flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 6, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #28,576 of 39,414
can anyone else chime in here before I order the susvara + violectric 590.

thanks

Try to have a talk with some dealers. If you know them well, you can even get lower price. Street price for Susvara are now below $5k, some even reported they got it at $4.5k. I haven’t heard the V590 but from what I can tell you right now, the Susvara is definitely the best I’ve ever heard, even when it’s driven by my lowly Burson DAC + amp combo. Waiting for the Bakoon to arrive and hopefully it will only get better.

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #28,577 of 39,414
Not saying there isn't, just my sad tired eyes couldn't find any lol. Don't need venting for 4.9mm though, pretty small drivers like that can breathe fine inside those shells. :relaxed:
Oh yes for sure, I meant for the dual 9.2mm drivers. They must surely be vented somehow, otherwise eardrums will be damaged. Great review though! That wood look resin made me want to sell everything and buy a pair.

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #28,578 of 39,414
Except I don't think you need an SP2K to make the most of Trailli (or any IEM for that matter). There are a few great DAPs that cost <$2K that'll max it out, unlike Susvara (or HD800 or LCD4) that really do need the best of the best to sound their best. That's one of the plusses of switching from desktop to portable for me personally - the constant chase for bigger, better, cleaner desktop sources was neverending. Not so with mobile.

Exactly. My RME adi 2 quickly became “entry level” in the headphone game. Don’t need that noise. But maybe one day when I’m traveling between Canada /USA a lot less I’ll switch back to headphones and pick up the latest TOTL headphone.

And for those complaining about the price of Traillii, I hear you but.. if it’s selling at this price I think it says something. Hifi in the iem world is a game of inches, and these inches make or break an experience. They feel more like entire football fields... nothing can come close to the bird imo. There’s times that I’m listening and I feel as though a sound came from meters across in the room I’m in. It’s the first to break the “head stage” barrier for me. Andro 2020 flirted with the idea - the mocking bird flew right over that barrier with grace :)

And now that I’m back home I got a chance to throw my Lcdi4 back on. Played around with balanced and cipher... and naw I don’t think Lcdi4 beats the bird. Not to my ears at least... the soundstage on the bird >= Lcdi4 and all of the instruments feel much more spread apart.

Best part of this is that I’m using a cheap single (paw s1). W2 is on the way, I promise I’ll give a comparison once I get it. I also no longer need a dap, but I’m keeping my 1Z because it’s a piece of art. Gave my dad my elysium and m8 today, lol. He was pretty happy about that ^.^

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #28,579 of 39,414
it was the ”u r not even 30% close” comment that caught my attention.

that's worth chasing imo
I'd take that with a pinch of salt, but everyone has their own preferences. While I find it problematic to directly compare IEMs to headphones to speakers (because physically none can do what the others can), I do find the overall SQ of my IEMs superior to any headphone I've heard or owned. I haven't heard Susvara or Abyss, mind you, though my opinion of HFM will be left unsaid lest I want to start another fire here. I just think there should be a Chinese wall between headphones and IEMs; for me it's not an either or. You can have both and enjoy both for different reasons.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #28,580 of 39,414
If I read your review correctly and the Mest competes with it, that is not a good sign. Thanks for the review.

Difficult to say with any certainty as I was only powering the Ra21 with an N6ii/E02 so it might have been under driven (it does seem to scale well with higher end gear according to a few UK owners I know). For me, the MEST was similar enough to merit comparison, which is more to do with the fact I rate MEST very highly on a technical level.

Or to put it another way, Ra21 is definitely a TOTL-tier performer, but didn't blow me away with any particular aspects of its technical performance. As I think I mentioned, if you have the money to consider playing in that price bracket it is an interesting choice, but for me I definitely don't so I would probably stick with a "cheaper" flagship and spend the rest of the cash on upgrading my source. :wink:

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #28,581 of 39,414
Question of JH owners. What is JH house like, what do they go for their sound signature?
@KuroKitsu's description is pretty darn accurate. They tend to go for a warm, chesty sound with a treble tuned for minimum, yet pointed articulation. And, it’s typically finished with an incredibly precise, well-resolved stage. It looks like they’ve stepped it up even more on the Jolene with a bit more upper-treble air as well.

Sorry to hear that man....I’m pretty sure VE will take care of it. And that’s a valid concern on the durability.

Edit: I think IEM manufacturers should move to aluminium shells or some other type of lightweight metal/alloy for universals, similar to what FiR and 64 Audio are using. It definitely provides more durability than acrylic shells.
Yeah, I’d love more companies to take the FiR/64/Final/MMR route as well. The issue, I think, would be mass fabrication. Not everyone has the capital to invest in crafting metal shells. But, I nevertheless hope that this is the direction we go in in the future.

Ah, I wish, but unlike IEMs I'm not really into DAP rolling (or collecting). I find a good DAP that gives me the right synergy with my IEMs and stick with it. And by good DAP I mean one with all the speed and performance I want from a modern 'music computer' and the right technicalities and power to control the IEMs and then get out of the way to let them do what they do best. With all that said I should have my R8 'review' coming out soon.

Ditto. I switched to IEMs from headphones for the same reason - open headphones need 'me' space, and that's not easy in a busy household. And yeah, speakers are for movies. I don't have the time, funds or space to build a speaker system that comes close to the quality of my IEMs.

