Focal Clear headphones
Oct 2, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #4,636 of 12,579
Also, Focal COULD add a «soft clipping», reduce dynamics at higher loudness to reduce the chance of the driver hitting max excursion and producing this crackling sound. According to Focal that’s how other manufacturers do it, but they don’t want to compromise sound quality so they let the headphones go with max dynamics until they hit max excursion

Oct 2, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #4,637 of 12,579
Because the HD800S has 300ohm impedance and the T1 600ohm impedance. The Elear/Elex are 80ohm and the Clear 55ohm. It’s not a design flaw, that’s what happens when you drive low impedance headphones with a high impedance amp.
Nope. You dont know what youre talking. Heard Fostex Th900 it can handle bass as a champ, Had Sennheisers with low impedance and it didnt had these problems... you can defend your headphones all you want, but they have problems. Thats why i didnt buy Utopia after i heard that it had problems by myself.

Oct 2, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #4,638 of 12,579
Nope. You dont know what youre talking. Heard Fostex Th900 it can handle bass as a champ, Had Sennheisers with low impedance and it didnt had these problems... you can defend your headphones all you want, but they have problems. Thats why i didnt buy Utopia after i heard that it had problems by myself.

Take a deep breath, friend.

You're talking about headphones that all use very different driver technologies. The Focals are designed like loud speakers, they have very light drivers/suspension which gives them a large amount of excursion. Overdrive them at the wrong frequencies (either with too much volume, or with an amp that has too high an OI) and you'll experience mechanical clipping, just like a loud speaker.

It's not a flaw, they were designed this way on purpose. And as said before, I've owned two pairs and auditioned countless others and I've never experienced clipping.

If you don't like these headphones and/or want to start a fight, look elsewhere.

Oct 2, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #4,639 of 12,579
Take a deep breath, friend.

You're talking about headphones that all use very different driver technologies. The Focals are designed like loud speakers, they have very light drivers/suspension which gives them a large amount of excursion. Overdrive them at the wrong frequencies (either with too much volume, or with an amp that has too high an OI) and you'll experience mechanical clipping, just like a loud speaker.

It's not a flaw, they were designed this way on purpose. And as said before, I've owned two pairs and auditioned countless others and I've never experienced clipping.

If you don't like these headphones and/or want to start a fight, look elsewhere.
as always, well spoken Phil

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #4,640 of 12,579
I've never hear clipping on my Utopia (owned for 1 year). Never heard during my 2 auditions of Clear.

However, I never listen at high volume as I'm trying to preserve what's left of my hearing :head_bandage:

Oct 3, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #4,641 of 12,579
I am curious can someone confirm that Clears do still have mechanical clipping like Elear and Utopia ?
Thanks
Had this issue with my Clears, on the Sony TA-Z1HES Dac/Amp. Would start clipping on bass heavy tracks (2049 Ost for instance). But we are talking about ears deafening volume (85% volume, - 15db on low gain), so bear that in mind.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #4,642 of 12,579
While I haven't heard the Elex, I did own the Elear with the Dekoni pads for a while which is pretty much the same as the Elex. I returned (via a certain retailers 365 day return policy) the Elear to purchase the Clear and I couldn't be happier.

Here is the best way I can describe the difference - with the Clear you get the clarity, refinement and separation of the Sennheiser HD800 (unfortunately NOT the huge soundstage though) in addition to what the Elear/Elex already bring to the table. A lot of people also think that the Clear alleviates the upper mid suck in of the Elear/Elex. I didn't really notice that at all on the Elear however others have mentioned that they need to increase the volume to hear female vocals (4K to 6K FR range) on the Elear/Elex but don't have a similar problem on the Clear.

The two areas where I feel the Elex trumps the Clear is on Dynamics (Clear doesn't hit as hard) and color way (IMO, the Elex, by far, is one of the best looking headphones I've ever seen). I forked over around $600 originally for the Elear (plus $80 for the Dekoni pads) and paying almost twice as much ($1,250) for the Clear was very much worth it. Just my opinion so take it for what it's worth - perhaps others who had a similar upgrade journey can chime in.
I also heard Elex sounding to have more dynamics sounding closer to Utopia than Clear. Same for the 6k treble energy, it's as prominent or maybe more relatively. Clear doesn't sound to have that prominance, and seems easier listen with more of a mainstream tuning. It's clear to me Utopia has the most resolution of the 3, but unfortunately, along with it, there's the treble prominenance that can come off a bit much compared to Clear.

