Focal Clear headphones
Jan 25, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #2,131 of 12,609
HD600/650 are studio monitors?

They might be a bit veiled and not getting most of the details but they are used by producers for tracking.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #2,134 of 12,609
"Hi Phil,

Clear and Clear Professional are very similar. Indeed, only the finishes Black and Red Vs Grey) and the accessories supplied are different.
Clear Professional is sold with a 5m coiled cable, a 1.2m cable, a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter and a pair of additional cushions.

Best regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal"

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #2,135 of 12,609
They might be a bit veiled and not getting most of the details but they are used by producers for tracking.
Most all-round studio monitors are closed.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #2,136 of 12,609
"Hi Phil,

Clear and Clear Professional are very similar. Indeed, only the finishes Black and Red Vs Grey) and the accessories supplied are different.
Clear Professional is sold with a 5m coiled cable, a 1.2m cable, a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter and a pair of additional cushions.

Best regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal"

Thanks for sharing that confirmation. I guess we can all go back to arguing about Clear compared to other headphones.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #2,137 of 12,609
Most all-round studio monitors are closed.

Says who? Most of the producers I knew personally were using the AKG 240 and they are not closed.

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #2,141 of 12,609
Looking at the specs and descriptions of Clear Professional it doesn't sound like anything is different? All the spec numbers match up exactly. It really seems to come down to accessories. The Clear Professional comes with the shorter 1.2m 3.5mm TRS cable and a new 5m coiled 1/4" TRS cable. You don't get a balanced cable with Clear Professional, but it does come with an extra set of pads. It will be interesting to see if there really are any tuning differences.

Very good point. In the user manual, it says it comes with 2 replacement ear cushions. They might've concluded that Clear does not need a balanced cable as it is highly efficient. The extra set of ear cushions might be more beneficial practically.

But they release a new product in a very fast pace. (probably faster 100x than sennheiser) It makes many people reluctant to buy focals and wait to see what they will offer.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #2,142 of 12,609
I remember someone thinking the red pads were photo-shopped and it wasn't a real product. Yet another validation of Nomax, the intrepid headphone reporter. :darthsmile:

Don't forget the LOL

Regards NOMAX

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #2,143 of 12,609
So, I've been looking to upgrade from my venerable HiFiman 400S headphones. I've been reading this thread and considering the Clears. Can anyone give me a comparison between the 2?
FYI, I use a Onkyo DP-X1 as a source and listen to jazz & rock.

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #2,145 of 12,609
One thing is for certain. This headphone should be more neutral as it is aimed at studio use :p

It is not as bad as the picture Nomad showed, but I think the all black of the Utopia looks the best.

Let’s hope there will also come a closed variant.

I hope Clear professional is more neutral.

I am still uncertain, but after careful listening, Upper-mid and lower-treble is slightly shouty. Initially, I thought macro/micro dynamics is too aggressive to my ears, but it seems like it is because of a slight dip in the upper-mid and lower-treble. I think fluidity slightly suffers in those regions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back