Focal Clear headphones
Sep 29, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #4,606 of 12,651
Someone on another forum posted a link towards a page in German for pre-ordering the Focal Elegia. The page reveals many features, e.g.:
- 35 ohm only
- 105 dB SPL
- 3,5 mm cable, length = 1,2m, with 6,35 mm adapter
- carrying case included...

Focal-Elegia.jpg

You can see more pics (and info) on that page:

https://hifi-suite.de/produkt/focal-elegia-high-end-kopfhoerer-dynamisch-geschlossener-bauart/

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #4,607 of 12,651
Sep 30, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #4,609 of 12,651
Someone on another forum posted a link towards a page in German for pre-ordering the Focal Elegia. The page reveals many features, e.g.:
- 35 ohm only
- 105 dB SPL
- 3,5 mm cable, length = 1,2m, with 6,35 mm adapter
- carrying case included...

You can see more pics (and info) on that page:

https://hifi-suite.de/produkt/focal-elegia-high-end-kopfhoerer-dynamisch-geschlossener-bauart/

They let the light grey alcantara on head band ... among everything else that gone black, the part that can't be easily replaced ... grrrr :beyersmile: ...

Sep 30, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #4,610 of 12,651
no complaints about it sounding too "closed"
Yeah, I wonder how's that gonna work out.

They let the light grey alcantara on head band ... among everything else that gone black, the part that can't be easily replaced ... grrrr :beyersmile:
First it looks like someone stitched a patch. Second, if we look at most complaints around here you'll have to ask your self are they they just gone mad.

Sep 30, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #4,611 of 12,651
They let the light grey alcantara on head band ... among everything else that gone black, the part that can't be easily replaced ... grrrr :beyersmile: ...
Haha that’s the first thing I noticed! Clearly they don’t read these forums. Will definitely need my suspension strap mod if I get this.

Sep 30, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #4,612 of 12,651
I’ll probably get flamed for this one but I personally think the styling is just ok, nothing special. I’m a bit underwhelmed if I’m honest. To me the dimpled ear cups look a bit cheap looking and like a bit of an afterthought.
I’d also hoped they would be a bit lighter too.

That being said I’m still interested in seeing what Focal can do with the closed back sound quality.

Sep 30, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #4,613 of 12,651
That being said I’m still interested in seeing what Focal can do with the closed back sound quality.
I am guessing that is easy, just put your hands over the Elear/Elex/Clear earcups.
I think this model does not bring anything tech new/different, it is just packing+color (like the Clear Pros) and the closed earcups, but let's wait for the Jude interview with Focal to clarify that.
If they didin't chnage headband bottom color, they probably didn't add extra padding there either.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #4,614 of 12,651
I am guessing that is easy, just put your hands over the Elear/Elex/Clear earcups.
I think this model does not bring anything tech new/different, it is just packing+color (like the Clear Pros) and the closed earcups, but let's wait for the Jude interview with Focal to clarify that.
If they didin't chnage headband bottom color, they probably didn't add extra padding there either.
I’ll be very surprised if they didn’t re-engineer parts of the headphone, voicecoil and driver to optmise the sound. A closed headphone is not just an open headphone with a cover. Very often special padding and driver tweaking and tuning is required to overcome the inevitable compromises of a closed back headphone. I like the look - stupid light grey padding excepted - but at least there’s a workaround for that (and for the pads if they’re not Elex/Clear quality level).

Sep 30, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #4,615 of 12,651
I’ll be very surprised if they didn’t re-engineer parts of the headphone, voicecoil and driver to optmise the sound. A closed headphone is not just an open headphone with a cover. Very often special padding and driver tweaking and tuning is required to overcome the inevitable compromises of a closed back headphone.
Thinking better, I am clearly wrong, as the impedance is different from all other models, it means the drivers are different also. My bad.

