flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 21, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #30,391 of 39,414
The Wire is excellent! Breaking Bad and The Sopranos are right up there with it. Since this will be its final season, Better Call Saul will be up there as well.
Probably my top four series right there...! :beerchug:

Apr 21, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #30,392 of 39,414
The Wire is excellent! Breaking Bad and The Sopranos are right up there with it. Since this will be its final season, Better Call Saul will be up there as well.

i have seen all shows in bold , imo you need to watch this one too then , The Shield

also this one , which is the best thing to come out last 3 years

Succession (HBO)

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #30,393 of 39,414
i have seen all shows in bold , imo you need to watch this one too then , The Shield

Succession (HBO)
+1 for Succession, although my hatred for that family had me take an indefinite break from finishing it 😂

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #30,394 of 39,414
+1 for Succession, although my hatred for that family had me take an indefinite break from finishing it 😂
I watched the first 2 eps. of Succession as they aired, and then just stopped. My gf asked me why, I said, "for me to enjoy a show, I tend to need a character I am rooting for, or even just care about. None of these scumbags fit that requirement for me, so I lost interest." hahahaha

However, for whatever reason, I binged all of Season 1 right before Season 2 started, and it all just clicked for me. I actually find it to be a brilliant show.

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #30,395 of 39,414

Succession (HBO)
The Shield and The Wire, they’re both really gritty and great!

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #30,396 of 39,414
I watched the first 2 eps. of Succession as they aired, and then just stopped. My gf asked me why, I said, "for me to enjoy a show, I tend to need a character I am rooting for, or even just care about. None of these scumbags fit that requirement for me, so I lost interest." hahahaha

However, for whatever reason, I binged all of Season 1 right before Season 2 started, and it all just clicked for me. I actually find it to be a brilliant show.
LOL. My girlfriend stopped watching for that exact reason, exactly 2 episodes in. She's way too selfless to find any pleasure in watching those characters. I am all about character development so I'll definitely get back into it.

Apr 22, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #30,397 of 39,414
LOL. My girlfriend stopped watching for that exact reason, exactly 2 episodes in. She's way too selfless to find any pleasure in watching those characters. I am all about character development so I'll definitely get back into it.

this last comment and i stop - show takes 4-5 eps to set the plot/characters etc , so be patient - after that it just goes mega nova

like i said , best thing to come out last 3 years (i have some more great shows if anyone is interested , although nothing is an enjoyable as Succession)

Apr 22, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #30,398 of 39,414
Just out of curiosity, who inserts their IEMs like this:

I do pull my ears when inserting but I don't open my mouth when doing that. Now to think of it, opening your mouth actually makes a lot of sense, I'll start doing that :)

I often see people just shove them in their ears which I think can really mess up the eartips' shape during the insertion process.

Apr 22, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #30,399 of 39,414
I have found that lifting the ear can help with a deeper insert but that can make it a little painful after a while. My ears are not fans of the tips going very far in the canal. But I do the twist, which really helps form a solid, yet relatively shallow seal.

Apr 22, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #30,400 of 39,414
Just out of curiosity, who inserts their IEMs like this:

I do pull my ears when inserting but I don't open my mouth when doing that. Now to think of it, opening your mouth actually makes a lot of sense, I'll start doing that :)

I often see people just shove them in their ears which I think can really mess up the eartips' shape during the insertion process.

I almost always open my mouth when I'm inserting my IEMs, though it's been harder to do recently; wearing a mask and all. It's not 100% necessary for most of my IEMs. But, for larger or shallow-insert customs like the Jolene, I have to do so for the best-possible fit.

Apr 22, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #30,402 of 39,414
But I do the twist, which really helps form a solid, yet relatively shallow seal.

Just re-read my comment. I do the whole "put the IEM in at an angle and then twist to the correct position" like a corkscrew.

