Focal Clear headphones
Nov 18, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #11,191 of 12,651
Have you personally used the gear with the Clear? I tested the Clear on the Topping E30, and JDS Labs Atom amp prior to upgrading to the A18 & A90. The staging was non existent, whereas the HD800s on the same gear was wide and spacious. I have tested the Clear on a wide variety of gear. The fact that the Elear's are superior in soundstage is laughable, but the Clear is only a little bit higher in resolution.

The HD800s are within 1 to 2% of the resolution of the Utopia. They're equal in detail retrieval. The HD800s are noticeablely superior to the Clear overall. They're more resolving, higher resolution, huge stage, superior detail retrieval, more sub base ect, but they lack in slam and sound a tad thin. But this isn't an issue if you listen to classical music.

JFL, you actually bought into the snake oil of cables.

Have you personally used 'snake oil cables' with the Clear... or any headphone?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #11,192 of 12,651
Have you personally used the gear with the Clear? I tested the Clear on the Topping E30, and JDS Labs Atom amp prior to upgrading to the A18 & A90. The staging was non existent, whereas the HD800s on the same gear was wide and spacious. I have tested the Clear on a wide variety of gear. The fact that the Elear's are superior in soundstage is laughable, but the Clear is only a little bit higher in resolution.

The HD800s are within 1 to 2% of the resolution of the Utopia. They're equal in detail retrieval. The HD800s are noticeablely superior to the Clear overall. They're more resolving, higher resolution, huge stage, superior detail retrieval, more sub base ect, but they lack in slam and sound a tad thin. But this isn't an issue if you listen to classical music.

JFL, you actually bought into the snake oil of cables.

What cables did you use with your Focal Clear?

Nov 18, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #11,193 of 12,651
Have you personally used 'snake oil cables' with the Clear... or any headphone?
Yes, I spent a total of $1200 on the Nordost Heimdall 2 power AC cord and the Nordost Heimdall 2 USB cable. Both retail new for a grand total of $1700.

I couldn't hear a difference. Even if there is technically a measurable difference between high end and standard cables. It isn't auditable because it goes outside the range of human hearing.

Luckily, I sold them relatively quickly on Ebay, so I didn't lose a dime. They were gorgeous bright red cables, but ultimately there wasn't a difference in sound quality.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #11,197 of 12,651
Yes, I spent a total of $1200 on the Nordost Heimdall 2 power AC cord and the Nordost Heimdall 2 USB cable. Both retail new for a grand total of $1700.

I couldn't hear a difference. Even if there is technically a measurable difference between high end and standard cables. It isn't auditable because it goes outside the range of human hearing.

Luckily, I sold them relatively quickly on Ebay, so I didn't lose a dime. They were gorgeous bright red cables, but ultimately there wasn't a difference in sound quality.
To you lol.

Nov 18, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #11,198 of 12,651
Have you heard any differences in headphone cables... in particular, pure silver cables compared directly with copper cables?
Pretty obvious he hasn't tried anything, looks like he wandered over from ASR to troll.

Lol he reported me and the mods edited my post said that I was trolling. wth?

Nov 20, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #11,201 of 12,651
Talking of cables, everyone said the stock ones sucked... and I thought audiophiles are finicky and surely the included cables on these $1500 cans would be enough to get by. You were all right. Those stock cables are barely useable, and look ridiculous, so stiff they don't unfold. They are like a cheap bundled USB charging cable! Going to order Ninja cables. Wondering if there is a particular benefit to get the 4.4mm balanced over the 3.5mm SE on these headphones.

Has anyone found a nice headband cover in leather or alcantara? Looking through the thread (seriously so long it's reaching phone book length), seems like the only option coming up are cheap zippered neoprene or a knit cover with buttons that seems a bit too narrow, so it looks stretched on the top side... Surely, there has to be something a little better?

Thanks!

