Focal Clear headphones
Feb 19, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #2,671 of 12,550
This was the response I got from Focal when asked for the difference between the Clear and Clear Professional. I had read about the different cable options a few pages back, but apparently, there may be a difference in tuning as well.

"The major difference comes down to use. Focal has been manufacturing some of the recording industry’s leading studio monitors for years, as well as speakers for domestic and automobile applications. When they began designing headphones, it only made sense to produce a monitoring headphone for recording studios.

The first models were the Spirit Classic and Spirit Pro. The difference between the two was in the voicing. The Classic was voiced warmer and had leather trim. The Pro had a flatter response for more analytical accuracy. The same goes for the current Clear and Clear Pro. The Pro is designed to render a flatter response, while the home version is voiced to deliver the sound most audiophiles prefer.

The other difference between them is the cable. Pro headphones ship with a coiled cable more resistant to constant movement. The standard Clear ships with various straight cables, including both balanced and unbalanced options."
That's brilliant mate thank you for that,I rang Nintronics up this morning and basically said it was just the cables that were different and the colour,I loved the spirit pro when I owned them so wonder if I'd made a mistake not getting them instead of the Clear.Does neutral mean flat response as I thought the clear was pretty much neutral,proper wrecked my head now,I live miles away from Nintronics so I doubt they would send me both to listen too,gutted now.I can see it now listening to my focal clear and going on inner fidelity and Tyll throwing the clear off the wall of fame and replacing them with the focal clear pro

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #2,672 of 12,550
Focal's new Clear Professional headphones are intended to start to bridge the gap between the highly-regarded Clears, mentioned above, and the truly outstanding (and significantly pricier) Utopia 'phones.That's what one site says,what's going on? ? ?Gonna phone Nintronics tomorrow,I never liked the classic much preferred the spirit pro,I'm gonna change my order tomorrow.I love the coiled cable and I think you get two extra ear pads with the pro,I'll never use the balanced cable on the Clear,loving the colour as well black with red superb

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #2,673 of 12,550
.... The difference between the two was in the voicing. The Classic was voiced warmer and had leather trim. The Pro had a flatter response for more analytical accuracy. The same goes for the current Clear and Clear Pro. The Pro is designed to render a flatter response, while the home version is voiced to deliver the sound most audiophiles prefer....
."

Thanks for this information. From what I read, I guess Clear Professional is brighter with more energy on upper mid/lower treble, while Clear is darker with a dip in those regions.

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #2,674 of 12,550
This was the response I got from Focal when asked for the difference between the Clear and Clear Professional. I had read about the different cable options a few pages back, but apparently, there may be a difference in tuning as well.

"The major difference comes down to use. Focal has been manufacturing some of the recording industry’s leading studio monitors for years, as well as speakers for domestic and automobile applications. When they began designing headphones, it only made sense to produce a monitoring headphone for recording studios.

The first models were the Spirit Classic and Spirit Pro. The difference between the two was in the voicing. The Classic was voiced warmer and had leather trim. The Pro had a flatter response for more analytical accuracy. The same goes for the current Clear and Clear Pro. The Pro is designed to render a flatter response, while the home version is voiced to deliver the sound most audiophiles prefer.

The other difference between them is the cable. Pro headphones ship with a coiled cable more resistant to constant movement. The standard Clear ships with various straight cables, including both balanced and unbalanced options."

Wait, what? Why is this conflicting with what other Focal representatives have publicly released? Focal directly told everyone Clear Professional doesn't sound different. TSAV, an authorized Focal dealer, confirmed that it doesn't sound different. They even heard Clear and Clear professional side-by-side in person and re-confirmed it doesn't sound different. It doesn't look like the production Professional is shipping yet, so are they still deciding if it will be tuned differently?

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #2,675 of 12,550
Wait, what? Why is this conflicting with what other Focal representatives have publicly released? Focal directly told everyone Clear Professional doesn't sound different. TSAV, an authorized Focal dealer, confirmed that it doesn't sound different. They even heard Clear and Clear professional side-by-side in person and re-confirmed it doesn't sound different. It doesn't look like the production Professional is shipping yet, so are they still deciding if it will be tuned differently?
This was what I was told yesterday as well from Focal- no tuning difference. Hmmm

28E162F7-FE56-4D2C-B57B-4022B3FA738D.jpeg

I actually really like the color in person instead of what I saw online. I thought it was was more of sharp bright red, but in person it is more of a crimson.

