Focal Clear headphones
Mar 4, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #5,568 of 12,550
Mar 4, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #5,569 of 12,550
What is it that you dislike about Hifiman treble and which Hifiman? From my first impressions with the Arya, trebles sound pretty sweet. But they are definitely present. If you're used to an Audeze signature, I could imagine Hifiman sounds too bright. If you're used to a HD800, not so much....

Actually, headphones traditionally described as "bright" have never been an issue with me. In fact, my major complaint with the LCD-2 was lack of extension in the treble.
For me, the HifiMAN HE-6 treble sounded somewhat dry, mechanical and unnatural, with touches of "plasma arc welder".

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #5,571 of 12,550
Placement in space is excellent. Soundstage height, width and depth are recording-dependent. Some reviewers have slighted the Clear [and the Utopia], saying "small soundstage", but that has not been my experience. The Clear's soundstage can sound limitless with the one recording but constrained with another.

Another thing I really like about the Clear is the very natural "bloom" of instruments/vocals into the sound space. Elements do not remain isolated [cut off from other elements] with respect to their unique placements, but really fill the listening space very fully and naturally. With the Utopia, the space is even more fully, naturally, musically--and might I add, beautifully--saturated.

For my ears, this is where the Focals really lead the competition.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #5,572 of 12,550
I also find the soundstaging of my Clear to be dependent on the recordings. With chamber-sized groups, it is intimate, with orchestra-sized groups it is considerably larger. With the binaural recordings I own, the soundstage is very expansive and quite holographic.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #5,576 of 12,550
After Friday's "weather delay" for the UPS delivery of my Focal Clear headphones, I was happy to find them get delivered today. I unpacked them and hooked them up to the amp for a couple of hours to warm up from sitting outside in the 40 degree weather and to open up the drivers a bit. Needless to say, I've had them on for the past 4+ hours pushing lots of music through them. I've even flipped from the OEM fenestrated pads to the Dekoni sheepskin fenestrated pads. The Dekoni pads frustrated me with the Utopias because the Dekoni pads didn't quite have that buttery feel to the leather like the Focal leather pads featured. With the Utopia out of the picture, the Dekoni seems workable once again to me.

I've had the Elear, Utopias and now have the Elex, Elegia and the Clears. I'm really enjoying the sound - nice and balanced with a quite good low end (Etta James). The detail on the upper end has me pleased. When I had the Utopias, I only utilized them for less than 2 hours and listed them for sale. Not that I disliked the Utopia in any way - I truly loved the sound. But, the reality is, I'm a headphone "enthusiast" and I've realized I don't want to own a pair of "end game" headphones because I enjoy this hobby to much too buy a TOTL pair and not touch another headphone. Most likely, I just keep the Clear and the Elegia and be content - for today.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #5,577 of 12,550
After Friday's "weather delay" for the UPS delivery of my Focal Clear headphones, I was happy to find them get delivered today. I unpacked them and hooked them up to the amp for a couple of hours to warm up from sitting outside in the 40 degree weather and to open up the drivers a bit. Needless to say, I've had them on for the past 4+ hours pushing lots of music through them. I've even flipped from the OEM fenestrated pads to the Dekoni sheepskin fenestrated pads. The Dekoni pads frustrated me with the Utopias because the Dekoni pads didn't quite have that buttery feel to the leather like the Focal leather pads featured. With the Utopia out of the picture, the Dekoni seems workable once again to me.

I've had the Elear, Utopias and now have the Elex, Elegia and the Clears. I'm really enjoying the sound - nice and balanced with a quite good low end (Etta James). The detail on the upper end has me pleased. When I had the Utopias, I only utilized them for less than 2 hours and listed them for sale. Not that I disliked the Utopia in any way - I truly loved the sound. But, the reality is, I'm a headphone "enthusiast" and I've realized I don't want to own a pair of "end game" headphones because I enjoy this hobby to much too buy a TOTL pair and not touch another headphone. Most likely, I just keep the Clear and the Elegia and be content - for today.

How do you find the Clear vs the Elex?

Mar 5, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #5,578 of 12,550
How do you find the Clear vs the Elex?

The Clear has a bit of a better low end, by a slight margin. Similar mids. However, in the upper frequencies, I feel that the detail is there without being over-emphasized. Then again, using MSRP, the Clear is 2x the price of the Elex. However, the Elex still doesn't disappoint me. But, the Clear is there for those who want to squeeze a bit more out of their music, but don't want to reach all the way to the Utopia.

I still haven't tried the Elex pads on the Clear yet. Tomorrow night will leave room for that.

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #5,580 of 12,550

How do Clear and Elegia compare, especially in the low end?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back