Focal Clear headphones
Mar 26, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #9,286 of 12,651
Its shameful to speak, but I finally found way to set the low bass shelf from default 85hz to 100hz and use the oratory harman kardon curve and turned on Auto ref lvl. It probably doesnt change anything haha (only 15hz range and auto ref. probably should not even tune the sound? or idk) but to my ears - it somehow sound better then before. And that what matters the most. If its placebo or whatever I dont care.

So... no science here... just some brain game probably.. sorry for no help.

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #9,287 of 12,651
I recently bought a clear professional, which I combine with a RME ADI-2 DAC like half of the forum (best 1k in audio you ever spend) but with a Audio-GD Master 19 as amp in between. Balanced all the way (using the Master 19 single ended is a bit silly imo) and I started to refer to them as my holy trinity.
I have heard a lot of headphones both open- and closed-back but not much gives me the same pleasure while staying as true to the source as the combination of these three.
I prefer the clear to the Stax SR-007Mk2's I have had. I prefer the feel and airiness to the Stellia's I have had. I prefer the transparency over the Ether C flow 1.1's I own. If any headphone I owned came close it's the LSA HP-1 (a Kennerton open-back planar). I'd settle for either. When I sold the HP-1 I knew I made a mistake and regretted it even more when I bought a HD800s which was quite a deception for me. There was only one other headphone I wanted to try and I'm lucky I did: the Focal Clear Professional (purely due to black/red > silver imo :D).
this journey is purely based on my preferences and ymmv.

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #9,288 of 12,651
Audio-gd gear is great for spicing up the chain. Their amps are advertised as having 1-2 Ohms output impedance, but, in reality it's closer to ~10 Ohms. MrSpeakers / DCA headphones love them. :wink: I like the Audio-gd house sound. Very tubey.

I guess the Clear get a healthy bass bump with the Master 19, un-damp, de-congest, loosening their presentation.

The HD800 would require even more "loosening up" I guess. OTL or PEQ treatment.

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #9,289 of 12,651
"I recently got the OG Clear Professional for a very good deal" you answered your question in your post.
Thats probably it. The dealer knew it (and should say it to you), thats why very good deal.
You can try write to him if its possible to replace the pair. But I think he will answer you the same as I did.
It is just my opinion tho.

If you got it for good price and it doesnt bother you, I would keep it (but I would also try to write him).

Thought I wait till I get a new replacement before I respond to your message. I think you assumed too much and had to be cynical when dealers do 'very good deals'. Focal is clearing out the Clears (at least in my country) and a lot of attractive bundles were offered. They are launching Clear MG and Clear Pro MG after all. This is the best time to grab a pair (Black Friday deals were even better). Even Headphones.com are doing the same thing now. So this is all perfectly legit.

I wrote to Focal and the store I purchased from. Within days (it was over weekend), the local distributor had contacted me to offer a new and complete replacement. Once the paperwork was done, I was informed to pick up from a local store. The new pair is now perfect and I was given the opportunity to test out the Focal Arche and with a different combination of cables while there. I think Busisoft and Addicted to Audio did a very good job in helping with my situation.

Pays to remain positive!

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #9,290 of 12,651
Glad you got it sorted quickly! A2A are definitely quite good customer service wise. What did you think of them with the Arche? I ended up getting the Clear Pro/Arche bundle. Can't imagine them sounding any better!

Mar 27, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #9,291 of 12,651
Glad you got it sorted quickly! A2A are definitely quite good customer service wise. What did you think of them with the Arche? I ended up getting the Clear Pro/Arche bundle. Can't imagine them sounding any better!
Yes, I am very pleased with the outcome although this is not the first time I deal with A2A. In fact, I am fortunate that my 2 local audio stores have great after sales service (the other being MiniDisc).

The Arche sounded great paired with the OG Clear! Ever so slightly warmer and punchier when paired with the Cardas Parsec cable. I was using the OG Clear which was newly unboxed in the store because A2A wanted to make sure it is a perfect unit. And the headphone already sounded great. I did a quick comparison between both stock Focal cable and the Cardas cable. The Cardas is ever so slightly better to my ears. Now I don't normally buy headphone cables that costs as much as the headphone. I only do so if the stock cable sucks (ergonomics wise) and I needed a balanced cable. In my case with the Clear OG, the original Focal 4XLR cable takes forever to even get an ETA so I have no choice but to get the Cardas cable which is about $30 more. The demo in store definitely helped me with this choice.

Also for some reason the Arche sounded even better when set to Hybrid mode rather than the specific mode for the Clear. Its 'more musical' to my ears.

