flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 19, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #30,331 of 39,419
So as you know, I have the Odin and enjoy them. The upper mid peak some mention aren't perceived the same to me for whatever reason.

I have Fourte Noir's on the way to demo. I have never had interest in the OG Fourte... honestly, it's been mostly because of the look of it and polarizing reviews. As someone who has heard the Odin, Fourte and Noir.. which one do you find strikes the balance you enjoy most? Then can you compare that versus the Traillii removing price as a component and just detailing sound?

I ask for all of this because I have an opportunity to get the Traillii before the price hike. Anyone else in the same "know how" please feel free to come in.

I am actually considering revisiting the Odin. When I had them I was all about the erlkonig and it’s thick sound and the Odin isn’t like that so it wasn’t for me at all. I’m curious as to how I’ll perceive them now.

Man that is tough to decide because I can pick out something about each of those that I didn’t really care for. To be honest the upper mid focus on the Odin didn’t bug me too much, while I found it forward I never found it harsh or shrill. The Fourte has a lot of treble energy and I dislike the dip in the mid range so I don’t consider that really that balanced. The Noir is a more balanced and thicker sounding Fourte but still has that mid range dip also. So I guess the Odin was probably the most balanced one to me?

I honestly can’t give reliable detailed comparisons on the Odin and Traillii due to how quickly I sold the Odin. While I remember it’s general overall sound well I don’t think it would be fair on it to try compare it to the Traillii. Maybe @Damz87 can chime in here as he owns the Traillii, Odin, and Noir.

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #30,332 of 39,419
I am actually considering revisiting the Odin. When I had them I was all about the erlkonig and it’s thick sound and the Odin isn’t like that so it wasn’t for me at all. I’m curious as to how I’ll perceive them now.

Man that is tough to decide because I can pick out something about each of those that I didn’t really care for. To be honest the upper mid focus on the Odin didn’t bug me too much, while I found it forward I never found it harsh or shrill. The Fourte has a lot of treble energy and I dislike the dip in the mid range so I don’t consider that really that balanced. The Noir is a more balanced and thicker sounding Fourte but still has that mid range dip also. So I guess the Odin was probably the most balanced one to me?

I honestly can’t give reliable detailed comparisons on the Odin and Traillii due to how quickly I sold the Odin. While I remember it’s general overall sound well I don’t think it would be fair on it to try compare it to the Traillii. Maybe @Damz87 can chime in here as he owns the Traillii, Odin, and Noir.
Good info. Thank you.

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #30,333 of 39,419
So as you know, I have the Odin and enjoy them. The upper mid peak some mention aren't perceived the same to me for whatever reason.

I have Fourte Noir's on the way to demo. I have never had interest in the OG Fourte... honestly, it's been mostly because of the look of it and polarizing reviews. As someone who has heard the Odin, Fourte and Noir.. which one do you find strikes the balance you enjoy most? Then can you compare that versus the Traillii removing price as a component and just detailing sound?

I ask for all of this because I have an opportunity to get the Traillii before the price hike. Anyone else in the same "know how" please feel free to chime in.
Cannot comment on the bird, but regarding the Fourtes and Odin.. I think I like Fourte OG most. I need to spend more time with Noir but it’s very different from OG. Much more different than the FR would suggest. Noir is thicker, warmer, has bigger bass. OG has crazy detail and wide stage. I’m currently thinking of keeping these two and selling the Nio, as the Noir is kind of a ‘better Nio’. I love Nio though... But given that you like Odin as much as you do, you will find Noir has a completely different sound signature. Which you may appreciate, if you’re looking for something complementary. Or hate if it’s not the tuning you favor.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #30,334 of 39,419
Cannot comment on the bird, but regarding the Fourtes and Odin.. I think I like Fourte OG most. I need to spend more time with Noir but it’s very different from OG. Much more different than the FR would suggest. Noir is thicker, warmer, has bigger bass. OG has crazy detail and wide stage. I’m currently thinking of keeping these two and selling the Nio, as the Noir is kind of a ‘better Nio’. I love Nio though... But given that you like Odin as much as you do, you will find Noir has a completely different sound signature. Which you may appreciate, if you’re looking for something complementary. Or hate if it’s not the tuning you favor.

Looking forward to your impressions.
I did like the Nio, just not as much as my LX configuration. So based on that, I may really enjoy the Noir. Or I may think its inferior to the LX or too warm and not like it. I'll hopefully (UPS willing) have a new U18s to also compare to them all. Goal here is to obtain the best I feel 64 audio has to offer in a sound signature I don't have. If something smacks me in the face and I prefer it to Odin, I'll sell my Odin's to fund it. My custom LX though... not going anywhere, ever.

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #30,335 of 39,419
I did like the Nio, just not as much as my LX configuration. So based on that, I may really enjoy the Noir. Or I may think its inferior to the LX or too warm and not like it. I'll hopefully (UPS willing) have a new U18s to also compare to them all. Goal here is to obtain the best I feel 64 audio has to offer in a sound signature I don't have. If something smacks me in the face and I prefer it to Odin, I'll sell my Odin's to fund it. My custom LX though... not going anywhere, ever.

