Focal Clear headphones
Apr 4, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #9,331 of 12,578
90db peaks on my Clear last night and no clipping. It's actually too loud to my ears at that volume over an extended period. I can't imagine anyone listening at clipping levels.
I've never clipped my Clear Pros and I've had the volume much higher than comfortable listening levels just to see if I could.

Apr 4, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #9,332 of 12,578
Any consensus on how the OG Clears sound with Elex pads? How much does the sound change from the stock pads?

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #9,333 of 12,578
I bought 990$ Focal Clear from headphonesdotcom recently and before it reaches me, i am planning to get an AMP or DACAMP for it. At present my intent is to use it with my DAP, Cayin N6ii with E02 module, till i get a standalone AMP or a DACAMP. I want to spend 500-600$ on such. Which one pairs best with Clear? Among those under consideration are HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2, ifi idsd signature, Topping DX7 Pro and if i can stretch a bit more, Feliks Echo. Any one here have/tried these with their Clears?

Apr 5, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #9,334 of 12,578
I bought 990$ Focal Clear from headphonesdotcom recently and before it reaches me, i am planning to get an AMP or DACAMP for it. At present my intent is to use it with my DAP, Cayin N6ii with E02 module, till i get a standalone AMP or a DACAMP. I want to spend 500-600$ on such. Which one pairs best with Clear? Among those under consideration are HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2, ifi idsd signature, Topping DX7 Pro and if i can stretch a bit more, Feliks Echo. Any one here have/tried these with their Clears?
I’m guessing the Gilmore Lite MK2 will be too bright sounding, as they both have treble-forward presentations. A friend who owns the Feliks Echo borrowed my Clear OG and really liked the pairing, but I haven’t heard it myself. The ifi might be a solid choice since they lean warmer in general.

Apr 5, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #9,335 of 12,578
Apr 5, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #9,336 of 12,578
I’m guessing the Gilmore Lite MK2 will be too bright sounding, as they both have treble-forward presentations. A friend who owns the Feliks Echo borrowed my Clear OG and really liked the pairing, but I haven’t heard it myself. The ifi might be a solid choice since they lean warmer in general.
Yeah. One of my friend recc’d Feliks Echo too and he says Clear and Echo are a pair made in heaven!

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #9,337 of 12,578
I’d suggest a Schiitt Jot2. Works great. Would recommend that you NOT include the multi bit Dac option. Get a stand alone….. I also agree that the Feliks Audio tube amp sound tremendous with the Clears!

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #9,341 of 12,578
I much prefer the OG to the MG. The MG will be more forgiving on crappy recordings / mixes. The OG is, to me, a more exciting way to experience great productions. Here's a full review and comparison I wrote on Medium.
A fine review. I can only hope I can handle the spiciness of the OG clear. I have one on order. I'm tempted for the smoother treble of the MG but I would like to see how I do with the original clear first. As a value comparison - it is hard to argue against Focal Clears for 990$

Apr 5, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #9,342 of 12,578
A fine review. I can only hope I can handle the spiciness of the OG clear. I have one on order. I'm tempted for the smoother treble of the MG but I would like to see how I do with the original clear first. As a value comparison - it is hard to argue against Focal Clears for 990$
I agree with that thinking as well, and I personally don’t find the Clear’s treble all that hard to handle. It can get a bit bright at times but it doesn’t come across as harsh or anything.

I think it’s better to get the OG while they still exist. And it’s cheaper.

Apr 6, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #9,343 of 12,578
Now that both the Clear and Clear Professional are out and about for a few years: how do they hold up over time?
Due to the light colour of the clear we have seen some discolouration, but how about the professional? I can image that the discolouration is less/no issue on the dark red pads and headband, though perhaps I am mistaken? Can any of the owners that have had the clear (professional) post some pictures of how their clear (professional) is right now?

Apr 6, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #9,344 of 12,578
Now that both the Clear and Clear Professional are out and about for a few years: how do they hold up over time?
Due to the light colour of the clear we have seen some discolouration, but how about the professional? I can image that the discolouration is less/no issue on the dark red pads and headband, though perhaps I am mistaken? Can any of the owners that have had the clear (professional) post some pictures of how their clear (professional) is right now?
Yea im also worried about this. Have Clears for 2 months and im scared of their future in this :/

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #9,345 of 12,578
I initially bought the grey Clears last year and noticed discoloration on them rather quickly, so I returned them just before the end of the 2 week trial period and exchanged them for the Clear Pro. After 4 months of regular use you can see some discoloration when looking carefully or when comparing the used pads to the new spare pads. But it's nothing obvious. I expect to get many years of use out of the Pro set witht the 2 sets of pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back