Sep 30, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #4,616 of 12,651
Thinking better, I am clearly wrong, as the impedance is different from all other models, it means the drivers are different also. My bad.
Not necessarily. Could just be a different voice coil like Clear vs Elex/Elear that all share the same driver.

Sep 30, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #4,617 of 12,651
definitely not as easy as just putting a closed cover on the ear cups...

Sep 30, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #4,618 of 12,651
I’ll probably get flamed for this one but I personally think the styling is just ok, nothing special. I’m a bit underwhelmed if I’m honest. To me the dimpled ear cups look a bit cheap looking and like a bit of an afterthought.
I’d also hoped they would be a bit lighter too.

You're not the only that's disappointed in the design... I'm just hoping the sound will make up for it. I wonder if it will sound closer to the Clear, or to the Elear. As long is it doesn't have Elear's scooped out mids, it should be fine. Maybe bass will have more impact due to the closed design too.

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #4,619 of 12,651
You're not the only that's disappointed in the design... I'm just hoping the sound will make up for it. I wonder if it will sound closer to the Clear, or to the Elear. As long is it doesn't have Elear's scooped out mids, it should be fine. Maybe bass will have more impact due to the closed design too.
The Elex or Dekoni pads fix the scoop on the Elear, so these will likely respond well to pad swaps as well. All conjecture at this point. Hopefully bass is controlled and accurate rather than muddy. The Elear/Elex have plenty of punch, but a bit more sub bass would work well for me.

Sep 30, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #4,620 of 12,651
I have had the Focal Clear for about 20 days now. During the first 11 days I let them burn in playing 24/7.

I then listened to them via Chord Mojo from my Mac Desktop computer for a few days. They sounded great.

But then, BOOM - something awesome happened as I received my new Sony TA-Z1HES DESKTOP DAC/AMP.

FOCAL CLEAR WITH SONY TA-Z1HES.
Here are my impressions of the Focal Clear with the Sony TA-ZH1ES (DAC/AMP) after listening and owning for 5 days.

Devices connectivity chain:
APPLE 4KTV (TV Media Streamer)>>>via HDMI Cable>>>LG OLED55C7 (TV) >>>via Optical Cable >>> SONY TA-ZH1ES (DAC/AMP)>>>via Focal 4pin XLR cable>>.FOCAL CLEAR.

Music Source is TIDAL APP (HIFI subscription) playing via Apple TV4K. Movies on Netflix, Amazon Prime on LG OLED TV. Movies purchased on iTunes played on Apple 4KTV.
- Incredibly resolving, picking out every nuance of detail in the source. I watched Movies and Listening to tracks previously experienced and could pick out numerous points of hearing new sounds. Even at low volumes no details are lost, from Wind to Human breathing sounds.
- Very wide Expansive Soundstage = ideal for Movies.Those that say the Focal Clears don’t have very wide Soundstage, they should try listening via the SONY TA.
- Instrument seperation miles ahead of the Chord Mojo and Questyle CMA600i.
- Magnificent low end SUB BASE. I have never heard such details in movie explosions.
- Quiet. Based on above set up the Sony TA is dead quiet. Now that’s what we should expect from a £1,500 device.
- Smoothness. It has wonderful Euphoric smoothness to the sound, which I guess is part of the Sony signature sound. This is good for lower quality recordings to eliminate harshness, but it doesn’t compromise on any details. I just don’t know how they have achieved this. Amazing.
- DSD REMASTERING = I am not sure if I can tell a difference with this on or off. However sometimes I think it is better left ON, but never any worse. So I leave it on.
- DSEE HX = I cannot hear a difference ON or OFF.

RELATIVE COMPARISONS NOTES
The above comparisons I make in comparison to 2 other DACS which I have listened to extensively with the same headphones, Focal Clears. They are the CHORD MOJO, which I own and the QUESTYLE CMA600i. The SONY TA sounds leagues ahead of the Mojo and Questyle CMA600i when driving the Focal Clear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back