flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 20, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #30,376 of 39,414
And discovering new music along the way, while rediscovering your library with a different presentation.

We are so lucky to be living now.

Remember when all we had that was portable was AM radio, I was only a kid then, single speaker, lots of static, especially when tuning for the AM channel that had something to hear. Where I grew up that was only country music sports and news.
Looked through old things I had and found this one it is AM/FM but otherwise similar to the one I had as a child. Sears model 667 3AAA cells, made in Hong Kong. ECA0046E-8EEE-47AC-A54D-AAE9E443EADE.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #30,377 of 39,414
I was happy as a pig in....but it wasnt until i started joining audition tours where i was like oh, i actually think i like this more than what i original was looking for or settled on.
For the mid tier it's easy to be wowed by everything and go on a tangent having a million pairs due to the volume of releases in that area.

For ToTL's it's also similar, but with a lot less volume to tempt you. Still the rule of thumb should be to demo as much as you can to determine what your preferences are BEFORE committing to anything.

Apr 20, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #30,378 of 39,414
Looked through old things I had and found this one it is AM/FM but otherwise similar to the one I had as a child. Sears model 667 3AAA cells, made in Hong Kong.ECA0046E-8EEE-47AC-A54D-AAE9E443EADE.jpeg
This is the 'endpoint' I hinted at above. Once you're near the top of the ladder there's just not much stuff that can compete let alone displace one of your IEMs. For me it happened when I hit flagship level with Fourte and LX (and found them so complementary for my music library). For others it might happen lower down the totem pole, but then it's just semantics anyway and more about the sound that gets you going. Nowadays I ask myself: will this IEM replace the LX? The Fourte? Both? Work as a threesome? So far, all I've seen or tried has not. There's possibly one or two that might, and I keenly await to try them. But if the market fell apart today and I was left with my two, I'll gladly live happily ever after.
Good info. Thank you.

Well said, and true in my case, I know the Thummim gets mixed reviews, as do all the summit IEMs (well, except for the Bird), but too my ears, my top three, the Thummim, LX, and Eden have all the bases covered. I may seek to improve, but

My favorite from the mid-60s was FM/AM, shortwave radio, I remember crawling under my blanket, and listening to the BBC late into the night in Gainesville Florida. I was telling my Wife about one of my favorite quotes from my Dad, after hearing the Beatles, “She Loves You Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, ” he told my brother I, “yeah, yeah, yeah? They'll never last!”

Apr 20, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #30,379 of 39,414
Well said, and true in my case, I know the Thummim gets mixed reviews, as do all the summit IEMs (well, except for the Bird), but too my ears, my top three, the Thummim, LX, and Eden have all the bases covered. I may seek to improve, but

My favorite from the mid-60s was FM/AM, shortwave radio, I remember crawling under my blanket, and listening to the BBC late into the night in Gainesville Florida. I was telling my Wife about one of my favorite quotes from my Dad, after hearing the Beatles, “She Loves You Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, ” he told my brother I, “yeah, yeah, yeah? They'll never last!”
Love to see a picture of your Eden, there are so many options. Who did you buy it from? 5BA right? What place does the Eden play in your trio, how often do you listen to it? Sorry so many questions just curious, have not seen any comments about it past Six months.

Apr 20, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #30,380 of 39,414
My Dad had some classic quotes;
We were driving and I had the radio tuned to a FM rock channel WYSP and Zeppelin The Song Remains The Same came on, he said “sounds like your stuck between stations”.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #30,381 of 39,414
Love to see a picture of your Eden, there are so many options. Who did you buy it from? 5BA right? What place does the Eden play in your trio, how often do you listen to it? Sorry so many questions just curious, have not seen any comments about it past Six months.

I'll shoot some pictures tomorrow, in daylight, they are beautiful sold silver bodies, though it's a singe 10mm DD, so highly coherent, adequate bass, and sweet treble (it reminds me of the Elysium).

Apr 20, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #30,382 of 39,414
My Dad had some classic quotes;
We were driving and I had the radio tuned to a FM rock channel WYSP and Zeppelin The Song Remains The Same came on, he said “sounds like your stuck between stations”.

Another I remember well was my buddy Peter’s Dad who came in while we were listening to “Whole Lotta Love, ” and told us that hard rock was dying, Pete I looked at each other and said naaahhhh in unison.

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #30,383 of 39,414

Ahh yes... the mid 60’s... 20 years before I was born. Fast forward to the mid 80’s... I was too young to have audio gear. So let’s go ahead and push through to the mid to late 90’s. I remember all sorts of cool audio gear available to me, thanks to you all for making the market investable and driving innovation. You did all of that for me and the only thanks you got is me terrorizing you about EE products. 😛

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #30,384 of 39,414
Ahh yes... the mid 60’s... 20 years before I was born. Fast forward to the mid 80’s... I was too young to have audio gear. So let’s go ahead and push through to the mid to late 90’s. I remember all sorts of cool audio gear available to me, thanks to you all for making the market investable and driving innovation. You did all of that for me and the only thanks you got is me terrorizing you about EE products. 😛

Given your duty status, I'll take EE😂 terrorizing, over professional!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #30,386 of 39,414
Lmao, I plead the fifth.

if you like TV series , you need to watch this one (by the mastermind behind the greatest TV series of last 20 years , The Wire)

Homicide : Life On The Street

Apr 21, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #30,387 of 39,414
if you like TV series , you need to watch this one (by the mastermind behind the greatest TV series of last 20 years , The Wire)

And I always thought the best series ever was LEXX?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #30,388 of 39,414

I try to detach from my work when I’m home. Especially after running on a case for sometimes inhumane amounts of time with no sleep.

But... I’ll check and see what it’s about. Only because it’s you.

Apr 21, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #30,389 of 39,414
I try to detach from my work when I’m home. Especially after running on a case for sometimes inhumane amounts of time with no sleep.

But... I’ll check and see what it’s about. Only because it’s you.

it's more shakesperean than procedural 'we have a murder let's find who did it' (these shows bore me t death)

think GlennGarry Glenn Ross (great film) but taking place in a police district

great cast , great lines , very mature and funny writeup

Apr 21, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #30,390 of 39,414

The Wire is excellent! Breaking Bad and The Sopranos are right up there with it. Since this will be its final season, Better Call Saul will be up there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back