Focal Clear headphones
Apr 9, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #5,837 of 12,543
Well, thanks to maternal crafting prowess, we eliminated the uneasy fear of headband wear:

4bU19Nz.jpg

I think it turned out rather nicely. :D

Apr 9, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #5,838 of 12,543
Well, thanks to maternal crafting prowess, we eliminated the uneasy fear of headband wear:

4bU19Nz.jpg

I think it turned out rather nicely. :D

Nice, although the change in sound signature ... :beyersmile: ...

Apr 9, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #5,840 of 12,543
They're open back, just like their relatives.

Now can we move on?
Whether it is open or closed is not like 0 or 1. There is degree of openness like 0.5, and that is what I meant.
Anyways, the Clear is more open sounding than the Utopia to my ears. That may be one reason why some people prefer thr Clear to the Utopia. But the Utopia has better bass and resolution.

Apr 9, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #5,841 of 12,543
Theory, measurements, and listening tests give us reason to believe that any audible differences between DACs and amps are generally a lot smaller than the 'night and day' perceived differences which are often reported.

The differences may not be "night and day," but many of us do perceive audible differences between DACs and amps. There will always be people who say that there are NO audible differences because they hear none or because they "listen" to measurements rather than to music.

Apr 9, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #5,842 of 12,543
The differences may not be "night and day," but many of us do perceive audible differences between DACs and amps. There will always be people who say that there are NO audible differences because they hear none or because they "listen" to measurements rather than to music.
This isn’t directed at you but just a general comment on all this nonsense. If anyone hears, thinks they hear, don’t think they hear, yadda, yadda, yadda in DAC differences, so be it. Everyone’s entitled to their opion on what they hear or don’t hear. Spend $100 or $10,000. Does it really matter to anyone other then the person who owns the equipment? Let this rest please.
I want to read more posts about the Clear and your opinions on that!

Apr 9, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #5,843 of 12,543
This isn’t directed at you but just a general comment on all this nonsense. If anyone hears, thinks they hear, don’t think they hear, yadda, yadda, yadda in DAC differences, so be it. Everyone’s entitled to their opion on what they hear or don’t hear. Spend $100 or $10,000. Does it really matter to anyone other then the person who owns the equipment? Let this rest please.
I want to read more posts about the Clear and your opinions on that!

+1

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #5,844 of 12,543
Whether it is open or closed is not like 0 or 1. There is degree of openness like 0.5, and that is what I meant.
Anyways, the Clear is more open sounding than the Utopia to my ears. That may be one reason why some people prefer thr Clear to the Utopia. But the Utopia has better bass and resolution.
this "degree of openness" that you refer to is arbitrary. the fact remains that the utopia and clear are open-backed headphones. unlike the hd800, neither are renowned for their expansive "soundstaging". if the clear sounds more open to you than the utopia then that's how you perceive it. others may perceive it differently, however, and prefer the clear to the utopia for different reasons such as its tonal balance.

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #5,845 of 12,543
this "degree of openness" that you refer to is arbitrary. the fact remains that the utopia and clear are open-backed headphones. unlike the hd800, neither are renowned for their expansive "soundstaging". if the clear sounds more open to you than the utopia then that's how you perceive it. others may perceive it differently, however, and prefer the clear to the utopia for different reasons such as its tonal balance.

It is not arbitrary at all. Different headphones have different degree of openness. That is the FACT.

However, you may disagree with my perception that the Clear sounds more open than the Utopia.
So I already said in my previous post to my ears.
I also have seen some people reported that the Clear sounds more airy than the Utopia. I do agree with them. But you are entitled to disagree with their perception.

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #5,846 of 12,543
It is not arbitrary at all. Different headphones have different degree of openness. That is the FACT.

However, you may disagree with my perception that the Clear sounds more open than the Utopia.
So I already said in my previous post to my ears.
I also have seen some people reported that the Clear sounds more airy than the Utopia. I do agree with them. But you are entitled to disagree with their perception.
i was referring to the "degree of openness" as you described it, and the arbitrary figure that you created and apportioned to it, which is based entirely on your subjective impression

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #5,847 of 12,543
i was referring to the "degree of openness" as you described it, and the arbitrary figure that you created and apportioned to it, which is based entirely on your subjective impression

So I always said "to my ears." and acknowledged it is my subjective impression. Does it bother you?

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #5,848 of 12,543
I've been reading replies to this thread for weeks and it's truly remarkable how passionate many of us are about the Focal Clear's. Every time I wear mine, it's a sublime experience. I can find no fault in them except they are are NOT bass heavy - and that's fine. If I never buy another pair of high-end cans, that's fine, these masterpieces are perfect - for MY ears. I am by no means a tech-head or electrical engineer who debates incessantly in terms many of us do not understand. Hearing is subjective and NO ONE hears the same things in all songs - all the time. What I hear in a song and what impresses me and makes me happy about what I HEAR, is all that any of us should care about on a singular, personal level. There is no one "best" or perfect headphone. They all have their pluses and minuses, however, the perfect and best headphone, is the one YOU say is. For ME, the Clear is perfect and the best. Happy listening everyone! What an amazing thread! PEACE.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #5,850 of 12,543
My thoughts exactly...makes them warmer! :wink:
It definitely gets more of a "cozy", "cuddly", "sitting in front of a warm fire place" quality. I quite like it. *chuckles*

I can find no fault in them except they are are NOT bass heavy - and that's fine.
I don't know man, compared to my DT-880, sometimes the Clear hits me like a truck on Kickbass. I doubt I could withstand a "bass heavy" can for long w/o getting a headache. :X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back