Focal Clear headphones
Jan 24, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #2,101 of 12,550
I am wondering that as well. From my time with the Utopia, it should make a very good studio headphones, so would wonder how that stacks with the Clear.

Jan 24, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #2,102 of 12,550
I guess the simplest way I can put it is that it's like the difference between "too-bass-light" and "bass-just-right". :nerd:
OK. It's usually the level of bass that people refer to.

When I got the Diana, it was the depiction of bass moving, coming out of an amp, or out of the body of an acoustic bass, and existing in space....as opposed to a low frequency "product" that oozed out of the drivers (like toothpaste out of a tube). For my ears, that was "better" bass!

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #2,103 of 12,550
Well I do, because too me, they sound totally different. I compared the Clear to my GH1 w/G cushions (at 1/2 the price) because I felt this was a much more level playing field due to their similar tonalities.

You seem to be an outlier, I went through a lot of the Grado Line, I may be an outlier here, but the Clear blows everything there away. With the Herron 5, MICROZOTL 2, and two excellent R2R DACS, I prefer the Clear, just didn’t care for the tone of the Senny, as I’ve read here, it’s much thinner than live instruments. Since you prefer the Grado and Sen, your preference may be for that sound, wear it proud and listen to what you like, they are your ears.

Human nature is we like to have our preferences validated by others, I’d like to think I’m past that, but can’t honestly say I am. We all have vary degrees of this ailment.

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #2,104 of 12,550
While I listen to a lot of acoustic/vocals (no problems with HD 800 S), the bass issue is mostly highlighted in more mainstream genres like pop, rock, electronica and hip hop - for those genres I often find the HD 800 S bass response somewhat lacking.
I listen to different types of Jazz (mostly instrumental). I don't listen to Pop, Electronica or Hip Hop at all, so this is why I don't have the bass issue either.

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #2,105 of 12,550
Since you prefer the Grado and Sen, your preference may be for that sound, wear it proud and listen to what you like, they are your ears.

Human nature is we like to have our preferences validated by others, I’d like to think I’m past that, but can’t honestly say I am. We all have vary degrees of this ailment.
I agree with this.
My point between the Clear & 800S was that their 2 different sounding headphone too me, and shouldn't be compared. But, I do prefer my GH1 w/G to the Clear, but that's another subject.

PS: I did and do think the Clear is a very nice sounding headphone as I've previously mentioned, but yes, I do prefer the tonality of the Grado.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #2,106 of 12,550
I agree that it makes sense to compare headphones with similar tonal balance. I does help those looking for that particular sound. I really wonder about comparing headphones just because they have a similar price but have completely different sound signatures. Almost like comparing a pickup truck and a car because they are priced the same. Having said that, one would think that with very expensive headphones, they should be offering a similar sound signature....a relatively even and neutral one.

All comparisons are valid, even different sounding headphones with similar price. I bet there are some people reading all these posts with a budget in mind trying to decide if they go with the 800s or the or the clear.

I don’t see anything wrong comparing a $400 headphone with a $1500 o $2000+ headphone. We all know that the price differences are huge but the the sound performance is not that different.

A good example is the HD650. This headphone is probably compared with every single audiophile headphone that comes out, regardless of price or sound signature :)

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #2,107 of 12,550
All comparisons are valid, even different sounding headphones with similar price. I bet there are some people reading all these posts with a budget in mind trying to decide if they go with the 800s or the or the clear.

I don’t see anything wrong comparing a $400 headphone with a $1500 o $2000+ headphone. We all know that the price differences are huge but the the sound performance is not that different.

A good example is the HD650. This headphone is probably compared with every single audiophile headphone that comes out, regardless of price or sound signature :)
800S are a blast. The problem is. Your limited to certain file/ genres..

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #2,108 of 12,550
You seem to be an outlier, I went through a lot of the Grado Line, I may be an outlier here, but the Clear blows everything there away. With the Herron 5, MICROZOTL 2, and two excellent R2R DACS, I prefer the Clear, just didn’t care for the tone of the Senny, as I’ve read here, it’s much thinner than live instruments. Since you prefer the Grado and Sen, your preference may be for that sound, wear it proud and listen to what you like, they are your ears.

Hahaha wait until you reach my age. You won’t care if anyone validates your preferences anymore. :) cheers!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 24, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #2,109 of 12,550
I have a set of headphones that are like hearing the concert from the parking lot outside the arena, in your car, with the windows rolled up. Not sure if anyone needs to know which ones they are. They are in my profile though.

Hahaha! That’s hilarious You really made laugh. Now I am very curious to know which headphones you are referring to.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #2,111 of 12,550
@Wildcatsare1

Human nature is we like to have our preferences validated by others, I’d like to think I’m past that, but can’t honestly say I am. We all have vary degrees of this ailment.”

I like that. Nice post

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #2,112 of 12,550
I agree with this 100%. Price is irrelevant.
I just disagreed about the the Clear/800S being compared because of their totally different sound signatures. I've heard, and own headphones that cost a fraction of some TOTL that I much prefer.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #2,113 of 12,550
Hahaha! That’s hilarious You really made laugh. Now I am very curious to know which headphones you are referring to.
Think of another word for flame or torch that starts with F.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #2,114 of 12,550

All good points. My philosophy has always been that opinions and comparisons should be used as a guideline only, to get you in the ballpark. People should use their ears to make their ultimate decision, especially when it is an expensive flagship. That's why I think comparisons of a similar sonic signature are very important. One could find the sound they are looking for in a less expensive model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back