgraded my amplification to the Feliks Euforia, and it’s becoming evident with break-in that Mojo is probably the weak point in my set-up. Upgrade-itis hurts :frowning2:
Did you have the chance to compare the TT2 with the Euforia? That would be a full upgrade DAC + Amp, in theory superior to Euforia plus almost any other DAC, but in practice only trying can tell. Some love Chord DACs, others not so much.
Of those 4, I only heard my Mojo, so can't help.
I am only mentioning TT2 because you mention a DAC upgrade, and because I am curious how Euforia would compare to TT2 amp, which price wise is more comparable to Euforia than Mojo, if we divide TT2 price in half for DAC and amp.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #6,050 of 12,550
B47DC083-F0E7-4197-A12F-9D07CE5096EE.jpeg
Here’s Euforia burning in. Going to give it a month before looking at upgrades for the 6N13S power tubes. The EL39s have great reviews. We’ll see where this goes.

Jul 16, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #6,051 of 12,550
Did you have the chance to compare the TT2 with the Euforia? That would be a full upgrade DAC + Amp, in theory superior to Euforia plus almost any other DAC, but in practice only trying can tell. Some love Chord DACs, others not so much.
Of those 4, I only heard my Mojo, so can't help.
I am only mentioning TT2 because you mention a DAC upgrade, and because I am curious how Euforia would compare to TT2 amp, which price wise is more comparable to Euforia than Mojo, if we divide TT2 price in half for DAC and amp.
I have not listened to TT2. Unfortunately there are not any places in Atlanta to audition high-end personal audio components. I've seen that some people prefer the DAC in TT2 over Dave, and that it's a substantial upgrade over Hugo 2. The RME piqued my interest because it seems to be way up top in the price-performance ratio for DAC/Amps. Unfortunately the TT2 is out of my price range right now.

Jul 17, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #6,052 of 12,550
Beautiful thread, ive probably read every page of this!

Ive been bit by the bug again lately and wondering if any of the members here have recently picked up a set of Clears who also own the Elex. With the elear combos and more common “sale” prices of the clears, im going through the endless song and dance debate of whether users tend to pick up a set of Clears to replace my Elex’s, or have people recently stepped up to something like the Stellia.

I heard the Clear Professionals here in Japan and loved how “easy to listen” they are with a noticeable deeper extension. My elex notes make it seem like they are still very close even though I didnt get to A/B my elex, and the fact they only had beautiful high end amp/dac setups to use that i do not have, made it more confusing. also i have never used EQ before, but am curious if people are able to get a “clear” sound.

Im open to everyone’s feedback positive or negative :). It never gets old hearing from real humans to help me spend my money.

Jul 17, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #6,053 of 12,550
I still own a DAC2, which replaced a DAC1. For music, the DAC2 is markedly superior to the DAC1. For TV viewing, the difference might be less noticeable.
For music I now use a Questyle CAS192D Gold Edition DAC feeding a Rogue RH-5, with the DAC2 relegated to occasional TV watching duty. That said, the
ergonomics and reliability of the Benchmark are beyond reproach, and the sound is generally excellent as well.

Agreed on the DAC2 being much superior to the DAC1. I've had both and presently use the DAC2.

Jul 19, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #6,054 of 12,550
Hi, folks. Long time lurker in this thread but been afraid to post, lest the temptation to buy these overtakes me. But it happened anyway and I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Last chance to make your pitch for me to look into something else that would be the best upgrade for long-time Senn HD600 lover (like, really serious 600 lover). Max budget is $1000-1500. I am of course also tempted by the HD800, but the fuller low end of the Clears calls to me, as I frequently feel the need to give my 600's a little eq bump in low bass region (just a little).

Also, I can't decide on the color: cool, stylish silver or bold black & red?
I slightly prefer the silver, but I'm concerned about the pads looking dirty - are they replaceable?

My desktop gear:
Schiit Modi 3
Schiit Loki
JDS Labs Atom

Portable:
FiiO X5ii
Various USB DACs, all by HiFimeDIY

Other HP's:
V-Moda XS
Senn HD 25 Amperior with 70 ohm drivers

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #6,055 of 12,550
Hi, folks. Long time lurker in this thread but been afraid to post, lest the temptation to buy these overtakes me. But it happened anyway and I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Last chance to make your pitch for me to look into something else that would be the best upgrade for long-time Senn HD600 lover (like, really serious 600 lover). Max budget is $1000-1500. I am of course also tempted by the HD800, but the fuller low end of the Clears calls to me, as I frequently feel the need to give my 600's a little eq bump in low bass region (just a little).

I slightly prefer the silver, but I'm concerned about the pads looking dirty - are they replaceable?

My desktop gear:
Schiit Modi 3
Schiit Loki
JDS Labs Atom

Portable:
FiiO X5ii

Other HP's:
V-Moda XS

I also love the hd600 and can say that the focal clear is a great step up. Regardring the hd800 it doesn't sound as good as the clear is what most people seem to agree on.

