Focal Clear headphones
Jan 1, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #8,341 of 12,588
Didn't have any issues with my other cans with the Heresy. Issue is purely with this combo at the moment. I'm more inclined to think the amp/dac is the problem though.
Don't want to be the owl here but it's exactly how it started with my Elear, when I moved it to another amp it seemed good and it was an on and off issue without any logic till it went dead. When I also used to crank up the volume the more the distortion. Hopefully am wrong though, I finally went on and ordered the Ananda although I was so tempted towards the Clear or even the Utopia but the Focal dead ear response was decisive for me.

Jan 1, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #8,342 of 12,588
Don't want to be the owl here but it's exactly how it started with my Elear, when I moved it to another amp it seemed good and it was an on and off issue without any logic till it went dead. When I also used to crank up the volume the more the distortion. Hopefully am wrong though, I finally went on and ordered the Ananda although I was so tempted towards the Clear or even the Utopia but the Focal dead ear response was decisive for me.

Appreciate the response! Hopefully the issue doesn't persist with a different setup for me as well...

Also I was the opposite and had issues with the Sundara, which put me off from sticking with Hifiman. Their customer service was great though and they did replace my defective pair. If my issues with Focal persist and their service side doesn't improve I'll probably move onto something else as well. I hope it doesn't come to that as I do love the hell out of the Clear's sound signature.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #8,343 of 12,588
Appreciate the response! Hopefully the issue doesn't persist with a different setup for me as well...

Also I was the opposite and had issues with the Sundara, which put me off from sticking with Hifiman. Their customer service was great though and they did replace my defective pair. If my issues with Focal persist and their service side doesn't improve I'll probably move onto something else as well. I hope it doesn't come to that as I do love the hell out of the Clear's sound signature.
I totally understand what you’re saying, had long thoughts before letting go on my tendency to get the Clear and going the Hifiman way. The QC on the HM is not that great but at least they stand behind their products.
Did you try to alter the gain on your amp side ??

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #8,344 of 12,588
I totally understand what you’re saying, had long thoughts before letting go on my tendency to get the Clear and going the Hifiman way. The QC on the HM is not that great but at least they stand behind their products.
Did you try to alter the gain on your amp side ??

I keep it on low gain almost always. I tested it on high gain at 9 o'clock and it didn't make a difference.

And yeah Hifiman at least acknowledge and address their QC issues. Reading all the Focal horror stories is pretty deflating.

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #8,345 of 12,588
I keep it on low gain almost always. I tested it on high gain at 9 o'clock and it didn't make a difference.

And yeah Hifiman at least acknowledge and address their QC issues. Reading all the Focal horror stories is pretty deflating.
I genuinely Hope you have a lucky pair coz I enjoyed a lot my Elear while it was still working and was heading mostly towards the Utopia but i was sure i will get the same deaf ears from Focal if anything went wrong with it.

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #8,346 of 12,588
There was an issue with pre-production units of the Focal Utopia line before the official release, which let to Focal stopping the production and delayed the launch until they fixed it. In case someone somehow got their hands on one of those pre-production units, Focal did offer an exchange. This issue has been fixed many years ago.

I don't know what you guys are doing with your Focal headphones but mine all work flawless and both the Focal Utopia and Focal Clear I have are both bought at launch (so they are quite old).

However when I read how people use tube amps or some other type of amplifiers with these headphones, I always wonder why people do this when both Utopia and Clear are super easy to drive and do not need an external amplifier.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #8,347 of 12,588
There was an issue with pre-production units of the Focal Utopia line before the official release, which let to Focal stopping the production and delayed the launch until they fixed it. In case someone somehow got their hands on one of those pre-production units, Focal did offer an exchange. This issue has been fixed many years ago.

I don't know what you guys are doing with your Focal headphones but mine all work flawless and both the Focal Utopia and Focal Clear I have are both bought at launch.

However when I read how people use tube amps or some other type of amplifiers with these headphones, I always wonder why people do this when both Utopia and Clear are super easy to drive and do not need an external amplifier.
My Elear was bought in 2017 most probably from the unlucky batch but ain’t the point.
They extended the warranty to 5 years while turning a deaf ear to any communication regarding this issue, i even told them i would pay for the replacement coil!!!
And worst things worst us that everytime you contact them you got a french reply that their engineers will come back to you shortly..... hopefully this century and it’s totally unprofessional and frustrating.
My 2 cents

Jan 1, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #8,348 of 12,588

I don't know what you guys are doing with your Focal headphones but mine all work flawless and both the Focal Utopia and Focal Clear I have are both bought at launch (so they are quite old).

And to answer your question about the amps, it’s a hobby after all And people like to experiment and shell money in a hobby 😊😊😊

Jan 1, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #8,349 of 12,588
Best of all “The” wife normally never can tell how expensive a can could get 😂😂😂

Jan 1, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #8,350 of 12,588
My Elear was bought in 2017 most probably from the unlucky batch but ain’t the point.
They extended the warranty to 5 years while turning a deaf ear to any communication regarding this issue, i even told them i would pay for the replacement coil!!!
And worst things worst us that everytime you contact them you got a french reply that their engineers will come back to you shortly..... hopefully this century and it’s totally unprofessional and frustrating.
My 2 cents

I did not have to deal with Focal support yet, but other manufacturers like Shure are terrible too.

However if you bought it from a high-end shop (who for example also sell their $200.000 top of the range speakers), they will have more power in conversations and they will take care of you if the manufacturer will not help you.

As an example, Sennheiser wanted me to pay to get the Sennheiser HD 800 fixed. The shop thought it was BS as it should be covered under warranty and they replaced it for me for free.

For the stuff that I bought at a relative small unknown shop, Chord was basically trolling them and the repair cost was so high, I might as well buy a new unit.

But best is to avoid Focal in the future then (I will never buy something from Shure again in my case) and only buy stuff from high-end shops so that you will be taken care off if the manufacturers are crap.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #8,351 of 12,588
And to answer your question about the amps, it’s a hobby after all And people like to experiment and shell money in a hobby 😊😊😊

Yes, but I do wonder if it could contribute to failures if you use very powerful amplifiers with headphones that do not need it :p

But ofcourse, experimenting is always good with the aim to get the sound that you like.

Jan 1, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #8,352 of 12,588
Yes, but I do wonder if it could contribute to failures if you use very powerful amplifiers with headphones that do not need it :p

But ofcourse, experimenting is always good with the aim to get the sound that you like.
Well now u r getting me thinking 🤔 as the Violectric V90 is one of the highest power throughput in the market 😂😂😂

Jan 1, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #8,353 of 12,588
But still selling replacement parts is not a bad thing to do though !

Jan 1, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #8,354 of 12,588
But still selling replacement parts is not a bad thing to do though !

Yes indeed. But that might be a bit difficult I think. As an example, you cannot ask Apple to sell only their M1 chip if you want to fix the Mac yourself. Only user replaceable stuff is sold separately usually.

Can you simply not pressure the shop you bought it from that he has to swap it for a new unit if he cannot get it fixed with Focal or else give a refund. And then quote some consumer laws that apply in your country?

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #8,355 of 12,588
Yes indeed. But that might be a bit difficult I think. As an example, you cannot ask Apple to sell only their M1 chip if you want to fix the Mac yourself. Only user replaceable stuff is sold separately usually.

Can you simply not pressure the shop you bought it from that he has to swap it for a new unit if he cannot get it fixed with Focal or else give a refund. And then quote some consumer laws that apply in your country?
Problem is that am living overseas and all my stuff is ordered through Amazon without any local representatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back