Focal Clear headphones
Feb 21, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #2,746 of 12,550

Joining the owner's club today.
I'm really satisfied with these two for home use - they compliment each other very well. I also like how they are both relatively easy to drive well from almost any source, I'm getting great results from both my Hugo 2 or straight from portable sources, I like this trend of non-picky flagship headphones that goes well with almost anything. :)
Congrats on the new acquisition. Looking forward to reading your impressions.

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #2,747 of 12,550

I'm really satisfied with these two for home use - they compliment each other very well. I also like how they are both relatively easy to drive well from almost any source, I'm getting great results from both my Hugo 2 or straight from portable sources, I like this trend of non-picky flagship headphones that goes well with almost anything. :)
Oh wow lucky you,never heard the Sony but what a collection,I take it the clear doesn't sound bright with the Hugo 2 like ppl have said? Made up for you

Feb 21, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #2,748 of 12,550

Great set. One of the 1st things you should do in case your eyes are getting tired like mine is to apply my cheap little trick - a big increase in life quality... 5 minutes and $0 ...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-clear-headphones.861727/page-57#post-13887166

just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #2,749 of 12,550
Feb 21, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #2,751 of 12,550
I know it wasn't for me mate but I haven't got a clue,small plastic?

Yes, a hard plastic section I trimmed from a wire connector like the one bellow. It runs freely on the cable... diameter and stiffness just right.

5652E170-8BC6-4C93-8357-6EF3AFE2A163.jpeg

It has made my life so easier, everyday storing Clear and cables, switching cables, ...

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #2,752 of 12,550
Yes, a hard plastic section I trimmed from a wire connector like the one bellow. It runs freely on the cable... diameter and stiffness just right.

It has made my life so easier, everyday storing Clear and cables, switching cables, ...
That's a spade connector. After you cut the female connector part off, it became a short butt connector. I've done this myself in the past because I only had long butt connectors which where too big for my what I was doing, and if you cut a butt connector in half, they usually collapse at the cut end and you can't feed the wire through that end.

Feb 21, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #2,754 of 12,550
Isn't the clear 3.5 phono into the headphones I really don't get it mate

Sure. I just stripped that red plastic cut out of that connector and used it as a marker for the original clear cable. The image is only to illustrate where I I got the pastic piece from.
I hope I'm being "clear”... English is not my 7th language ... :wink: ...

Feb 21, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #2,755 of 12,550
Sure. I just stripped that red plastic cut out of that connector and used it as a marker for the original clear cable. The image is only to illustrate where I I got the pastic piece from.
I hope I'm being "clear”... English is not my 7th language ... :wink: ...

Hahaha you Europeans and your languages! At least you all understand English will be the primary language eventually. English is my second language and for some reason I can’t fit anymore languages in my head! :)

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Feb 21, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #2,758 of 12,550
Regarding the color, yes, that was my first thought when I saw the light color. But I bought them anyway because of the performance and also because (1) they're not suede but some Alcantara type of artificial material which I'm hoping will be more resistant to staining, and (2) Focal has replacement earpads which are easy to attach (snap off snap on) -- but presumably at a somewhat costly price. The headband? Who knows.

Cleaning the Alcantara
First, it's been confirmed that the fabric is Alcantara (maybe this has mentioned previously someplace.) At Can Jam NY I spoke with one of the Focal people at the Focal booth who confirmed this. I asked if it could be cleaned and he said it could and recommended the following:
(1) Alcantara cleaning kit (there are quite a few) available online or at an auto supply store. He said this is the preferred way to clean the Alcantara
(2) Clorox Wipes - He said you can use this but it's not as good as an Alcantara cleaning kit and cautioned to only dab the wipe on the Alcantara, NOT to rub it.

Personally, while the Alcantara can be cleaned, per above, for the headband I prefer to keep it entirely clean by wrapping some fabric (black or gray) around the headband and affixing it with some.tape. It adds a bit of padding and moisture absorption and doesn't look bad at all. Not that I care -- it's usually just me who sees it.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #2,759 of 12,550

Great tip. I haven't gotten used to the orientation of the Clear yet this little DIY tip would make things a lot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back