Matter a fact, Utopia is the most detailed cans I've heard in terms of resolution. It does truely sound like putting out much details. There are some others like Susvara or Abyss Phi I have not heard, so no idea how it compares to them, but definately sounds more detailed than HD800(S). It sound more detailed in a truer detailing sense as HD800(S) detailing has more to do with treble lift, although the response is really tight.

I've strived for more resolution since the begining of this hobby, and realized more details doesn't mean enjoyable. I think it's about how detailing is done that can make the listening enjoyable and resolving at the same time.

You know a headphone is good when it is desirable to have to listen to music for it's qualities in a musical way, not a technical way. Creating more of a desire to explore music due to enjoyment.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #4,643 of 12,579
Had this issue with my Clears, on the Sony TA-Z1HES Dac/Amp. Would start clipping on bass heavy tracks (2049 Ost for instance). But we are talking about ears deafening volume (85% volume, - 15db on low gain), so bear that in mind.

I use the Sony TA-Z1HES to drive my Focal Clear via it’s 4pin XLR cable. Not experienced any such clipping yet.

Oct 3, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #4,644 of 12,579
The only time I experienced clipping with my clears was when I was testing a Schiit Vali (even tried replacing the tube). The Vali's 5.8 output impedance should have been okay. But, it was definitely there.

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #4,645 of 12,579

May I ask how do you connect your Focal Clear to the Sony TA, which cable? High of Low Gain.

Thank you.

I have been using the 4pin XLR by Focal and now use LOW Gain on the Sony TA.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #4,647 of 12,579
A Mojo ... obviously.
You won't find anything better below 1k.
The only con of the Mojo is that it does not support the Chord Mscaler, but there we are talking 6k total.
Edit: Sorry missed you were looking for amp only, but even then.. it works best as single unit, dac and hp amp.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #4,648 of 12,579
I recently bought the Focal Clears.
I already own the EL DAC (coaxial) and still need an Amp.
I have a budget of 500€ for the Amp, do you guys have any recommendations?

I have a Massdrop Cavalli Liquid Carbon X and a Schiit Lyr 2. The Clear sounds amazing with either. The LCX can be had (with a built in DAC) for $379 on Massdrop. The Lyr 2 can be found use on EBay for less than $300 and if you get lucky on a 15%-20% coupon day for close to $200.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #4,649 of 12,579
I recently bought the Focal Clears.
I already own the EL DAC (coaxial) and still need an Amp.
I have a budget of 500€ for the Amp, do you guys have any recommendations?

Elex owner hear desperately trying to resit getting a Clear! LOL
..If you have other headphones with high(er) impedance, I recommend an amp with variable gain like a Violectric V100 or V200 or Lake People RS 02. I'll second the Mojo a very good option - it's a surprisingly good amp and excellent DAC.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #4,650 of 12,579
Thanks for the answers.

A Mojo ... obviously.
I don't want to get the Mojo because I don't like battery for desktop use (which I need the Amp for). When I tested the Chord Mojo with the Clears I loved it though. To my ears it sounded like it made the music slightly softer and easier to listen to, so if there is an Amp with a similar sound signature under 600€ I would buy it instantly.
Also, I occassionally play rhythm games and the Mojo adds to much audio delay.

I have a Massdrop Cavalli Liquid Carbon X and a Schiit Lyr 2.
The LCX and Lyr 3 (not 2) sound interesting, but I live in Germany so Massdrop isn't the best option. Would i get the Lyr 3 over the Jotunheim?

If you have other headphones with high(er) impedance, I recommend an amp with variable gain like a Violectric V100 or V200 or Lake People RS 02.
The Focal Clears are my only "end game" headphones so variable gain is not a must have, although I probably want it because of the low impedance of the Clears? I could look for a used V200.

The Lyr 3, Jotunheim, Lake People RS 02 and V200 look like good options. Any opinions on these Amp considering I like the Mojo sound signature? or other recommendations?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back