It's not this....(only when the IEM is already in and the music calls for it)

giphy.gif

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #30,403 of 39,414
Astell&Kern just announced a new DAP with the now-popular DAC/amp-swapping feature. It looks gorgeously-sleek as always, and it looks like it may use a hot-swap system for the switching as well, rather than screws. It looks like you'll only need to press the button near the top to get the module loose, which - if implemented well and won't weaken over time - is a much more convenient system than the ones we've seen so far. It's also awesome to see that they're continuing to offer the 4.4mm balanced output with their newer releases. It's only a matter a time until they get a flagship out with it, so the 4.4mm supremacy may finally reign. :imp:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pre-order-astell-kern-a-futura-se180-music-player.957388/

1619102289031.png

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #30,404 of 39,414
Hi guys,

Rise up this mornin'
Smiled with the risin' sun
Two little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true
Saying', (this is my message to you)

Singing' don't worry 'bout a thing
'Cause every little thing gonna be alright

6A949ECF-CC6A-40F7-896F-C6D8A11DFC36.jpeg

Finally could receive my precious!!
Felt like a kid during Christmas! 🥳

I‘m quite happy with the custom design. It looks pretty nice. Let me know what you think. :)

I managed to test them on the way to work and at work. As expected, the cable is very bad for on the go use case (sorry for rehashing the cable thing, but after my real use case scenario it’s definitely a problem for me) . The shirt clip doesn’t help and the chin slider is useless since it slides back down every 10 seconds. Also while turning the head, the cables from each earpieces rub against each others inside the chin slider which is very annoying. In the end I have to raise the sound as high or even higher than my open back i4 to compensate for rubbing microphonics and stumps from footsteps. I’ll try with my Billow cable to see if it improves on that.
For stationary use though, it’s fine.
So if you plan on using those on the go or while moving at home, it might be a good idea to try another cable. If you plan on staying put, just sit back and enjoy! :ksc75smile:

Now for the SQ, no surprises either since I demoed them so many times during the last 2 months. Just amazing!

Today I tested on -After Hours- from -The Weeknd- and the bass, sense of scale, placement and detail retrieval is nuts on this song!

I‘ll try to share better pictures when I have time (probably during May holidays), as well as some sound comparisons against i4 when Traillii is burned in. I’ll also try to throw in some pictures and sound comparison with Billow cable.

Cheers,

Julien

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #30,405 of 39,414
Hi guys,

Rise up this mornin'
Smiled with the risin' sun
Two little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true
Saying', (this is my message to you)

Singing' don't worry 'bout a thing
'Cause every little thing gonna be alright

6A949ECF-CC6A-40F7-896F-C6D8A11DFC36.jpeg

Finally could receive my precious!!
Felt like a kid during Christmas! 🥳

I‘m quite happy with the custom design. It looks pretty nice. Let me know what you think. :)

I managed to test them on the way to work and at work. As expected, the cable is very bad for on the go use case (sorry for rehashing the cable thing, but after my real use case scenario it’s definitely a problem for me) . The shirt clip doesn’t help and the chin slider is useless since it slides back down every 10 seconds. Also while turning the head, the cables from each earpieces rub against each others inside the chin slider which is very annoying. In the end I have to raise the sound as high or even higher than my open back i4 to compensate for rubbing microphonics and stumps from footsteps. I’ll try with my Billow cable to see if it improves on that.
For stationary use though, it’s fine.
So if you plan on using those on the go or while moving at home, it might be a good idea to try another cable. If you plan on staying put, just sit back and enjoy! :ksc75smile:

Now for the SQ, no surprises either since I demoed them so many times during the last 2 months. Just amazing!

Today I tested on -After Hours- from -The Weeknd- and the bass, sense of scale, placement and detail retrieval is nuts on this song!

I‘ll try to share better pictures when I have time (probably during May holidays), as well as some sound comparisons against i4 when Traillii is burned in. I’ll also try to throw in some pictures and sound comparison with Billow cable.

Cheers,

Julien
Nice! It's wonderful to see brighter, more azure-ish blues on in-ear faceplates. A vast majority of the ones I've seen tend to straddle sapphire or cobalt, so it's great to see a bit more vibrancy enter the building. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back