Focal Clear headphones
Dec 25, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #1,126 of 12,543
Most definitely the Utopia is way above the Clear . Unfortunately only for the first fifteen minutes. Then the fatiguing nature of the Utopias kicks in. Then from minute 16 + the Clear shines.
Hahaa I know what you mean. Utopia is a very demanding headphone. It throws the full force and fury of the music in stunning clarity and detail.

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #1,128 of 12,543
The only comment from Tyll’s review that had me wondering wassup was that he
claims bigger bass response from the Clear than the Elear. And looking at the FR graph, I might assume that because the treble on the Clear is so much more refined, he can listen to the Clears at a higher volume than its sibling hedphones, thereby effectively increasing the bass and mid response in relation to the treble.

This assertion has me taking another look at this headphone.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #1,129 of 12,543
I have an R2R DAC in my main System a Monarchy, with dual PCM63Ks, along with the Herron 5 and MICROZOTL 2 are fantastic with the Clear. For portable use, the Chord Mojo rivals my main System.

Dec 25, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #1,131 of 12,543
I am currently using the audio gd nfb11 amp for my clear and they pair quite nice, but maybe lack a little bit of bass. I am looking into some balanced amps/ dacs because i heard such great things about using the clears balanced. Does anyone have a recommendation for a fully balanced amp/ dac combo under 1k?

Dec 25, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #1,132 of 12,543
no one thinking that the appearance of Elex is making Clear into a very embarrassed position?

Absolutely not, the Elex is made for a price point, the Clear is probably (having not heard the Elex, so grain of salt) a superior headphone. It’s target is the Elair, which is probably coming off of the WOF.

Dec 25, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #1,134 of 12,543
I am currently using the audio gd nfb11 amp for my clear and they pair quite nice, but maybe lack a little bit of bass. I am looking into some balanced amps/ dacs because i heard such great things about using the clears balanced. Does anyone have a recommendation for a fully balanced amp/ dac combo under 1k?

Questyle CMA400i, $799, fully balanced.

Plenty of digital inputs, 4 pin XLR balanced, 2.5mm TRRS balanced and 1/4 inch SE. Doesn't have analogue inputs, works as a headphone amp or as a dac with SE or XLR balanced outputs for an amp/home system. Very good with Clear

Dec 25, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #1,136 of 12,543
24 hours and I caved, ordered the Clears. I'll post up a review vs the Elears when I get them and have had a few hours to listen.

Give them 50 hours of burn in before you compare them.

Dec 26, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #1,137 of 12,543
Ask Joe from Abyss...I think the Diana is supposed to be fairly easy to drive, at least compared to the 1266.
Isn't the sensitivity at 91db? I always thought with a low OHM number and the higher the sensitivity number means that it requires less power to get the volume up higher fasrer, I am probably wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back