Focal Clear headphones
Feb 20, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #2,731 of 12,543
I have the Clear Pros, and I'm wondering if I should upgrade from Schiit Bifrost Multibit and Asgard 2 to Hugo 2...

I've driven my Utopia with my Mojo many times and always prefer my bimby/a2 stack. I recently had a chance to audition the Hugo 2 and just couldn't get into it, something about it seemed too digital to me. It's hard to explain, but it's more or less how I hear the Mojo through the Utopia as well.

I learned that day that my next big purchase is a big tube amp though, so my preferences may not match yours.

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #2,733 of 12,543
Wow same price for the Clear pro and normal (in the EU site). Unless anyone looking for the Clear (in EU) is dead set on the Grey color scheme, the extra pads of the pro seem like a no brainer.

Depends on what you're looking for. IMO the cable set included with the regular Clear make it a no-brainer. :wink:

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #2,735 of 12,543
My dad died so not really been on here much,thanks for that,I'm still gonna order the clear pro,I love the colour and I'll never use the balanced cable,gonna speak to Nintronics when they open after.

So sorry to read about your loss, prayers for Christ’s peace, be well.

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #2,737 of 12,543
How do you like it so far? I’ve noticed some people say the Hugo has some aggressive treble with the Clear, I’ve listened to several recordings but I have not noticed anything but a very pleasing experience despite being treble sensitive.
I've not got the clear yet but with my flare pro and listening through my main system I think the hugo 2 is crystal clear,no harshness at all

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #2,738 of 12,543
Clear is very efficient. Save your money. I have Hugo (original), but any gains from hugo would not be day and night.
But I heard that Headamp Gilmore lite mk2 is fantastic at $500. What I heard is that it does not have chanel imbalance issues like jotunheim.
Of course, if you are able to hear very subtle difference with different DACs, go and try hugo 2
I had the Chord 2 qute and in my opinion it's night and day difference between that and the Hugo 2,I wasn't expecting it to be this much better,I was using the focal utopia going through the Chord 2 qute dac and a trilogy 933 but I'm so looking forward to getting the clear,fed directly from the hugo 2,you miss so much by adding an amp,I think the sound will be the best that I will of heard.Before I ever think of upgrading my clear headphones I would upgrade my Hugo 2 to a Dave I really do think the dac makes that much of a difference,I'm part ex my naim nd5 xs to get the clear because I tried my phone against the naim and couldn't hear any difference as a source hence why I'm buying a Astell and Kern ak 70 mk 2

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #2,739 of 12,543
Can't afford a Hugo 2 and probably wouldn't spend money on anything else portable. I'm looking forward to hearing how well the QP1R will drive the Clear's. I'm a full time grad student at 55, working with 2 remaining brain cells from my younger years. I'm taking a break until Fall so the timing to enjoy new gear is right. I may pick up a Questyle CMA400i or CMA600i if I feel the need for more oomph.

I would recommend looking at the cheaper FiiO X7 mk2, with the modular amps. AM5 is a good amp option for Clear, either for power and tonality, a bit warmer and with a fuller body than stock amp (AM3A).

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #2,740 of 12,543
The QP1 & 2R do pretty well on the Clear. The 2R has a bit more headroom but the 1R doesn’t struggle getting the Clear to sing for you. :)
Thanks for confirming what I've read on the QP1R thread. I'm pretty excited about this purchase.

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #2,741 of 12,543
I would recommend looking at the cheaper FiiO X7 mk2, with the modular amps. AM5 is a good amp option for Clear, either for power and tonality, a bit warmer and with a fuller body than stock amp (AM3A).
Really no interest in buying anything with a plug in amp. I'm sure that the FiiO sounds great. But for myself, I would rather take any money available and put it into a table top setup.

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #2,742 of 12,543
Really no interest in buying anything with a plug in amp. I'm sure that the FiiO sounds great. But for myself, I would rather take any money available and put it into a table top setup.

Sorry, I wasn't aware you already had the QP1R

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #2,744 of 12,543
All suggestions are appreciated

:slight_smile:

Thanks. I'm curious to know about the Clear/QP1R match... if you care to share your thoughts. I am very happy with CMA400i btw...
Regards

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #2,745 of 12,543
20180221_171957575_iOS.jpg

Joining the owner's club today.
I'm really satisfied with these two for home use - they compliment each other very well. I also like how they are both relatively easy to drive well from almost any source, I'm getting great results from both my Hugo 2 or straight from portable sources, I like this trend of non-picky flagship headphones that goes well with almost anything. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back