Focal Clear headphones
Jan 4, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #1,546 of 12,548
Been listening to the Clear/WA6 combo, and this pairing sounds just fine to my ears...a pleasure to listen too. I highly doubt you'll have any complaints if you're considering this combo. You'll also be able to manipulate the sound to your preference with some tube rolling.

Thank you for the update! I'd rather not spring for the WA6SE if the WA6 has enough power to drive the Clears.

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,547 of 12,548
Thank you for the update! I'd rather not spring for the WA6SE if the WA6 has enough power to drive the Clears.
You're welcome.
Definitely no need at all for the 6-SE with the Clear. Besides, the WA6 has more tube rolling options and takes up less real estate. I actually sold my WA6 at one point and purchased the 6-SE and immediatley regretted it, so I sold the 6-SE after 20 days (missed the return window) and purchased the WA6 again and never looked back. This combo sounds so nice that I'm considering purchasing the Clear.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #1,549 of 12,548
A speaker is simply what all you guys need.

A focal clear speaker, made of transparent material so clear that you can see right through it, as if there’s nothing at all.

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #1,551 of 12,548
How much sound Clear leaks outward? hd800s was not acceptable to my family, but aeon open flow does not bother them as much. Could anyone compare its sound leakage to hd800s or aeon flow open?

I have the Focal Clear with me on hand right now, and it is leaking sound almost as much as HD800 based on what I could recall.

It is a fully open headphone with no buffer/cushioning material.

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #1,552 of 12,548
In some recent posts I've seen lot of feedback about pairing Clear with Mojo. Has anyone tried Clear with iDSD Black Label? Is it good match as well?

I’m on the Tour, though I’m at the end of the list so it may be awhile. I’ll compare the iDSD Micro to the Mojo and Heir Rendition, BlueSound Node 2, and a Soerkus, as well as my desktop stuff.

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,553 of 12,548
In some recent posts I've seen lot of feedback about pairing Clear with Mojo. Has anyone tried Clear with iDSD Black Label? Is it good match as well?
I just got a pair of Clear’s yesterday; I’ll give them a try with my iDSD BL over the next few days and report back. I don’t see why they wouldn’t be a good pair.

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #1,554 of 12,548
I want a Clear that is as light as helium so I have to tie a brick to them when not in use.

Hahaha me too! I’m already light headed but I need something I really don’t need.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 4, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #1,556 of 12,548
Given how easy the Clear are to drive they should get to full capabilities without much amplification. I stuck them into an LG v30 (the 55ohm triggered its high-impedance mode) and they were stunning. Dropping big amounts on beefy amps it more a case of finding an amp with a sound you like, not because the Clear has need for all that power.

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #1,557 of 12,548
I know everyone keeps asking about amp pairings, but I feel like you are missing the point of the Focal Clear. It is easily driven well and should sound great out of anything with decent power and low output impedance. Pairing it with higher output impedance tube amps could also be good but will start to color it and that just comes down to personal preference. But one of the biggest selling points for Clear is that it is so easily driven well and doesn't require the finicky (and often expensive) amp considerations of something like HD800. I also think that means HD800 can ultimately scale higher, but at a much greater cost. The Clear is just great in having a very pleasing tonal balance and presentation without needing a lot of source considerations and EQ to get it to sound right.

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #1,558 of 12,548
I know everyone keeps asking about amp pairings, but I feel like you are missing the point of the Focal Clear. It is easily driven well and should sound great out of anything with decent power and low output impedance. Pairing it with higher output impedance tube amps could also be good but will start to color it and that just comes down to personal preference. But one of the biggest selling points for Clear is that it is so easily driven well and doesn't require the finicky (and often expensive) amp considerations of something like HD800. I also think that means HD800 can ultimately scale higher, but at a much greater cost. The Clear is just great in having a very pleasing tonal balance and presentation without needing a lot of source considerations and EQ to get it to sound right.

Counterpoint: when you move higher and higher up the HP chain they become more resolving, not only of details in your music, but of any traits the DAC/amp may impart on the sound. I know my Utopia, although it's a bit less sensitive, is a source microscope (stethoscope in this metaphor I suppose). So knowing how a certain amp sounds with the Clear can be very important.

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #1,559 of 12,548
You're welcome.
Definitely no need at all for the 6-SE with the Clear. Besides, the WA6 has more tube rolling options and takes up less real estate. I actually sold my WA6 at one point and purchased the 6-SE and immediatley regretted it, so I sold the 6-SE after 20 days (missed the return window) and purchased the WA6 again and never looked back. This combo sounds so nice that I'm considering purchasing the Clear.

Perfect. Thank you for the advice.

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #1,560 of 12,548
Counterpoint: when you move higher and higher up the HP chain they become more resolving, not only of details in your music, but of any traits the DAC/amp may impart on the sound. I know my Utopia, although it's a bit less sensitive, is a source microscope (stethoscope in this metaphor I suppose). So knowing how a certain amp sounds with the Clear can be very important.

I absolutely agree with this regarding Utopia as it is known to scale really well with sources just like the HD800. But we are discussing the Clear here. After auditioning Clear myself on different sources and from basically every review/impression of Clear thus far, the theme has been that it doesn't scale like Utopia and even its lower impedance and focus on portability from Focal indicates that it was designed to be less source dependent and just sound like itself and good on everything. I don't believe I have read one review yet that found a "bad" source pairing for Clear (not including tube amps).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back