flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 20, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #31,922 of 39,419
Come on lads, new page (2129), new leaf...ok?

May 20, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #31,924 of 39,419
IMG-20210520-162127.jpg

IMG-20210520-181213.jpg
IMG-20210520-181236.jpg
Got to try at the store today. Man, Isabel was awesome! :) It wasn't hard to drive, but it scaled well with stronger amps. I tried it with my phone, PEE51, SP2000, and DX300. And it improved consequentially. DX300 medium gain at 40 was my personal favorite.
First, some basics:
- It has a giant 9.8mm dynamic driver handling all frequency
- 4.4mm plug, with cable resembling the ALO Smoky Litz of Campfire
- A frequency range of 10Hz up to 40kHz
- Described as equipped with a custom inertial dynamic driver unit with CCAW (?) voice coil, and some weird magnetic stuff
- 30 ohm impedance
- 13 gram per side
Fit felt very comfortable, you can see how snug it is on her
ear
Screenshot-from-2021-05-20-22-54-38.png

Onto the sound. This has got to be the best single DD application I've heard. From the bass to treble. The careful minute attention to detail to the sound tuning is just incredible. The Old Man did it again.
The bass sounded full, complete without sacrifice throughout the range (sub, mid, upper). And the size was huge too, with plenty of meat/body or density contained inside. It arched with quantity something like 4.5/5 for sub, 5/5 for mid, 4/5 for upper bass. An elegant balance.
Speaking of elegance, vocals sounded very realistic and clear. Mids were really beautiful, with slight tendency to the brighter side in tone, albeit having enough warmth and weight in the lower mids. Not submerged/drowned by the bass. The Isa I think has a somewhat w-shaped sound overall. But with the bass and treble slightly more elevated than the mids. It didn't sound v-shaped to my ears. Very coherent due to it being a 1 driver, and highly resolving. A18t level stuff resolution. Coming from a single DD. So yeah, amazeballs. That said, it doesn't have a large soundstage, more medium sized. More deep than wide. And with weaker source like my phone, I could hear some ch, ts sound being slightly too much. Possibly due to lift in its lower treble area. But with a higher powered output, it's no longer the case. Especially with a warmer source.

Regardless of price the Isa is right up there in my estimation. And for less than $700 too, that's just bonkers

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #31,925 of 39,419
Such a reasonable price...I suspect this or Senny's new one will be my next IEM.
I tried the IE900 too at the store.
It has a good punchy bass. But the mids felt off, and the treble a bit spiky.

May 20, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #31,926 of 39,419
IMG-20210520-162127.jpg

IMG-20210520-181213.jpg
IMG-20210520-181236.jpg
Got to try at the store today. Man, Isabel was awesome! :) It wasn't hard to drive, but it scaled well with stronger amps. I tried it with my phone, PEE51, SP2000, and DX300. And it improved consequently. DX300 medium gain at 40 was my personal favorite.
First, some basics:
- Described as equipped with a custom inertial dynamic driver unit with CCAW (?) voice coil, and some weird magnetic stuff
- 30 ohm impedance
- 13 gram per side
Fit felt very comfortable to my ears, you can see how snug it is on her
ear

Onto the sound. This has got to be the best single DD application I've heard. From the bass to treble. The careful minute attention to detail to the sound tuning is just incredible. Regardless of price, the Isa is high up there in my estimation. The Old Man did it again.
The bass sounded full, complete without sacrifice throughout the range (sub, mid, upper). And the size was huge too, with plenty of meat/body or density contained inside. It arched with quantity something like 4.5/5 for sub, 5/5 for mid, 4/5 for upper bass. An elegant balance.
Speaking of elegance, vocals sounded very realistic and clear. Mids were really beautiful, with slight tendency to the brighter side in tone, albeit having enough warmth and weight in the lower mids. Not submerged/drowned by the bass. The Isa I think has a somewhat w-shaped sound overall. But with the bass and treble slightly more elevated than the mids. It didn't sound v-shaped to my ears. Very coherent due to it being a 1 driver, and highly resolving. A18t level stuff resolution. Coming from a single DD. So yeah, amazeballs. That said, it doesn't have a large soundstage, more medium sized. More deep than wide. And with weaker source like my phone, I could hear some ch, ts sound being slightly too much. Possibly due to lift in its lower treble area. But with a higher powered output, it's no longer the case. Especially with a warmer source.

Regardless of price the Isa is right up there in my estimation. And for less than $700 too, that's just bonkers

From a tonal standpoint, how does it compare to the Traillii?

May 20, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #31,927 of 39,419
IMG-20210520-162127.jpg

IMG-20210520-181213.jpg
IMG-20210520-181236.jpg
Got to try at the store today. Man, Isabel was awesome! :) It wasn't hard to drive, but it scaled well with stronger amps. I tried it with my phone, PEE51, SP2000, and DX300. And it improved consequently. DX300 medium gain at 40 was my personal favorite.
First, some basics:
- 30 ohm impedance
- 13 gram per side
ear

Onto the sound. This has got to be the best single DD application I've heard. From the bass to treble. The careful minute attention to detail to the sound tuning is just incredible. Regardless of price, the Isa is high up there in my estimation. The Old Man did it again.

Dear heavens that sounds enticing. Been thinking about the possibility of a single DD. Nothing in the market talked to me until the IE 900 announcement. And that was sorely tempting. But now this thing appears. And the OCD appeal of an every-day Oriolus to partner the dedicated listening Traillii...

May 20, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #31,928 of 39,419
IMG-20210520-162127.jpg

IMG-20210520-181213.jpg
IMG-20210520-181236.jpg
First, some basics:
- 30 ohm impedance
- 13 gram per side
ear

Damn...I think you just sold me on this.

May 20, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #31,929 of 39,419
May 20, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #31,930 of 39,419
From a tonal standpoint, how does it compare to the Traillii?
Really interesting to know too! Be a good to get a taste of the bird sound (obv not going to be anywhere near the rest of the Bird qualities).

May 20, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #31,931 of 39,419
@ranfan I don't suppose you got to spend enough time with it to get a feel for whether it may be fatiguing? The one thing I always worry about is pressure in my ears (which is why I used 64A with Apex for so long) and the thought of a big DD, and without a visible port of any sort, scares me.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #31,932 of 39,419
Wouldn't turn down a DD bird! Sounds just up my street :D

May 20, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #31,933 of 39,419
Wouldn't turn down a DD bird! Sounds just up my street :D
C9 + Isabellae has been immensely popular in Chinese C9 user group.

1DD scales up BIG with power.
7ABE4450-AC96-497C-A295-52B7E1DC20A7.jpeg

May 20, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #31,935 of 39,419
C9 + Isabellae has been immensely popular in Chinese C9 user group.

1DD scales up BIG with power.

Thanks for the tease! :wink:

I've no doubt it scales. The 3DT + M8 + C9 is an absolutely incredible combination to my ears. So much rich body to the mid & low end, and then from my phone + BTR3K...so meh.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back