Focal Clear headphones
Sep 7, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #4,411 of 12,588
Hi - quick question - where exactly are you applying the Teflon lube? In the gap where the yokes connect, or do you unscrew the two plastic ‘holders’ where the yokes go in and apply the lube further up the headband?

No need to remove anything. Use the straw that comes with the Teflon spray and use that to spray up into the headband/yokes and let it dry.

Works pretty well.

Sep 7, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #4,412 of 12,588
No need to remove anything. Use the straw that comes with the Teflon spray and use that to spray up into the headband/yokes and let it dry.

Works pretty well.
Great, thanks. Where I live I can only get the squeeze bottle (not spray) so will have to carefully drip a drop or two into the yoke openings. Hope it works.

Sep 7, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #4,413 of 12,588
Things I'd like to see from Focal in the future:

- User replaceable headband. Suspension headband would be pretty good but even if not, look at how Sennheiser does it. You should be able to replace the soft padded bits yourself.
- More flexible cables. The Clear was a step up in that regard but the cable is still stiff and a bit clunky.
- More driver excursion. You shouldn't be bottoming it out at normal volumes, ever. Note that this is very rare, but "very rare" isn't "doesn't happen at all."
- Get rid of the resonances and peaks in the highs. Yes, these are metal driver problems but the response through the highs is not remotely as linear as it is through the bass and mids.
- Also get rid of the resonance at 22-23khz, supposedly this is why they have a slightly metallic tone. They improved it in the Clear over the Elear but it needs to be improved still. I think the Utopia doesn't have it.

That's honestly all I can think of. Focal's headphones are pretty legit as is. And some of these problems are already solvable.
Nice list. I’m with you on 1 and 2. I’ve already had a custom cable made for my Elear - so cable issues sorted. Suspension headband...watch this space. As for sound I actually have zero issues with my Elear + Dekoni pads. I can’t even hear 15khz let alone 23, and don’t really find the treble troublemsome.

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #4,415 of 12,588
Just got the Clear's a week ago. Previously had the Elear's and Focal essentially fixed everything that was wrong with them: the sound, the cables / accessories, and the look.

It's a shame, my Clear's are already creaking at the left and right hinges and I've been babying them the entire time. The right hinge started creaking first. I had two different pairs of Elear's and they both creaked as well. They need to fix the design...

Besides that, I'm going to be happy with this until I save up money towards a Utopia 2... whenever that'll be.

I’m on my second pair of Clear and haven’t had any issues with creaking.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #4,416 of 12,588
Sep 7, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #4,417 of 12,588
Great, thanks. Where I live I can only get the squeeze bottle (not spray) so will have to carefully drip a drop or two into the yoke openings. Hope it works.

I use it on all sorts of stuff, actually just used it on a ceiling fan swivel joint that was making a constant squeak.

It worked on my Elear before I sold them, my Utopia haven't given me an issue, and I remember a couple other Elear owners reporting good results.

Sep 7, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #4,418 of 12,588
Listening with Clear and chance upon a video shared by a friend on Facebook. Woa... this group (Home Free) sounds amazing... and hear that bass coming in at about 1:56min.

Their take of Thomas Rhett - Die a Happy Man is pretty cool too...

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #4,419 of 12,588
Very happy to report that I finally got all of the necessary Windows drivers and settings back in place (I removed everything and reinstalled the drivers in an attempt to get the RME ADI-2 DAC to sound like I had anticipated), plugged the Clears (Pro's) into the ifi Black Label, and I'm back to bopping my head again to the music. I'll easily recommend the BL to anybody looking for a desktop DAC/AMP (as it was suggested to me over MANY "desktop" options). Sound being "subjective"...it's "my opinion" (and experience) that the Black Label completely blows the RME out of the water with the Clears using only the default settings.

:slight_smile:

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #4,420 of 12,588
Just adding to the chorus, these are great. They do seem like they are in the lineage of the 600/650 but when I put on my 600s after listening to these they sound like total trash. No depth and no image. The 600s still do have a fast direct high end thats useful for engineering, the Clears are a bit more diffuse. But overall these are the best I've found yet.

Sep 9, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #4,421 of 12,588
Just adding to the chorus, these are great. They do seem like they are in the lineage of the 600/650 but when I put on my 600s after listening to these they sound like total trash. No depth and no image. The 600s still do have a fast direct high end thats useful for engineering, the Clears are a bit more diffuse. But overall these are the best I've found yet.
I feel you on this man, except I don't think the 600's sound like trash when compared ha. I think the Clears win, but DANG the 600's are such a solid can.

Sep 10, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #4,422 of 12,588
I feel you on this man, except I don't think the 600's sound like trash when compared ha. I think the Clears win, but DANG the 600's are such a solid can.
Not trash, but wow no depth whatsoever. And really no image either, just a very flat presentation. But freq wise they are still quite good. Headphone technology has come a loooong way. They are 1/5the price though.

Sep 10, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #4,424 of 12,588
How do the Focal Clear sound out of a Chord Mojo? I have only listened to them out of the Questyle 600i which sounded great to me. However I cannot buy both and already have the Mojo.
Not sure of the question, but I have the Clears and a Mojo and the combination is great. I think it's bt'Ietter than other pairings I've tried like Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Asgard 2, iFi iDSD BL, and a few others. I tried it with a Chord Hugo also, and it was just spectacular. (I'm hoping Santa brings me a Hugo this year!). The Mojo really sounds great with the Clears, no complaints. The combo is now the one I spend the most time with.

Sep 10, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #4,425 of 12,588
I tend to think everything sounds good out of the mojo, as long as the phones themselves are good. I like how uncolored and resolved it is. I use these for audio work so I wouldn’t want a slow/dark sounding amp/dac.

Also it fits perfectly in the middle of the clear headphone case!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back