Focal Clear headphones
Nov 20, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #11,206 of 12,651
Listening to the clears now and while the soundstage is not as wide as my Denon d7200s or sony z7m2, it definitely destroys both in depth and height. It just has a great 3D presentation.

It is a very realistic sounding headphone, it literally sounds like I'm listening to speakers.

My chain is PC > Jcat usb > audio-gd di20he > denafrips ares ii > audio-gd master19
Whut? Denon d7200 wider? Not sure about that. HD800 is kinda oval stage, but yeah, it gives perception of large, but I think the imaging is more vivid with the Clear. HD800 imaging feels kinda flat. I find that the imaging of Utopia is even more vivid.

I get a feeling that comparing 800 and Clear will make upper-mids to sound noticibly reduced with 800 if the ears are used to Clear. 800 needs time for upper-mids adjustment. Because I had times I come from another headphone and 800 sounds so muted in the upper-mids (not treble, there is a lot of that). Clear is easier to like first listen. 800 could be aquired taste due to it's response.

Clears also sound technically superior over the Stellia as well. It's open, so probably not the fairest comparison.

Yeah, the kink on the Clear is rediculous. They need to update it and get rid of the kink. There's design decision like the light color that gets stained easily I don't like.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #11,207 of 12,651
Clears also sound technically superior over the Stellia as well. It's open, so probably not the fairest comparison.
Gotta disagree, I have both. It's very easy to tell the Stellia is more detailed with a quicker driver and better timbre.

The Clear has better tonal balance and the classic open sound. As such many will prefer the Clear, myself included. But technical performance goes to Stellia all day.

Nov 20, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #11,208 of 12,651
Whut? Denon d7200 wider? Not sure about that. HD800 is kinda oval stage, but yeah, it gives perception of large, but I think the imaging is more vivid with the Clear. HD800 imaging feels kinda flat. I find that the imaging of Utopia is even more vivid.

I get a feeling that comparing 800 and Clear will make upper-mids to sound noticibly reduced with 800 if the ears are used to Clear. 800 needs time for upper-mids adjustment.

Yeah, the kink on the Clear is rediculous. They need to update it and get rid of the kink. There's design decision like the light color that gets stained easily I don't like.
D7200s definitely have a wider stage, by alot. But it doesn't have good depth or height. Its also better at imaging than the clears.

The clears are better a presenting a more realistic sound, difficult to explain but it seems like something like the d7200s, everything is in your face, the clears play the background and upfront sounds at the appropriate volume and distance.

I only had a short time with the 800s but only really noticed the wide soundstage, it didn't really pop for me. Nothing really bad about it but I didn't see what the hype was about.

Nov 20, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #11,209 of 12,651
D7200s definitely have a wider stage, by alot. But it doesn't have good depth or height. Its also better at imaging than the clears.

The clears are better a presenting a more realistic sound, difficult to explain but it seems like something like the d7200s, everything is in your face, the clears play the background and upfront sounds at the appropriate volume and distance.

I only had a short time with the 800s but only really noticed the wide soundstage, it didn't really pop for me. Nothing really bad about it but I didn't see what the hype was about.
I can't agree with the wider stage and better imaging with the D7200, or the D9200. I generally find closed-back limited for stage and imaging. Z1R is probably one of the larger stage sounding closed-backs I've heard, and never heard the 820.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #11,210 of 12,651
I can't agree with the wider stage and better imaging with the D7200, or the D9200. I generally find closed-back limited for stage and imaging. Z1R is probably one of the larger stage sounding closed-backs I've heard, and never heard the 820.
I have both, and pretty much listen to one or the other 95% of the time.

The d7200 has a wider stage and better imaging. Honestly, its not even close. Sony z7m2 also has wider stage.

I can't compare the z1r or the 820 since I haven't heard either.

Nov 21, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #11,212 of 12,651
The Elear with Clear pads give the Clear OG a serious run for the money. I easily preferred the Elear w/Clear pads to the Clear MG.

