Focal Clear headphones
Mar 29, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #9,301 of 12,651
Differences are likely to worn pads vs new pads. Had some Burson amps myself, albeit the older gen Soloist and Conductor, I believe they didn't change their house sound much, it was always more of a diffused airy presentation vs my other amps, mostly felt in the bass actually.

Mar 29, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #9,303 of 12,651
Stop wasting your time on such things.
You're right. I have been really enjoying the OG Clear for the last few days. Still feeling very happy my original problem got fixed and received 'a better' new pair. Enjoy your Clears guys!

Mar 29, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #9,305 of 12,651
Is there any known issues with channel imbalance on the Clear? Yesterday I was listening and it really felt like everything was positioned to my right ear. I switched back and forth with my Elegia and the soundstage definitely moved more to the centre. I also have a little bit of a cold so perhaps that is throwing me off? Is there a way to test?

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #9,310 of 12,651
Hi All I tried a a search on this thread and could not find a confirmed pinout of the balanced 2.5mm TRRS to dual mono plugs. I want make my own balanced cable for my clear professionals as they don't come with a balanced cable. Is anyone with a multimeter about to confirm the pinouts for the balanced cables that come with clears?

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #9,311 of 12,651
Is there any amp pairings what work well with clear? Im specially interest tube amp. Budget should be like under 1000€. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #9,312 of 12,651
Tube amps will be as good a match as the tubes used. If you go with a tube amp, should account for that extra cost of tubes rolling. Unless the tube amp comes with a decent stock pairing, which are usually sold as an upgrade option.

Transformer coupled tube amps usually handle better lower loads, although some OTL are perfectly capable of driving lower loads like the ~60 Ohm Clear without muddling the sound.

Another option would be a hybrid amp. Like the Schiit Mjolnir 2 which you have?

In either case, tubes are the key. Did you roll tubes on the Mjolnir 2?

I've the Mjolnir Mk1, sounds really good with my og Clear, I would imagine the Mjolnir 2 with some killer tubes for the Clear should be as good as it gets really.

There are solid state amps that have tube like sound, like Audio-gd amps.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #9,313 of 12,651
Hi All I tried a a search on this thread and could not find a confirmed pinout of the balanced 2.5mm TRRS to dual mono plugs. I want make my own balanced cable for my clear professionals as they don't come with a balanced cable. Is anyone with a multimeter about to confirm the pinouts for the balanced cables that come with clears?
Headphone side the tip is +, shaft is -. Amp side: standard layout.

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #9,314 of 12,651
Is there any known issues with channel imbalance on the Clear? Yesterday I was listening and it really felt like everything was positioned to my right ear. I switched back and forth with my Elegia and the soundstage definitely moved more to the centre. I also have a little bit of a cold so perhaps that is throwing me off? Is there a way to test?
I haven't heard of channel imbalance on the Clear, but when I bought my Clear I noticed the same issue. I swapped the pads from one side to another, and the imbalance shifted, too. I then took the pads off, and one was slightly thicker than the other... still waiting on Focal to send me a set of replacement pads, which they agreed to do. Crin also wrote recently about how different the pads were on the new MG than on the OG Clear. I would guess that's not a new design choice, but just poor pad quality control and lack of consistency. There's also a post on the headphones.com forum by someone who purchased a replacement set of pads for their OG Clear, and the replacements are noticeably thinner than the stock pads.

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #9,315 of 12,651
Is there any amp pairings what work well with clear? Im specially interest tube amp. Budget should be like under 1000€. Thanks in advance.
While I have a pair of Focal Elears, I thought I’d mention that I have been very happy with them paired with my Feliks Audio Echo. It is within your budget, well-built, and the stock tubes are quite impressive. I’d definitely recommend the Echo for first-time tube amp owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back