My one concern is @marcusd's review suggested it doesn't have bass vents. That could be a big problem I would think.

I wouldn't worry, it really depends on the IEM design. The Legend X doesn't suffer from tubes, for example. And tubes can be very useful for precision tuning, especially with customs. That's why we haven't seen a custom Fourte yet.

DAPs are also more than just sound. You have to consider ergonomics, available connections, UI, battery life, etc. It’s a much more complex purchase than IEMs or cables, and they’re a pain to review as well. :D

Tubeless designs, as you said, are just another way to tune IEMs. It has its sound and it has its pros-and-cons, but it isn’t a be-all-and-end-all. As always, I’d put a ton more stock into actual sound impressions than any assumptions based on specs. But, if one does make it an immediate prerequisite, then it only makes selecting IEMs much, much easier.

In the same vein, I’m fairly sure whether or not a DD requires a vent is entirely dependent on the diaphragm’s design. So, I wouldn’t put too much stock in that either. @marcusd praised its lack of bleed or fluff, so I’m pretty sure it won’t be an issue. I’ll let you know later. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #28,583 of 39,414
Yeah, I’d love more companies to take the FiR/64/Final/MMR route as well. The issue, I think, would be mass fabrication. Not everyone has the capital to invest in crafting metal shells. But, I nevertheless hope that this is the direction we go in in the future.

Totally agree. But I would think that VE should have the necessary resources and capital to do it :relaxed:

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #28,584 of 39,414
Oh yes for sure, I meant for the dual 9.2mm drivers. They must surely be vented somehow, otherwise eardrums will be damaged. Great review though! That wood look resin made me want to sell everything and buy a pair.
As far as I know, venting DDs are to allow the diaphragms to breathe better, rather than any benefit to the eardrum. It’s not like it’s an industrial air blower threatening an eardrum rupture. :p

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #28,585 of 39,414
Not saying there isn't, just my sad tired eyes couldn't find any lol. Don't need venting for 4.9mm though, pretty small drivers like that can breathe fine inside those shells. :relaxed:

But its a quad dd not just 2 x 4.9mm it also has the 2 x 9.2mm

So it has some big powerhouses of a DD underneath there! And they are all in a cylinder shape.

I don't know how its moving but it gotta be working as your review made me almost drop everything and run buy my self a pair 🤣😅 they seem superb!

Would you be kind and maybe share some thoughts how does it stand vs fourte og? Please

If I have a pair of og and looking at the Jolene is it as good as the fourte? To replace it?

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #28,586 of 39,414
But its a quad dd not just 2 x 4.9mm it also has the 2 x 9.2mm

So it has some big powerhouses of a DD underneath there! And they are all in a cylinder shape.

I don't know how its moving but it gotta be working as your review made me almost drop everything and run buy my self a pair 🤣😅 they seem superb!

Would you be kind and maybe share some thoughts how does it stand vs fourte og? Please

If I have a pair of og and looking at the Jolene is it as good as the fourte? To replace it?
I’ll be able to compare it against the Lola and the Noir when I get my hands on it. I might be able to borrow an OG Fourte to compare it against as well. I’ll let you know. :wink:

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #28,587 of 39,414

I fired an email to them a short while ago asking how exactly is the venting done for the dual 9.2mm, totally forgot during the review to ask, got distracted with shiny :relaxed:

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #28,588 of 39,414
I’ll be able to compare it against the Lola and the Noir when I get my hands on it. I might be able to borrow an OG Fourte to compare it against as well. I’ll let you know. :wink:

Ohh feww we are still friends 😅 I felt like I was in your black list in the ignore list since the 64a thread thingy lo lo

But yeaa I would love to read those impressions and comparisons!

Another question I ask my self how good is Jolene with edm music as that's my primary thing I listen for.

Thanks @Deezel177

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #28,589 of 39,414
Ohh feww we are still friends 😅 I felt like I was in your black list in the ignore list since the 64a thread thingy lo lo

But yeaa I would love to read those impressions and comparisons!

Another question I ask my self how good is Jolene with edm music as that's my primary thing I listen for.

Thanks @Deezel177
Dude, don’t worry about that! :D Every interaction I (and the vast majority of us on this thread) have is always in good faith and good fun. I remember arguing with @mvvRAZ about compressed music and whether or not it was the artist’s intention, to then talking and joking about upcoming IEMs on Facebook just hours later.

Unless it’s some really troubling, really personal stuff, I hope it’s very clear that threads like these are a safe space for us enthusiasts to just talk and share opinions. And, I hope just as much that it continues to be that way.

But, yeah, you can rest assured that those comparisons should be coming sooner, rather than later. :wink:

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #28,590 of 39,414
Dude, don’t worry about that! :D Every interaction I (and the vast majority of us on this thread) have is always in good faith and good fun. I remember arguing with @mvvRAZ about compressed music and whether or not it was the artist’s intention, to then talking and joking about upcoming IEMs on Facebook just hours later.

Unless it’s some really troubling, really personal stuff, I hope it’s very clear that threads like these are a safe space for us enthusiasts to just talk and share opinions. And, I hope just as much that it continues to be that way.

But, yeah, you can rest assured that those comparisons should be coming sooner, rather than later. :wink:

🤩😍
🐅🐾

Lets roll the reviews and drink the champagne! 🍾🥂
Its time to celebrate 😃🙂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back