Nov 20, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #11,202 of 12,651
Talking of cables, everyone said the stock ones sucked... and I thought audiophiles are finicky and surely the included cables on these $1500 cans would be enough to get by. You were all right. Those stock cables are barely useable, and look ridiculous, so stiff they don't unfold. They are like a cheap bundled USB charging cable! Going to order Ninja cables. Wondering if there is a particular benefit to get the 4.4mm balanced over the 3.5mm SE on these headphones.

Has anyone found a nice headband cover in leather or alcantara? Looking through the thread (seriously so long it's reaching phone book length), seems like the only option coming up are cheap zippered neoprene or a knit cover with buttons that seems a bit too narrow, so it looks stretched on the top side... Surely, there has to be something a little better?

Thanks!
I have an Audiophile Ninja in 1/4" and it's just fine. Really, the only benefit to XLR is if you're running balanced all the way through your chain. My amp has both, so it's not a major bother for me and I don't notice a significant difference.

As for the headband, I don't like any of the 3rd party ones myself, so I just use mine (although they don't get much headtime if I'm being honest). I figure if I wear them out, I'll replace it or just get a cheap one to cover it then. I buy my headphones to enjoy them, not to pamper them.

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #11,203 of 12,651

Thanks!
I think saying the stock cable sucks is kind of exaggerating.

Its short and stiff but as far as build quality, it should be better than most cables. I have not taken it apart but I assume that since they did not skimp on the driver wire (24 awg SPC), they'd use somewhat decent copper in the cable. Then again who knows, they use really crappy solder for the voice coil and internal wiring.

I have about 8 different cables that work on my Focal clears, they all sound different. If you cannot hear a difference with cables, congratulations, you can save yourself alot of money and stick with the cheap stuff. I'm currently using the moon audio silver dragon. I would have opted for a balanced connection but I got a great deal on it and its a 6.3mm connector. I opened up the 6.3mm furutech connector and resoldered the connections with mundorf supreme silver / gold solder. This further enhanced the sonic capabilities of the cable.

I think I saw someone that had a custom leather headband made for the clear or maybe a different model but its going to be difficult and expensive to get something like that made. I'd be interested as well if there were a leather option but till that day comes, I'm happy with the neoprene cover.

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #11,204 of 12,651
Listening to the clears now and while the soundstage is not as wide as my Denon d7200s or sony z7m2, it definitely destroys both in depth and height. It just has a great 3D presentation.

It is a very realistic sounding headphone, it literally sounds like I'm listening to speakers.

My chain is PC > Jcat usb > audio-gd di20he > denafrips ares ii > audio-gd master19

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #11,205 of 12,651
I think saying the stock cable sucks is kind of exaggerating.

Its short and stiff but as far as build quality, it should be better than most cables. I have not taken it apart but I assume that since they did not skimp on the driver wire (24 awg SPC), they'd use somewhat decent copper in the cable. Then again who knows, they use really crappy solder for the voice coil and internal wiring.

I have about 8 different cables that work on my Focal clears, they all sound different. If you cannot hear a difference with cables, congratulations, you can save yourself alot of money and stick with the cheap stuff. I'm currently using the moon audio silver dragon. I would have opted for a balanced connection but I got a great deal on it and its a 6.3mm connector. I opened up the 6.3mm furutech connector and resoldered the connections with mundorf supreme silver / gold solder. This further enhanced the sonic capabilities of the cable.

I think I saw someone that had a custom leather headband made for the clear or maybe a different model but its going to be difficult and expensive to get something like that made. I'd be interested as well if there were a leather option but till that day comes, I'm happy with the neoprene cover.
The cables may deliver fine sound, but they are so stiff and kinked that even my wife looked at me and said: those new headphones of yours look cool, except for those goofy cables. Anyway, I found a deal on some open box Audiophile Ninjas with the 4.4mm balanced end, which will at least make me look more dapper. :wink:

I'm really loving these headphones so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back