flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 19, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #30,346 of 39,414
This is a strange one. For some it's one of the widest . For others is narrow. I think soundstage width s overrated. At least for what I listen to. I prefer more depth and height to be honest. I guess I'll be able to hear my self soon enough.
the difference is simply what else has been heard that you can reference to draw your comparisons.

if you've heard lots of TOTL iems, I'd guess that it's more likely you'll find the ely staging relatively small.

however, if ely is the first TOTL iem you've heard, you'll probably be blown away by its staging...again, I do think it's a great iem!

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #30,347 of 39,414
And it is still just as silly to me.

I once saw an engagement ring through a window in Hong Kong that had a price tag converted to US Dollars of $18,000,000.00.
That’s not too crazy compared to the real estate there. I once saw a 3000 sqft apartment there listed for 300 million HKD, roughly 40M USD.

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #30,348 of 39,414
I know this has been posted before but still...
I forgot about that nervous sweating. I'm going to pretend I go blind every time Blue Dragon is mentioned, otherwise I'll be in more trouble with the missus
To be fair, if there wasn’t the $1k discount earlier, I would never have gotten bird. So I get it man lol. But being able to hear most summits for reference points, I knew it was “worth” it for me.

Anyways-no more hijacking the thread again :).
It's been weird since I got the Odin. I'm still interested in hearing other stuff, but there isn't really this "I can sell this and that and top off a bit to try x". mentality for me anymore when I do see something on my bucket list. Is this the rumoured audio satisfaction?

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #30,349 of 39,414
That’s not too crazy compared to the real estate there. I once saw a 3000 sqft apartment there listed for 300 million HKD, roughly 40M USD.
Everything in portafi suddenly becomes reasonable when you factor in the cost of living in HK. When the average sqft is essentially a coffin with a mattress, people are gonna spend on audio rather than save for property. Affording property for me here in Canada is already impossible unless I have a couple of rich uncles suddenly show up, never mind HK,

My uncle is more or less in early retirement here just from leasing a couple flats he bought back when prices were relatively lower in HK.

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #30,350 of 39,414
It's been weird since I got the Odin. I'm still interested in hearing other stuff, but there isn't really this "I can sell this and that and top off a bit to try x". mentality for me anymore when I do see something on my bucket list. Is this the rumoured audio satisfaction?
I’m in the same situation. I found satisfaction I didn’t think would be worth the effort to try and match or best with my LX and Odin. Realistically though, even the Odin will be eclipsed by something introduced by none other than EE some day, so.. I guess I’ll just keep experiencing what’s out there. It constantly gives me something to look forward to and other ways to enjoy/appreciate music through different interpretations.

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #30,351 of 39,414
I’m in the same situation. I found satisfaction I didn’t think would be worth the effort to try and match or best with my LX and Odin. Realistically though, even the Odin will be eclipsed by something introduced by none other than EE some day, so.. I guess I’ll just keep experiencing what’s out there. It constantly gives me something to look forward to and other ways to enjoy/appreciate music through different interpretations.
And discovering new music along the way, while rediscovering your library with a different presentation.

We are so lucky to be living now.

Remember when all we had that was portable was AM radio, I was only a kid then, single speaker, lots of static, especially when tuning for the AM channel that had something to hear. Where I grew up that was only country music sports and news.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #30,352 of 39,414
the difference is simply what else has been heard that you can reference to draw your comparisons.

if you've heard lots of TOTL iems, I'd guess that it's more likely you'll find the ely staging relatively small.

however, if ely is the first TOTL iem you've heard, you'll probably be blown away by its staging...again, I do think it's a great iem!
I haven't heard any. My reference for a wide stage is the OG Mest. I find it quite wide.

Apr 19, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #30,353 of 39,414
Apr 19, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #30,354 of 39,414
And discovering new music along the way, while rediscovering your library with a different presentation.

We are so lucky to be living now.

Remember when all we had that was portable was AM radio, I was only a kid then, single speaker, lots of static, especially when tuning for the AM channel that had something to hear. Where I grew up that was only country music sports and news.
This! We are so damn lucky to have the technology and options for listening to music these days. Super grateful for what’s available to us.

My childhood was recording songs off the radio onto a cassette to play on my Walkman, trying my best to get the perfect cut before the radio announcer spoke or an advert started :D

Comparing that to what we have now, it’s just incredible.

