Focal Clear headphones
Dec 26, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #1,142 of 12,550
Well...after seeing the review from Inner Fidelity and reading a bit more about the Clear, I just pulled the trigger and placed an order. They will be here on Thursday! I am very excited to compare them to my HD800S and my LCD3. I will report back with initial impressions at the end of the week:)
Give them time as I've had all three. Less detail and more bass than 800s. More detail less bass than lcd3. For me a good happy medium.

Dec 26, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #1,144 of 12,550
So is Tyll with headphones like what Oprah used to be with her book club? The Midas touch for generating sales.
Well, he was the first and IMO still the most reliable headphone reviewer. I like that he gets emotionally involved in his reviews. When it’s good he gets excited and when he doesn’t like something, he doesn’t hold back. It seems like most reviewers these days give everything mild praise and it’s hard to tell what they really think.

Dec 26, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #1,145 of 12,550
Well...after seeing the review from Inner Fidelity and reading a bit more about the Clear, I just pulled the trigger and placed an order. They will be here on Thursday! I am very excited to compare them to my HD800S and my LCD3. I will report back with initial impressions at the end of the week:)
Smart choice! I have owned all three of the phones you listed and for me the Clear is way better than 800s and way way better than LCD3.

Dec 26, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #1,146 of 12,550

Exactly what I had/have, plus the Ether Flow Open/Closed, ended up selling the 800, and the others are getting zero head time.

Dec 26, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #1,147 of 12,550
Smart choice! I have owned all three of the phones you listed and for me the Clear is way better than 800s and way way better than LCD3.

Awesome...I am looking forward to it!

Exactly what I had/have, plus the Ether Flow Open/Closed, ended up selling the 800, and the others are getting zero head time.

Excellent...I have high hopes for the Clear, especially after reading how it compares to legends like the LCD3 and the HD800.

Dec 26, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #1,148 of 12,550

How do they compare with the Ether Flow Open/Closed?

Dec 26, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #1,149 of 12,550
How do they compare with the Ether Flow Open/Closed?

I love the Flows, but they sound dull and lifeless compared to the Clear.

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #1,151 of 12,550
Laptop Flac files > dragonfly red dac > violectric 280> Focal Clear. Just a great combo.
I also bet same set up with the lesser priced dragonfly black and violectric 200 is also superb. Maybe even a $200 shiit Asgard 2.

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #1,152 of 12,550
‘Better’ is a broad term. Would appreciate more specificity. Not heard clear, heard the other 2. From reading tons of opinions, they seem tonally better balanced compared to ‘thick, warm’ lcd3 and ‘lean, bright’ 800S. Also hazarding a guess
Bass: lcd3>clear>800S
Soundstage: 800S>clear=lcd3.
Feel free to correct me. What about other aspects. Mids, treble, imaging, dynamics, transients? Just curious of your opinion.

Dec 27, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #1,153 of 12,550
no one thinking that the appearance of Elex is making Clear into a very embarrassed position?

First impression yes but Elex uses the same dome/coil as Elear so basically Elex is a tuned Elear (to certain extent). but reason I cancelled my order is deep down I know if I have the Elex, i would keep on asking myself "what if I have the Clear?" and shoulding myself to death in the end.

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #1,154 of 12,550
[...] What about other aspects. Mids, treble, imaging, dynamics, transients? Just curious of your opinion.

Hmmm... transients... those tiny short bursts of sound that can reveal the metal composition of percussion instruments and the unreproducible soul on the attack of a female voice? Yes! maybe one of the characteristics that mostly distinguish Clear from my other IEMs/Speakers. The nature of transients on Clear becomes more evident after a few dozen hours, at the beginning I thought "Is it resolution?", "Its surely related to speed and attack/decay of notes", "I know this track, have played it tens of times, what the heck??", aaaaahhhhh... afterall, there was more in the music than I realized!!!

AH ah, I'm so "poetic" today :dt880smile: ...

A bit off-topic but deserves to be read every word IMHO, I found this very well writen article:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-hIV5rmXLwFS/learn/homeaudio/introguideexcerpt.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back