Focal Clear headphones
Apr 11, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #5,867 of 12,550
Quick question. Do these create a sealed air pocket like planars, or is it air permeable like an HD650? Sealed air pocket as in with Audezes where if you press the cups against your head you can feel the air pressure against your eardrum.

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #5,868 of 12,550
Quick question. Do these create a sealed air pocket like planars, or is it air permeable like an HD650? Sealed air pocket as in with Audezes where if you press the cups against your head you can feel the air pressure against your eardrum.

Couldn't be more permeable, no air pocket, you can see the moon and the stars through them ...

Apr 12, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #5,869 of 12,550
"Unfortunately" he says *chuckles*.
Though if one owns the Utopia, I guess there is no need for the rest of the open Focal family.

I actually owned both. It depends. If you primarily listen to acoustic or classic music which is mid-centric, the Utopia would be a good choice.
But if you enjoy certain electronic music that is heavy on treble from 6k~, you would find the Utopia sounds more metalica than the Clear.

Apr 12, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #5,870 of 12,550
I actually owned both. It depends. If you primarily listen to acoustic or classic music which is mid-centric, the Utopia would be a good choice.
But if you enjoy certain electronic music that is heavy on treble from 6k~, you would find the Utopia sounds more metalica than the Clear.
Well, not a problem for me. Shelling out 1.5K was insane enough, I don't think I could buy the Utopia in good conscience. Not until my student loans are dealt with, anyway.
Maybe I'll get the Utopia MK II in a decade or so. :D

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #5,872 of 12,550

Definitely disagree as I find them great for all genres and have never found them to be metallic in comparison to another headphone or absolutely.

Apr 12, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #5,873 of 12,550
I don't know man, compared to my DT-880, sometimes the Clear hits me like a truck on Kickbass. I doubt I could withstand a "bass heavy" can for long w/o getting a headache. :X
I share your experiences.
I use the USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO Software, which comes with a parametric equalizer and I have increased the bass region around 50Hz to 200Hz and Upper bass to lower midrange: 200Hz to 800Hz ever so slightly.
The bass I get now is full and rich, with an almost bodily punch and if the kickdrums or kettle drums set in, I can almost feel it in my stomach. I am afraid that more bass would blow out my eardrums, so I cannot imagine that people feel the Clear lack bass without being overpowered by more bass.

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #5,874 of 12,550
Anyone with the Sony MDR-Z1R and Focal Clear do a comparison for me?

Listen to a loaner set of Z1R at the moment, and they are a solid headphone, but not a lot WOWs me.

I tried the Z1R and hated it (ok, let's say I didn't like it). I love the Clear.

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #5,875 of 12,550
Definitely disagree as I find them great for all genres and have never found them to be metallic in comparison to another headphone or absolutely.

Definitely my ears, your ears.

Also it is known that there is a product variation, so individual utopias measure differently.

So my utopia, your utopia.

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #5,877 of 12,550
Source on this known audible product variation on the Utopia?

Being that there isn’t any variation it would be hard pressed to find a factual source. This statement comes from a rumor from 2 years ago. It was debunked

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #5,879 of 12,550
Being that there isn’t any variation it would be hard pressed to find a factual source. This statement comes from a rumor from 2 years ago. It was debunked

"Unit to unit variation" is just the result of two people who can't find another way to politely disagree about the sound of a particular model of headphones.

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #5,880 of 12,550
I picked up new clears today and I have to admit my first impression is that treble is boosted in the sibilance range and they sound thin. It doesn't seem to play well with poor recordings. Others don't seem to have the sibilance issue so I'm almost wondering if I got a defective pair. That's how strong it is. Cymbals sound kind of like sheets of aluminum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back