Apr 19, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #30,355 of 39,414
So as you know, I have the Odin and enjoy them. The upper mid peak some mention aren't perceived the same to me for whatever reason.

I have Fourte Noir's on the way to demo. I have never had interest in the OG Fourte... honestly, it's been mostly because of the look of it and polarizing reviews. As someone who has heard the Odin, Fourte and Noir.. which one do you find strikes the balance you enjoy most? Then can you compare that versus the Traillii removing price as a component and just detailing sound?

I ask for all of this because I have an opportunity to get the Traillii before the price hike. Anyone else in the same "know how" please feel free to chime in.
If you can get the Traillii at the discounted $5K price, and you can afford it without difficulty ( these are still just IEM’s, no need to ever harm your financial well being over them) I would recommend getting it. If you do not care for it, or just feel it is not worth it, you should be able to get most of your money back. Especially as it is increasing in price.

I own and like the OG Fourte. It is a great IEM. Its timbre is simply no match for the Traillii. The Fourte can hit harder in the bass at times, but I usually find it too much when that occurs and the bass is slower. The Traillii’s bass is quicker and tighter. The Fourte’s midrange is more laid back than the Traillii and as for the treble, where I have found the treble getting harsh on the Fourte, I have found the Traillii to just stay under that. Now that will not always be true, but the edge definitely goes to the Traillii for me.

One thing about the Fourte, I find it terrific for showing the difference among different cables. I do not like to change cables often, but when I used to go to shows, I always found it my easiest IEM to change cables and then easily hear the differences among them.

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #30,356 of 39,414
This! We are so damn lucky to have the technology and options for listening to music these days. Super grateful for what’s available to us.

My childhood was recording songs off the radio onto a cassette to play on my Walkman, trying my best to get the perfect cut before the radio announcer spoke or an advert started :D

Comparing that to what we have now, it’s just incredible.
I remember doing that as a teenager with my cassette deck. 😁

Apr 20, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #30,357 of 39,414
Fourte and Traillii are the soundstage kings of the IEM world. I don't think I've read about or heard any other IEM that comes close to those two. And not just width but also depth and height. With the right track, Fourte will have you believing you're listening to full height room speakers, and Traillii excels at the 'out of head' sound projection with some music.
The ELYSIUM through a desktop amp has some of the best height I've ever heard. I'd agree with the sentiments raised that the ODIN's absolutely up there, but, as I said on my review, the upper-mids do step forward relative to the rest, which makes its depth a tad uneven. Even though I know only a handful of people have heard it at this point, the Jolene should definitely be up there spatially too. It competes with the absolute best I've heard, and it isn't only down to size. It's the accuracy of the imaging as well, which I've always praised JH and FreqPhase for.

There is "nice and expansive" and there is also "way too big" in terms of soundstage. I'm super cautious when people describe something as the best.
As far as staging goes I think size is great, but organization and accurate placing of instruments is more important. To me the Fourte for example has a very wide stage and holographic sound as well as top imaging but it’s instrument placing is a little off due to its tuning. I don’t think it’s necessarily a negative in this situation though as it all plays into part of the Fourte’s charm and purpose. The Noir in comparison thickens up the mid range and makes it sound a little less “wonky” but as a trade off it loses that “wow” factor too.
I agree with these points 1000%. I personally don't like it when a stage is massive or out-of-head, but you've got instruments popping out of place like you're playing a game of audio Whack-A-Mole. When instruments come in or out, they should feel like a cohesive part of the picture. As an engineer, I need that evenness as well, so I can tell when I'm mixing whether or not I've got an instrument positioned just right. It's why I personally prefer the A18s over the Fourté. As intimate as its stage can be, its evenness will immerse me into the track way easier and way deeper every time.

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #30,358 of 39,414
Happy 4/20 everyone :four_leaf_clover:
Enjoy your IEMs
Careful of the volume
Happy listening :)
IMG-20210420-160749.jpg

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #30,359 of 39,414
Happy 4/20 everyone :four_leaf_clover:
Enjoy your IEMs
Careful of the volume
Happy listening :)
IMG-20210420-160749.jpg
Ooo how’s the C/2019 Q4? They look great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back