Feb 19, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #2,676 of 12,550
Per Nicolas Debard from Focal France.

Clear is a totally different headphone when compared to the Elear and Utopia, with a brand new voice coil 100% made of copper to get even more control within the magnet circuit and the magnet gap. The bass then benefits from even more details and articulation. The high frequencies are also even more linear.

Clear Professional is a Clear with different finish and accessories to fit with the requirements of the pro users (coiled cable to avoid the cable to distroy knobs on the mixing console which is what can happen with a straight cable), a pair of spare cushions because most of the time engineers working in the same studio would use the same gear (each engineer will then have his own pair of cushions), and to finish with only jack connectors, no xlr 4 pins since all the pro gears are using 1/4" jack. The sound tuning is the exact same than Clear.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 19, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #2,677 of 12,550
Per Nicolas Debard from Focal France.

Clear is a totally different headphone when compared to the Elear and Utopia, with a brand new voice coil 100% made of copper to get even more control within the magnet circuit and the magnet gap. The bass then benefits from even more details and articulation. The high frequencies are also even more linear.

Clear Professional is a Clear with different finish and accessories to fit with the requirements of the pro users (coiled cable to avoid the cable to distroy knobs on the mixing console which is what can happen with a straight cable), a pair of spare cushions because most of the time engineers working in the same studio would use the same gear (each engineer will then have his own pair of cushions), and to finish with only jack connectors, no xlr 4 pins since all the pro gears are using 1/4" jack. The sound tuning is the exact same than Clear.
Well it looks like that's all sorted then,thanks,still like the red and black and coiled cable but if it's not shipping yet don't think I'll wait if no difference in sound signature,it's like a bit of an anticlimax now.I'll phone NAIM tomorrow just to clarify.Half the ppl in Ere don't even own any of these products,you know who you are and so do we

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #2,678 of 12,550
While that's true, his review of the Clear was uncharacteristically superlative.

Not that I take Tyll's word as gospel. I happen to enjoy the HD700s which he seems to believe are an affront to humanity.

Well, they were a bit bright with Sabre dacs, so I understand why people didn't like them at the time. Fatiguing. I much prefer them with my ZH1ES vs my PHA-3. Not that it matters now, It's time to let them go.
Still prefer the bass on them to the HD800 O.G.

I think the Focal Clear Professional look very sexy in that black and red color scheme. It's a shame about the cables tho, which are not as nice.
But finding or building aftermarket cables is kinda part of the fun IMO, so not the end of the world.

Feb 19, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #2,679 of 12,550
The coiled cable was picked as that is what studios prefer. This I have never understood. they say the coil prevents catching on controls on the mixing boards. I would think a coiled cable would be worse. Clear Pro's are shipping. So either regular or Pro Clear can be ordered. I'm on the fence about the red pads. I have Focal imperial red Sopra 2 speakers and these in red are delicious. But cant wrap my head around the red pads yet:)

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 19, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #2,680 of 12,550
None of my headphones that I used in the studio were coiled and they never interfered with my outboard gear that I was running (I am not producing anymore since I got a full time job now :p). But if I was still producing, I would simply take the regular Clear and buy some nice 3rd party after market cable.

Feb 19, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #2,681 of 12,550
None of my headphones that I used in the studio were coiled and they never interfered with my outboard gear that I was running (I am not producing anymore since I got a full time job now :p). But if I was still producing, I would simply take the regular Clear and buy some nice 3rd party after market cable.
Yes but it's nice when you put the rocky soundtrack on and do some press ups that's were the coiled cable comes in,I love black and red so it's a done deal to me

Feb 19, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #2,682 of 12,550
The coiled cable was picked as that is what studios prefer. This I have never understood. they say the coil prevents catching on controls on the mixing boards. I would think a coiled cable would be worse.

Coiled cables stretch if caught, straight cables pull, right?

Feb 19, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #2,684 of 12,550
Yes but it's nice when you put the rocky soundtrack on and do some press ups that's were the coiled cable comes in,I love black and red so it's a done deal to me

Ask your family about the color of Clear professional. Mine vehemently opposed to its color and favor Clear vanilla. :anguished:

Feb 19, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #2,685 of 12,550

Apparently clear and clear pro no difference in sound yet you spoke to focal yes ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back