Heh. I can’t imagine you selling your Odin! Keep us posted on your thoughts with the new goodies you get to try. For what it’s worth you should email Andrew and ask for the Traillii demo. You can hear it virtually risk free, better than blind buying it even with his universal praise IMO

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #30,336 of 39,419

I ask for all of this because I have an opportunity to get the Traillii before the price hike. Anyone else in the same "know how" please feel free to chime in.
I think @bigbeans recently sold his Odin for the Traillii and doesn’t seem to regret it one bit.

I never heard the Fourte, but my two cents for Odin versus Noir versus Traillii:

-Noir is the more fun of the 3 IEMs with an excellent DD bass. I found the treble too hot for my tastes though. Fun oval shaped soundstage and excellent for EDM/high energy.
-You know I loved Odin and didn’t mind the upper mid range, but what I feel Traillii improves upon while still retaining the resolution beast clarity of Odin is the more holographic staging, especially on width and height (as Odin’s depth is excellent). Traillii also has more weight in the mids with a touch more warmth to make them “wet” versus Odin’s drier mids. Odin is more surgical in imaging. Odin has a tighter and more detailed subbass but Traillii in fact has more warmth and slam/impact in midbass. And I know you love Odin layering and Traillii does it just as good IMO despite slightly thicker mids. Note that Traillii mids are more laid-back, but this does work particularly well for metal which I recall is a main genre of yours. It has clear, crisp, natural attack and decay and transients.

-Noir would be a great compliment to bird.

So IMO, if you can snag it pre-hiked price, def give it a shot. It just does all genres well. Should sell easily worst case although i haven’t met anyone who’s disliked it flat out.

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #30,337 of 39,419
I think @bigbeans recently sold his Odin for the Traillii and doesn’t seem to regret it one bit.

I never heard the Fourte, but my two cents for Odin versus Noir versus Traillii:

-Noir is the more fun of the 3 IEMs with an excellent DD bass. I found the treble too hot for my tastes though. Fun oval shaped soundstage and excellent for EDM/high energy.
-You know I loved Odin and didn’t mind the upper mid range, but what I feel Traillii improves upon while still retaining the resolution beast clarity of Odin is the more holographic staging, especially on width and height (as Odin’s depth is excellent). Traillii also has more weight in the mids with a touch more warmth to make them “wet” versus Odin’s drier mids. Odin is more surgical in imaging. Odin has a tighter and more detailed subbass but Traillii in fact has more warmth and slam/impact in midbass. And I know you love Odin layering and Traillii does it just as good IMO despite slightly thicker mids. Note that Traillii mids are more laid-back, but this does work particularly well for metal which I recall is a main genre of yours. It has clear, crisp, natural attack and decay and transients.

-Noir would be a great compliment to bird.

So IMO, if you can snag it pre-hiked price, def give it a shot. It just does all genres well. Should sell easily worst case although i haven’t met anyone who’s disliked it flat out.
Edit: I tried to apply a clapping GIF but things aren't on my side right now.

I appreciate the in depth analysis.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #30,338 of 39,419
I'll wait till the $12K iems hit the streets, that should wear down my resistance to a $6K sufficiently by then.

I'll admit that I considered selling my Odin to fund Trailli to see what the madness hype was about. Then I realized I still had half the price tag to think about AND it was in USD too.

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #30,339 of 39,419
Heh. I can’t imagine you selling your Odin! Keep us posted on your thoughts with the new goodies you get to try. For what it’s worth you should email Andrew and ask for the Traillii demo. You can hear it virtually risk free, better than blind buying it even with his universal praise IMO
Hey me neither. I am not naive however to the fact that something may be out there I prefer more. I did reach out but I would imagine the demo unit wouldn't be in my hands until after the price hike. So meh, kinda stuck.

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #30,340 of 39,419
I'll wait till the $12K iems hit the streets, that should wear down my resistance to a $6K sufficiently by then.

I'll admit that I considered selling my Odin to fund Trailli to see what the madness hype was about. Then I realized I still had half the price tag to think about AND it was in USD too.
I know this has been posted before but still...
89530A9E-3648-4E95-BD97-96709B80A0AF.png

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #30,342 of 39,419
Hey me neither. I am not naive however to the fact that something may be out there I prefer more. I did reach out but I would imagine the demo unit wouldn't be in my hands until after the price hike. So meh, kinda stuck.
Tuff one than again if you take the plunge before the price hike, and do not like it, you may be able to sell it at the pre price hike price you paid.

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #30,343 of 39,419
I am curious how many of these have sold lol...
Two were told at the announcement event, and that’s all I know lol.

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #30,344 of 39,419

To be fair, if there wasn’t the $1k discount earlier, I would never have gotten bird. So I get it man lol. But being able to hear most summits for reference points, I knew it was “worth” it for me.

Anyways-no more hijacking the thread again :).

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #30,345 of 39,419
I know this has been posted before but still...89530A9E-3648-4E95-BD97-96709B80A0AF.png
And it is still just as silly to me.

I once saw an engagement ring through a window in Hong Kong that had a price tag converted to US Dollars of $18,000,000.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back