BTW, this second pair of the OG Clear 'sound better' than the first pair? The bass is stronger. I know this sounds crazy. It is a new pair and it hasn't been worn in. But my memory of the first pair is still strong. I was listening to it the night before. My DAC/AMP is the Burson Conductor 3XP by the way. Oh in case you ask, the Burson sounds just as nice as the Arche! Both has that Class A sound if I can say so. I like the Burson better because of the added functionalities (e.g. wireless bluetooth receiver mode).

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #9,292 of 12,651
Focal Clear goes wonderfully with:D2938623-9EBD-4E15-8F68-3235DF49D4DE.jpeg

Mar 27, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #9,294 of 12,651
How are you liking the fenestrated pads? Dekoni right?
Yes, those are the Dekoni fenestrated pads. I give them ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️. I wanted something physically firmer than the Clear pads, which I thought were too squishy, and that was fenestrated. To my ears, the Clear tonal balance remains intact with a widening of the soundstage (headstage?). I believe that the firmness and the greater thickness of the Dekonis produce this result. They are easy to clean: slightly damp cloth with soapy water. They do not seem prone to “grunging up” as do the stock pads. Lastly, the Dekonis do not cost limbs totaling ten digits.

Mar 28, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #9,296 of 12,651
Yes, I am very pleased with the outcome although this is not the first time I deal with A2A. In fact, I am fortunate that my 2 local audio stores have great after sales service (the other being MiniDisc).

The Arche sounded great paired with the OG Clear! Ever so slightly warmer and punchier when paired with the Cardas Parsec cable. I was using the OG Clear which was newly unboxed in the store because A2A wanted to make sure it is a perfect unit. And the headphone already sounded great. I did a quick comparison between both stock Focal cable and the Cardas cable. The Cardas is ever so slightly better to my ears. Now I don't normally buy headphone cables that costs as much as the headphone. I only do so if the stock cable sucks (ergonomics wise) and I needed a balanced cable. In my case with the Clear OG, the original Focal 4XLR cable takes forever to even get an ETA so I have no choice but to get the Cardas cable which is about $30 more. The demo in store definitely helped me with this choice.

Also for some reason the Arche sounded even better when set to Hybrid mode rather than the specific mode for the Clear. Its 'more musical' to my ears.

BTW, this second pair of the OG Clear 'sound better' than the first pair? The bass is stronger. I know this sounds crazy. It is a new pair and it hasn't been worn in. But my memory of the first pair is still strong. I was listening to it the night before. My DAC/AMP is the Burson Conductor 3XP by the way. Oh in case you ask, the Burson sounds just as nice as the Arche! Both has that Class A sound if I can say so. I like the Burson better because of the added functionalities (e.g. wireless bluetooth receiver mode).
That's interesting about the bass being better on the 2nd pair! I've just set up a listening nook in my bedroom with a Topping Dx3 Pro and was doing some A/B's with my Clear and my AKG Q701's and I thought the Clear would destroy them with bass but honestly it was very close, the Clear just a bit faster and tighter. I have done the bass mod to the Q701's though (remove sticker) and put on Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads which has helped bring what is generally considered a bass anemic headphone up a notch. I'd be interested to hear another Clear in case I have a 'softer' bass pair!
I'll bring the Q701's into my office though and test on the Arche too, keen to see what the synergy is like. They are stunning on my Class A Heed Canamp.

The Clear definitely open things up a bit and are just so fast and punchy so is a nice companion.

I have a balanced cable on the way to use with the Arche too, an AudiophileNinja cable. Looking forward to putting it to use!

Mar 28, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #9,298 of 12,651
Mar 29, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #9,299 of 12,651
That's interesting about the bass being better on the 2nd pair!
Yes and I thought I was crazy or maybe it was placebo. But the longer I hear it, the more I thought it doesn't sound like my first pair. Now obviously I am talking about very small differences here, not enough to say it is a totally different headphone. My first suspicion is the pad firmer/fuller. I am trying to compare pictures taken on the first pair. My second suspicion is the cable. I started listening with the 3m coiled cable on the first pair and now I am using the shorter 1.5m cable on the second pair.

I have been swapping between the 3m coiled and 1.5m cable yesterday night and I am still unsure.

Mar 29, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #9,300 of 12,651
I have been swapping between the 3m coiled and 1.5m cable yesterday night and I am still unsure.
It's a cable.
Stop wasting your time on such things.

Unless one cable is broken, any perceived differences are entirely in your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back