Focal Clear headphones
Nov 14, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #556 of 12,550
Food for thought, Focal didn’t start the Clear project thinking how to make the Elear better. They created the Clear to accommodate a different listening style but not to improve on what is already made.

Obviously the comparison is a natural one to make, and it was a key part of my (fairly extensive) listening session today.

Having heard them, I'd definitely concur with Jason though. Colour me sceptical regarding the early reviews of the Clear that characterise them as an evolution of the Elear, or at least consider them in that context. To my ears, they sound like completely different headphones. Despite sharing the same platform, I don't think they could've been any more different!

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #557 of 12,550
Have I ever wondered why? No, not really, and I'm not really sure where you're going with that/what you're implying.

Second point: Understood, but Focal's intentions behind designing this headphone obviously won't stop me from comparing it to it's siblings, especially the Elear which I had specific gripes with.

I think the more you listen the better you get at hearing your preferences.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 14, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #560 of 12,550
Very nice !!! The case is great and cables are surprisingly light. I only have a chance to listen to them tomorrow but the fit is very confortable.

Let me know what you think of them, They truly open up after several, several hours of playing time. They change quite a lot. Bass gets better, and vocals get better.

Nov 14, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #563 of 12,550
Let me know what you think of them, They truly open up after several, several hours of playing time. They change quite a lot. Bass gets better, and vocals get better.

Can't wait! I was to try them only tomorrow but couldn’t go to bed before sneaking a bit ... only half an hour now shuffling various genres and wow!
Still early to start throwing adjectives but ... I'm sold. I was a bit apprehensive since I'm very used with floor speakers and IEMs, really my 1st open back headphones, something in between I thought, but really closer to room systems for soundstage and separation. Listening as I type and can't avoid smiling with some passages ... surprises are good...

:dt880smile:

Nov 14, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #564 of 12,550
Can't wait! I was to try them only tomorrow but couldn’t go to bed before sneaking a bit ... only half an hour now shuffling various genres and wow!
Still early to start throwing adjectives but ... I'm sold. I was a bit apprehensive since I'm very used with floor speakers and IEMs, really my 1st open back headphones, something in between I thought, but really closer to room systems for soundstage and separation. Listening as I type and can't avoid smiling with some passages ... surprises are good...

:dt880smile:
I share the same feelings with smiles too.

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #566 of 12,550
Auditioned the Clears today at Source AV with my regular setup (photo attached, see profile for details). Simply swapped plugs on headphones every so often between tracks. Didn't touch any volume knobs. Track list: Dave Brubeck Quartet - Blue Rondo a La Turk, Miles Davis - Blue In Green, Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - The Girl From Ipanema, Norah Jones - Shoot The Moon, Cowboy Junkies - Misguided Angel, Beck - Morning, Radiohead - Paranoid Android, Matchbox 20 - Push, Santana - Maria Maria, Daft Punk - Doin' It Right, Bjork - Hyper-Ballad, and Maxim Vengerov - Bach Sonata (Toccata And Fugue).

20171114_120314.jpg

A few thoughts:

* Overall physical fit/feel of Clear very similar to Elear. Clear earpads are a tad cooler on my head, and due to stiffer feeling foam have a slightly higher perceived clamping force than the Elear. Neither is uncomfortable.
* Clear is not lacking in bass/subbass response. I would say it equals Elear and/but is less muddy. Same is true of treble response. Elear has more of a v-shaped, fun sound. Clear is less so, and removes some muddiness and excessive sparkle in the process.
* Soundstage is very similar, but Clear better fills in what I perceive as "soft spots" at 1030 and 1330 in my Elear, if you get my meaning. The proper terminology eludes me.
* I was surprised the Clear wasn't noticeably louder than Elear at the same volume setting, given the lower impedance rating. I'm no electrical engineer.
* If I didn't already have Elear, I would pick up Clear right away. If I didn't already have nice aftermarket cables (and no need for a carrying case), I would even pay the $500 MSRP difference on a trade-up. As it stands, I can wait until Jason's heart grows three times its normal size one Christmas Day and he offers me a trade-up for the equivalent of a nice bottle of scotch.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #567 of 12,550
Auditioned the Clears today at Source AV with my regular setup (photo attached, see profile for details). Simply swapped plugs on headphones every so often between tracks. Didn't touch any volume knobs. Track list: Dave Brubeck Quartet - Blue Rondo a La Turk, Miles Davis - Blue In Green, Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - The Girl From Ipanema, Norah Jones - Shoot The Moon, Cowboy Junkies - Misguided Angel, Beck - Morning, Radiohead - Paranoid Android, Matchbox 20 - Push, Santana - Maria Maria, Daft Punk - Doin' It Right, Bjork - Hyper-Ballad, and Maxim Vengerov - Bach Sonata (Toccata And Fugue).

A few thoughts:

* Overall physical fit/feel of Clear very similar to Elear. Clear earpads are a tad cooler on my head, and due to stiffer feeling foam have a slightly higher perceived clamping force than the Elear. Neither is uncomfortable.
* Clear is not lacking in bass/subbass response. I would say it equals Elear and/but is less muddy. Same is true of treble response. Elear has more of a v-shaped, fun sound. Clear is less so, and removes some muddiness and excessive sparkle in the process.
* Soundstage is very similar, but Clear better fills in what I perceive as "soft spots" at 1030 and 1330 in my Elear, if you get my meaning. The proper terminology eludes me.
* I was surprised the Clear wasn't noticeably louder than Elear at the same volume setting, given the lower impedance rating. I'm no electrical engineer.
* If I didn't already have Elear, I would pick up Clear right away. If I didn't already have nice aftermarket cables (and no need for a carrying case), I would even pay the $500 MSRP difference on a trade-up. As it stands, I can wait until Jason's heart grows three times its normal size one Christmas Day and he offers me a trade-up for the equivalent of a nice bottle of scotch.

What about the mids? Does it still sound scooped out compared to the Elear? This is my main concern.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #568 of 12,550
What about the mids? Does it still sound scooped out compared to the Elear? This is my main concern.
I think the mids sound great! once you burn these suckers in they truly open up. It does sound like the poor-mans Utopia... In a good way of course.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #569 of 12,550
the mids stay in line with the bass and treble with the Clear more then the Elear. some tracks are easier to hear then others for me.

I also get more warmth from the Elear. Listening to "But Anyway" now by Blues Traveler during the harmonica solo at 1:33, The Clear shows the harmonica sounding brighter then the Elear, and I perceive this to be neutral (due to the Elears over all warmth). I am curious if we burned these in more if that part of the track will change at all.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #570 of 12,550
I think the mids sound great! once you burn these suckers in they truly open up. It does sound like the poor-mans Utopia... In a good way of course.
hmmm when I leave the store I am just going to put these on one of our red heads and let them blast. I hope no customer puts them on in between a track! I'm interested to see if I hear any changes tomorrow. They are slightly different from what I remember at RMAF.

I am using a Questyle 800i for all my comparisons and I just looked back through my pictures from RMAF and see that Focal used the 800r and a CMA CAS192D... So my set up isnt 100% the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back