Am on my 4th go-around with the Clear, in this order: OG (2019), MG (2021, which I found disappointing: no top end air), OG (2021) and OG (2022).

I am currently running the Clear OG with an aftermarket cable (Neotech UPOCC 4x 28AWG solid core silver + 4x 24AWG solid core copper), the SMSL SP400 amp, the Gustard X18 DAC and either a Cardas Clear Light or XLO Signature S3-2 XLR cable in between. I find the soundstage ample and respectably 3-dimensional, although the Clear lag behind the Audeze MM-500 and Stax SR-L700/500 Mk.2 in both regards.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #11,215 of 12,651
The Clear / 789 combo is just so detailed, fast, dynamic, it leaves the 800S and tube amp in the dust.
Getting my Clear mg this week. Saw the "Monolith THX AAA 887 on sale for $250" @ Monoprice and $299 Amazon. I had heard that THX amps are too bright and clinical for the Clear mg's. Just curious about your thoughts (or anyone else's) as you ran the 889 with the og's. I need an amp (and dac) and having just bought the Clear mg (open box) am a bit cash-strapped for the holidays.

Nov 21, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #11,216 of 12,651
Getting my Clear mg this week. Saw the "Monolith THX AAA 887 on sale for $250" @ Monoprice and $299 Amazon. I had heard that THX amps are too bright and clinical for the Clear mg's. Just curious about your thoughts (or anyone else's) as you ran the 889 with the og's. I need an amp (and dac) and having just bought the Clear mg (open box) am a bit cash-strapped for the holidays.

THX sounds very resolving with a very low noise floor but it makes everything sound compressed.

To each their own but I was not a fan of it. Since soundstage is not a strong point with the clears, an amp with big stage may be a better match.

Nov 21, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #11,217 of 12,651
I've got this Monolith THX amp (and DAC; no longer available from Monoprice), and the Clear definitely don't come through bright, nor clinical.

Nov 21, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #11,218 of 12,651

I get a feeling that comparing 800 and Clear will make upper-mids to sound noticibly reduced with 800 if the ears are used to Clear. 800 needs time for upper-mids adjustment. Because I had times I come from another headphone and 800 sounds so muted in the upper-mids (not treble, there is a lot of that). Clear is easier to like first listen. 800 could be aquired taste due to it's response.

Hello,
Do you notice the Clear’s mids to be “simpler” compared to that on the Hd800? It is like some nuances disappear when jumping from HD800 to the Clear. But the Clear seems to have better microdynamic and macrodynamic to my ears: the difference in volume of notes is very dramatic, while in case of the HD800 all notes sound almost at the same volume.
And I think the Stellia is more detailed compared to the Clear though I don’t fond of its frequency response

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #11,219 of 12,651
Three years later I have finally made it. I am the owner of a new set of Clear's. I had wanted the Pro's originally, but beggars can't be choosers.
My oily hair and skin with be a challenge with the bright colour.

They do sound wonderful right out of the box. Going through my new to me Pepper Adams and Cannonball Adderly tunes.

I am running laptop files to BF2 to Violectric V220 to Clear's. I also have the Elex's plugged into the same amp as they will fight each other for survival in the collection.:smile:

20221122_105420.jpg

20221122_093001.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #11,220 of 12,651
Three years later I have finally made it. I am the owner of a new set of Clear's. I had wanted the Pro's originally, but beggars can't be choosers.
My oily hair and skin with be a challenge with the bright colour.
Frankly, a headband cover (or two or three) is a must for the Focal Clear with their non-replaceable microfabric headbands.
If I am using the Clears long-term without switching around headphones, I like to give the headband a gentle wash in the washing machine every week or two, and swap out a spare headband. Wool is best I believe. Can find them on ebay.

For the pads, try not to wash them. Maybe a spritz of water every now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back