flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 21, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #37,816 of 39,414
I don’t think so. Outside of a red shell I see nothing different than the Mason FS, and that’s a full 2k cheaper. Do we really need the needless markup?

Both models are using a different bone conduction driver and you're paying a premium for the First Times with Shielding cable too (at least on the $8000 version)

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #37,818 of 39,414
Idk, I'm not sure I believe in that narrative. There are companies that are still producing IEMs that aren't really breaking the price ceiling. Like @davidmolliere said about Vision Ears is a great example.

I'm fairly sure there are more sub $2k IEMs that compete at TOTL level now than there were back in 2018 ish era.

At the end of the day rising prices is more or less a thing that can be applied to everything and not just audio.

I do feel sorry for people that just assume high price = better sound, but it is what it is.
It seems that the majority of the action in the TOTL market is in the $2000-4000 range. If you look at the top 10 rankings for those lucky enough to hear or own the IEMs in this price range, the majority of them will be from this price range. Traillii should probably be priced at $4000 with a more moderately price cable. Anything above that and the price is including something other than sound quality. Maybe luxury or prestige.

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #37,819 of 39,414
It seems that the majority of the action in the TOTL market is in the $2000-4000 range. If you look at the top 10 rankings for those lucky enough to hear or own the IEMs in this price range, the majority of them will be from this price range. Traillii should probably be priced at $4000 with a more moderately price cable. Anything above that and the price is including something other than sound quality. Maybe luxury or prestige.

For sure, the diminishing returns kick in really hard too the higher you start to climb up.

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #37,820 of 39,414
Idk, I'm not sure I believe in that narrative. There are companies that are still producing IEMs that aren't really breaking the price ceiling. Like @davidmolliere said about Vision Ears is a great example.

I'm fairly sure there are more sub $2k IEMs that compete at TOTL level now than there were back in 2018 ish era.

At the end of the day rising prices is more or less a thing that can be applied to everything and not just audio.

I do feel sorry for people that just assume high price = better sound, but it is what it is.
I guess time will tell but people will always want the latest and greatest from known brands. What is the price difference between the Fir M5 and the KE6, Legend X and Legend Evo and so on. The trend is upwards. Some of it R&D, some increasing costs, some opportunistic pricing?

There are fantastic IEMs out there in every price range but at the end of the day, ultimately we're talking about the higher end of the market here. The 8k prices are normalising what should be shocking increases and when a brand then brings out an IEM in the next tier down which was 2.5k last year but the new version is now is 3.1k that somehow seems more acceptable. Even 12 months ago there is no way I would have believed a brand like UM would have been releasing an 8K IEM. They were a brand I used to look to for value!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #37,821 of 39,414
I guess time will tell but people will always want the latest and greatest from known brands. What is the price difference between the Fir M5 and the KE6, Legend X and Legend Evo and so on. The trend is upwards. Some of it R&D, some increasing costs, some opportunistic pricing?

There are fantastic IEMs out there in every price range but at the end of the day, ultimately we're talking about the higher end of the market here. The 8k prices are normalising what should be shocking increases and when a brand then brings out an IEM in the next tier down which was 2.5k last year but the new version is now is 3.1k that somehow seems more acceptable. Even 12 months ago there is no way I would have believed a brand like UM would have been releasing an 8K IEM. They were a brand I used to look to for value!

I agree, at the end of the day the market will speak for itself. Those releases from UM are targeted towards a very specific crowd. If they’re willing to pay for it then why would UM stop? It’s just the unfortunate reality of these limited/special releases.

Anyone with a brain knows UM will more than likely release that same IEM in a much less premium offering at a way lower price. They did it with the Mason Fabled Sound and FuSang.

Let’s not forget 64 audio dropped the $3,599 Fourte in 2017(?) and VE Erlkonig was a 2017(?) IEM priced even higher. I just think more people are willing to pay those prices now and the manufacturers know it.

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #37,822 of 39,414
I agree, at the end of the day the market will speak for itself. Those releases from UM are targeted towards a very specific crowd. If they’re willing to pay for it then why would UM stop? It’s just the unfortunate reality of these limited/special releases.

Anyone with a brain knows UM will more than likely release that same IEM in a much less premium offering at a way lower price. They did it with the Mason Fabled Sound and FuSang.

Let’s not forget 64 audio dropped the $3,599 Fourte in 2017(?) and VE Erlkonig was a 2017(?) IEM priced even higher. I just think more people are willing to pay those prices now and the manufacturers know it.

To add to that JH Audio did slash the Layla by 30% or so.

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #37,823 of 39,414
I'm half tempted by the FE but it's somewhat off-putting when you go onto the website and see fs/fusang with massive proce drops so soon after launch. Feels like buying a new car next to one that's got 1k dealer miles.

At this rate, give it a few months and we'll see a green version for 8k and red will be dropped to 5k.

FS was 8.5k, now 5.5k...and that's new. You'd expect an 8.5k IEM to go for 5.5k used. That drop absolutely screws initial buyers wanting to move them on. Not my cup of tea for a business model to keep customers tbh.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #37,824 of 39,414

UM should put a disclaimer in the pricing of their TOTL iems. The disclaimer should read, " This iem is for the select few who have a salary of $200k or higher or became successful from stock market. If you don't meet these requirements we have other options in our price range." Lol. Again there alot of people who became millionaires. Those are the customers um is targeting. For the rest us you nust wait for second hand market. $8k is peanuts to alot of people and hench why there is a market for it. I wouldn't be surprised to see $10-$15k iems next year. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #37,825 of 39,414

The Erlkonig came out about a year-and-a-half after the Fourté; the latter came out in early 2017, while the latter launched in late 2018. But, yeah, this is definitely a case of a brand pushing the envelope to see when it bursts. I was one of those concerned that these efforts would eventually encourage others to follow suit. But, considering the acclaim the Trailli received and how little it budged everyone else's prices, I think we'll be alright for the time being. As you said, there are plenty of gems to find for far less.

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #37,826 of 39,414
The Erlkonig came out about a year-and-a-half after the Fourté; the latter came out in early 2017, while the latter launched in late 2018. But, yeah, this is definitely a case of a brand pushing the envelope to see when it bursts. I was one of those concerned that these efforts would eventually encourage others to follow suit. But, considering the acclaim the Trailli received and how little it budged everyone else's prices, I think we'll be alright for the time being. As you said, there are plenty of gems to find for far less.
Being redundant here because I have said this before, there are dogs and unicorns in every price bracket.

Price clearly has only a little to do with what we hear and what we find worth the money is subjective and tied to our priorities and our means.

The market is in a state of inflation not just for audio, for everything, supply chain and labor issues has put pressures on manufacturing no doubt, still that has created an opportunity “excuse” for raising prices. Couple this with continued interest by consumers at these higher prices and it is kind of a perfect storm for rising prices.

This question always comes up in this kind of market, is it sustainable and will the bubble burst?

For right now I am fine with watching this from the side lines and I do not need another Mason or Mest no matter what color it is.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #37,827 of 39,414
For right now I am fine with watching this from the side lines and I do not need another Mason or Mest no matter what color it is.
Amen.

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #37,828 of 39,414

Traillii has done this right. We don't have Traillii FS, BS, PoS, etc to wonder about :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'll be selective and watch... for now... :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #37,830 of 39,414
There’s only 2 IEMs I’m curious about rite now and they both have bunny ears. I’ll have both of them together soon.

Let me know what you think about the Kr5 assuming that is one of them that you get. I’m flat out obsessed with the XE6 because it’s probably the most dynamic sounding IEM I have ever heard. The sense of liveliness this brings to music is ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back