flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 9, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #34,938 of 39,414
are you a drug dealer or sth ? i mean how can you afford those toys at that age ?

if you have some rich uncle , well kudos i wish i were in your shoes/ears :)
Nope, no drug dealings or rich uncles unfortunately lol. In fact I come from a family without much money. Parents were immigrants and just worked very hard to keep food on the table and give us a decent upbringing.

I am just careful with my money. I have a specific account that I call my “hobby account” and I transfer a small percentage of my pay into it every week, which I have been doing since I was 14 when I got my first part time job. I only use money from that account to buy audio gear :)

Aug 9, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #34,939 of 39,414
Nope, no drug dealings or rich uncles unfortunately lol. In fact I come from a family without much money. Parents were immigrants and just worked very hard to keep food on the table and give us a decent upbringing.

I am just careful with my money. I have a specific account that I call my “hobby account” and I transfer a small percentage of my pay into it every week, which I have been doing since I was 14 when I got my first part time job. I only use money from that account to buy audio gear :)
Very similar to my story. Except my parents were not immigrants. Very poor but full of love.
I also put away a bit from every paycheck and have been flipping vinyl records for about 20+ years.

Aug 9, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #34,940 of 39,414
Retired Boomer spending my kids inheritance. lol

Aug 9, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #34,941 of 39,414
A lot of my IEM hobby spending over the last number of months has been due to a massive cut back on buying CDs and vinyl but also as I'm working from home since March 2020, using money I would have spent on commuting to work and associated overheads such as lunch, coffee etc... probably gone somewhat over that now though, but a good excuse for a while! I allow myself a budget each month depending on other considerations and during a rather challenging last year or so for various reasons, this has been a fantastic distraction - I don't intend to stop!

Aug 9, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #34,942 of 39,414

Given what you are buying, that weekly pay is either really huge or you are putting 400-500% into your account every week.

Aug 9, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #34,943 of 39,414
Retired Boomer spending my kids inheritance. lol
Haha. I am done with house. Done with private school. Done with paying for college education. When those payments stop, all of a sudden, there is money for other stuff.

Aug 9, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #34,944 of 39,414
Given what you are buying, that weekly pay is really huge

fixed that for you / mystery solved

now i am gonna repeat to convince myself 'you are fine with your NT6/Zeus XR/WM1A combo'

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #34,945 of 39,414
I concur. With less bass and more forward upper midrange, it helps the Bird to have better vocals too.
Is the forward upper mid range on the Bird similar to the upper mids that are on the Odin? Although I overall loved the Odin I was not able to deal with it’s upper mids and I sadly had to sell them. I guess I’m just trying to gauge if the Bird is similar or whether it’s a smoother experience.

Aug 9, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #34,947 of 39,414
Is the forward upper mid range on the Bird similar to the upper mids that are on the Odin? Although I overall loved the Odin I was not able to deal with it’s upper mids and I sadly had to sell them. I guess I’m just trying to gauge if the Bird is similar or whether it’s a smoother experience.
The Traillii has reduced upper midrange emphasis. There is better control. Cheers.

Aug 9, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #34,948 of 39,414
Started my career at 19 and retire at 44 with a full pension of about $10k a month. It allows for a nice car, nice home and semi reckless spending in exchange for tomorrow never being promised. But hey, it’s not promised anyways so rock on.
that's awesome. You could have 2 or 3 careers. I've had 2 careers, wish I could go for a third. If I could live to 120 years old. I'd do it. I'd be a trial lawyer just suing big companies for screwing over consumers.

Aug 9, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #34,950 of 39,414
Pot kettle black :p

Operation tomorrow at mid day, so I’m going to be out of it for a few days. Try not to cause too much mayhem.
Best of luck, hope it goes well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back