Focal Clear headphones
Mar 26, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #3,211 of 12,550
BTW, regarding cleaning, the reason why I was concerned about keeping the Clear's Alcantara headband clean and even covered was because the headband is not removable or replaceable if it gets really cruddy. And even cleaning it would not take all the dirt off. By contrast, the Clear's earpads can eventually be replaced if they get really bad. Replacement earpads for the Clear are not yet available but when they are will likely have a high price since the Elear's replacement earpads are $150 per pair and the Utopia's a massive $248 per pair. So what would be a guess for the Clear? Maybe the midpoint between the Elear's and Utopia's earpads which would be $199 per pair.

It's a shame the Focal headphones are not modular so parts could be obtained and installed by the user. But, you can't have everything in life.

The Clear headband looks replaceable to me. There's two screws on each side of the metal mount at the end of the headband where the sliding mechanism is, I'm betting loosening those would separate the driver mounts from the headband and you can then slide in a new headband.

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #3,212 of 12,550
BTW, regarding cleaning, the reason why I was concerned about keeping the Clear's Alcantara headband clean and even covered was because the headband is not removable or replaceable if it gets really cruddy. And even cleaning it would not take all the dirt off. By contrast, the Clear's earpads can eventually be replaced if they get really bad. Replacement earpads for the Clear are not yet available but when they are will likely have a high price since the Elear's replacement earpads are $150 per pair and the Utopia's a massive $248 per pair. So what would be a guess for the Clear? Maybe the midpoint between the Elear's and Utopia's earpads which would be $199 per pair.

It's a shame the Focal headphones are not modular so parts could be obtained and installed by the user. But, you can't have everything in life.

Practical consideration I would say. Well... for me, I’m using a headband cover to hopefully prolong the need to change the headband.

267E3F9A-0FFB-40D9-A8E2-3C5EE9D97B2D.jpeg

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #3,213 of 12,550
Practical consideration I would say. Well... for me, I’m using a headband cover to hopefully prolong the need to change the headband.

That's nicely done. What did you use and how is it kept in place?

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #3,216 of 12,550
That's nicely done. What did you use and how is it kept in place?

It’s held together by press-buttons. The buttons have padding in between them and the headband (see pic with thumb). Maybe photos from different angle will help... (see below)

I got these from local re-seller in Singapore (PM me if you're interested in getting one in SG) but I did a google and do see something similar (I can't confirm its the same) on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-Replacement-Protector/dp/B00OF71WWO).

BB524170-021E-4036-B96A-963F3A737C4C.jpeg

23FE4901-AA22-411D-B8A4-D59A318E58A3.jpeg

15582EC4-DD89-49E1-BE24-80FBD4F3C44F.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #3,218 of 12,550
It’s held together by press-buttons. The buttons have padding in between them and the headband (see pic with thumb). Maybe photos from different angle will help... (see below)

I got these from local re-seller in Singapore (PM me if you're interested in getting one in SG) but I did a google and do see something similar (I can't confirm its the same) on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-Replacement-Protector/dp/B00OF71WWO).

it's like a cardigan :wink:

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #3,219 of 12,550
I have the Amazon item as padding for my work M40X. It works pretty well, but be warned that the "red" is definitely pink. It looks exactly like the pictures. I was fooled by them calling it red in the description.

Ahh... not for Clear Professional then... black one might work though.

it's like a cardigan :wink:

Sexy one I hope :smile:... it's showing quite a bit of skin viewed from the top. Hahaa!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #3,220 of 12,550

Hmmm... thanks for sharing, I guess I'm gone give my wife one hour labour work.

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #3,221 of 12,550
So no one has used Black Dragon cables with their Clears? Or any other cable besides Norne? The 10 food stock cable will be too short for me so I wanted some feedback on others.

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #3,222 of 12,550
Also if you do use another cable, please describe why. Meaning, was there something negative about the Clears that another cable helped tame?

Mar 27, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #3,223 of 12,550
Also if you do use another cable, please describe why. Meaning, was there something negative about the Clears that another cable helped tame?
Nothing wrong with the stock cables. My experience with aftermarket cables has been nothing but positive. I spent a lot of time researching different cable manufacturers and reading customer reviews before finding what I wanted. Some folks believe that wire is wire and that premium cables of any sort are nothing but snake oil. It's not been the case in my experience. I will only buy from Trevor for many reasons. The Solvine cable that I received yesterday sounds sensational and I'm extremely pleased with my decision to pick up a cable that utilizes both OCC Copper and OCC Silver. My IEM cables are pure Silver and that's all I have experience with. It's too soon to be able to express the difference that the new cable presents, but I've decided to use that tactic that is often used in stereo shops. Start with a higher performing piece of gear than what the customer is looking for, and then let them listen to what's not there in what they came in to buy. So I'm going to spend time with Clears and the new cable from Norne, and then try the stock cable again down the road to hear the difference (if there is any at all). It's just my preference to buy a handmade premium cable instead of using something mass produced. It could entirely be a placebo effect and everybody that believes that there's no difference might be right.

:wink:

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #3,224 of 12,550
The Clear headband looks replaceable to me. There's two screws on each side of the metal mount at the end of the headband where the sliding mechanism is, I'm betting loosening those would separate the driver mounts from the headband and you can then slide in a new headband.

I've been in contact with the U.S. Focal support and wrote this morning asking about a replaceable headband. Here is the response:

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 11:40 AM, Eric Adler (Service) <service@audioplusservices.com> wrote:

David,

The headband will be available as a part eventually. I have the parts list, but not the prices yet.

Take care,

ERIC ADLER
FOCAL NORTH AMERICA // S U P P O R T & S E R V I C E
8 0 0 . 6 6 3 . 9 3 5 2 x 9

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #3,225 of 12,550
I believe that Eric was the same person that informed me that the Clear Professional was going to be tuned differently than the Clear. Similar to what they did with the Listen and Listen Professional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back