I actually sold my clears because i found the headphone too bulky and heavy. So keep that in mind certainly when coming from the featherlight hd600.

Hope this helps.

Jul 19, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #6,056 of 12,550
I also love the hd600 and can say that the focal clear is a great step up. Regardring the hd800 it doesn't sound as good as the clear is what most people seem to agree on.

I actually sold my clears because i found the headphone too bulky and heavy. So keep that in mind certainly when coming from the featherlight hd600.

Hope this helps.

That is indeed valuable input, thanks. :)

The problem is I just got my call back from The Source AV. They have been selling Clears at the amazing price of about $1k for quite a while as I understand it, so obviously I called them first. Anyway, he informed me that they recently stopped carrying the Clears because they saw more instances of QC issues than they would like. I'm shocked and disappointed to hear this. So the purchase is on pause while I dig back into this thread and elsewhere online to see what's going on. If anyone wants to repeat their good or bad experiences, or point me to a previous post I'd sure appreciate it.

I've been waiting for this day ever since I heard about the Clears, something like a year ago. I'm devastated. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #6,057 of 12,550

My desktop gear:
Schiit Modi 3
Schiit Loki
JDS Labs Atom

Portable:
FiiO X5ii

Other HP's:
V-Moda XS

The clears are bulky but quite comfortable for long listening sessions. I’ve never felt they were uncomfortable or fatiguing in any way. Unlike the LCD 2s I used to own. It boils down to sound signature. I have the HD650 and have them on the shelf because they never “engaged” me with the music. The clears, to me, have the perfect tonal balance and detail. Pads are replaceable and the suede material is cleanable. Mine are clean after a year of use. I’ve never listened to HD800s by the way. I’d highly suggest an audition of both if possible. Especially if you’re gonna drop that much money.

Jul 19, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #6,058 of 12,550

The problem is I just got my call back from The Source AV. They have been selling Clears at the amazing price of about $1k for quite a while as I understand it, so obviously I called them first. Anyway, he informed me that they recently stopped carrying Focal due to a high number of QC issues -- what??!! I'm shocked and disappointed to hear this. So the purchase is on pause while I dig back into this thread to see what's going. If anyone wants to repeat their bad experience or point me to a previous post I'd sure appreciate it.

I've been wating for this day ever since I heard about the Clears, something like a year ago. I'm devastated. :frowning2:

Another HD600 fan, I’ve owned the Clear since shortly after launch.
They are an amazing set of dynamic overears.
I can recommend them whole heartedly.
I would suggest going to a shop where you can try them on as they do weigh more than the Senns, it’s not bothersome for me, but noticeable.
I’ve had no QC issues at all.

Have you considered buying a pre-owned set?

Jul 19, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #6,059 of 12,550

The problem is I just got my call back from The Source AV. They have been selling Clears at the amazing price of about $1k for quite a while as I understand it, so obviously I called them first. Anyway, he informed me that they recently stopped carrying Focal due to a high number of QC issues -- what??!! I'm shocked and disappointed to hear this. So the purchase is on pause while I dig back into this thread to see what's going. If anyone wants to repeat their bad experience or point me to a previous post I'd sure appreciate it.

I've been wating for this day ever since I heard about the Clears, something like a year ago. I'm devastated. :frowning2:

TSAV seems to be a major vendor presence on HeadFi. Their reputation is solid from what I’ve read. But, they are only one vendor. Focal sets the price of their products. If TSAV sells them for $1k, others will too. Remember, those who spend $1500 on headphones and have issues will be much more vocal than the others that didn’t. I wouldn’t let that alone stop you.

Jul 19, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #6,060 of 12,550
Another HD600 fan, I’ve owned the Clear since shortly after launch.
They are an amazing set of dynamic overears.
I can recommend them whole heartedly.
I would suggest going to a shop where you can try them on as they do weigh more than the Senns, it’s not bothersome for me, but noticeable.
I’ve had no QC issues at all.

Have you considered buying a pre-owned set?

I usually do buy used, but with the specter of possible defects now raised I think I'd prefer to have a warranty. Problem is: $1k was a stretch, so $1.5k? Well Schiit, I dunno that I can swing it right now.

I'm in no real hurry and content to wait until some money frees up in the next few months. But I happen to have a Questyle QP1R here right now that I'm trying out and will be sending back soon. I'm not hearing any significant difference between it and my FiiO X5ii, which shocked me considering all the universal raves. I don't know what's letting me down: my worn out ears or my 600's. So I was excited to finally get a set of Clears while I still have the QP1R, to help settle the issue for me. (I mean, it'd be kinda great if my hearing just isn't good enough to justify anything better than a FiiO -- great for my savings account, that is).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back