1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Focal Clear headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by mtoc, Oct 1, 2017.
First

Back
168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177
179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188
Next

Last
  1. paul2qute
    Think we have similar taste,I had the 007 but didn't like them,too dark for me,had the 507 but the sl 700 is in a different league,love the bass on them as well

nanaholic likes this.
  2. paul2qute
    What's with the clear professional headphones ?? ??

3. Paulo Abreu
    Glad I got Clear before his review, I feel much better with my decision - Anyway, I bough it blinded... LOL

4. paul2qute
    And take it you like the sound? I've just ordered mine this morning can't wait to get it now buzzing

5. doraymon
    Yes I agree the review of the Clear was unusually enthusiastic.
    In my experience my taste is very close to Tyll’s and to @Currawong. Even though sometimes different between them I always understand their description and judge if that product is what I’m looking for.
    I bought the Clear after Tyll’s review but spent at list a couple of hours testing them before deciding.
    I couldn’t be happier now...
    Well, maybe with a Dave but that’s a different story...

tradyblix and Matro5 like this.
  6. Paulo Abreu
    Its pretty interesting to read about all the experiences and how we all differ in opinion and on hearing perception, how we then express that perception into words and how we rise and focus on subjects to be hot or "secondary" topics of discussion. To my hearing Clear sounds just neutral in the sense I don't find a hotspot listening to various genres and recordings. Thats where brain burning comes in, two different people that are used to listen to HD800 and LCD3 as example will tag Clear as dark or bright at first impression, on both cases after some listening hours it will soften for both on opposite directions but in the end it will never sound the same because they hear differently. Personaly I like bright detailed signatures but not at the expense of bass, who doesn't like a good bammm? but I never EQ because almost all EQs I've tried just ruin the sound quality, I do respect people that EQ on the pursuit of that tonal perfect balance for their tastes, to correct the recording or the imperfections of their gear.

Sure, Clear is not the end-of-game headphone and doesn't play everything perfectly, but it sounds damned good with almost everything and fantastically with the most.

My 2 cents

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  7. paul2qute
    I'm sure the clear will be my end game headphones and my flare pro end game in ears,don't know why ppl go on about the focal utopia,when I listen to my speakers at home do I think I wonder what I'm missing compared to the Grande Utopia speakers,of course I don't it's absolutely ridiculous way of thinking,do I drive my car and think I wonder what I'm missing compared to say a 911 turbo,it's like being at school in here the way some ppl talk,this is better than that one or mine is better than yours.Different horses for different courses

Matro5 likes this.
  8. herrsmith
    Unfortunately, having listened to the Utopia, I now know what I'm missing by not owning them. They are absolutely my endgame headphones, for now. But that doesn't mean I can't sit back and enjoy listening to music on other headphones. There seems to be a little more comparison between the different Focals than there are for most other headphone manufacturers, and I think that's because of how all three are positioned. Of course, they all look pretty similar, but they also seem to have deliberately placed the Clear directly between the Elear and Utopia, so it will naturally invite comparison to the other two.

In your car analogy, it's as if Porsche released another sports car that sat neatly between the Cayman/Boxster and the 911. It would naturally be compared to the 911, and the Cayman/Boxster would naturally be compared to it. Sure, you wouldn't think of it all the time while driving the car, but it would probably come up in just about any conversation about the car that you had, even if it was a truly great car in its own right. It's just a natural comparison in conversation.

9. dontfeedphils
    Some prefer the Clear, some prefer the Utopia. Not much more to it.

paul2qute, bfreedma and swmtnbiker like this.
  10. SilverEars
    It's certainly not dark. I've heard veil and dark, and generally my preference isn't dark. It's treble is slightly supressed compared to cans with higher treble energy so it plays better with greater genre of music and doesn't get fitiguing or worries on switching headphones due to the track's treble.

I know veil. HD650 is a bit veiled if coming from treble energy phones, but this subsides over time. LCD2 a bit veiled in upper mids, lowest treble.

I heard Clear going from Utopia, and it didn't sound dark, but treble energy under 9k being supressed. Utopia certainly has more treble energy, and brighter.

tradyblix likes this.
  11. NickedWicked
    I must say this Clear is growing on me, the treble spike at the high mids seems to be smoothed out by some burn in, I really like the presentation too. Very clear but not too harsh on shabby recordings and this subtle way of presenting details I like a lot, makes paying attention to the song and just focusing on it so much better and enjoyable, unlike it's big brother!

I generally like dark headphones to avoid headaches and my right ears tinnitus but the Clear seems to fit right in despite it's very slightly warm sound signature. (Might be down to my amp)

Also what do you guys think about the cables? I mean they are very nicely made although just a bit too stiff IMO, bit annoying at my desk. :gs1000smile:

12. Matro5
    Headfi in a nutshell. This is exactly how I feel. In some ways, the Clear is the first headphone I've owned that I want to build a real system around. On the other hand, the quest to justify an "endgame" amp is made slightly complicated by the fact that they sound good out of everything I own (including a MacBook Air).

Either way, I'm firmly in the "Clear is an end-game headphone" camp. I think nearly everyone on this site ( including me ) would agree that that's true of the HD800/S, and many ( including me ) believe the Clear is the better headphone.

gibby and swmtnbiker like this.
  13. paul2qute
    Well explained mate I can see your way of thinking.If the Focal clear came out first I would think it would of been the best headphones out there,I just want something different from the Utopia as I love focal as a company.I was gonna buy the b&w p9 headphones as I've heard the bass is amazing but think I'm on the right path with the focal clear

14. kino lau
    This was the response I got from Focal when asked for the difference between the Clear and Clear Professional. I had read about the different cable options a few pages back, but apparently, there may be a difference in tuning as well.

"The major difference comes down to use. Focal has been manufacturing some of the recording industry’s leading studio monitors for years, as well as speakers for domestic and automobile applications. When they began designing headphones, it only made sense to produce a monitoring headphone for recording studios.

The first models were the Spirit Classic and Spirit Pro. The difference between the two was in the voicing. The Classic was voiced warmer and had leather trim. The Pro had a flatter response for more analytical accuracy. The same goes for the current Clear and Clear Pro. The Pro is designed to render a flatter response, while the home version is voiced to deliver the sound most audiophiles prefer.

The other difference between them is the cable. Pro headphones ship with a coiled cable more resistant to constant movement. The standard Clear ships with various straight cables, including both balanced and unbalanced options."

phthora and ToddRaymond like this.
  15. Bibo
    I am running the longer cable from the amp to the back of my desk and than under the desk to the front. My Clears rest on a hook at the side of the desk when not in use. Works quite well.

First

Back
168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177
179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188
Next

Last