flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 24, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #21,841 of 39,414
Do you think they could actually pull off a quarantine until June? I don’t see how the economy could handle that, both personal and business defaults are already starting, given an extra few weeks it’ll be a disaster, not to mention a few months

Mar 24, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #21,843 of 39,414
Do you think they could actually pull off a quarantine until June? I don’t see how the economy could handle that, both personal and business defaults are already starting, given an extra few weeks it’ll be a disaster, not to mention a few months
Depends on the industry for sure. I work for a large multinational insurance company and we have mandatory work from home in the US and Canada until at least 5/1. Over the last few years most of our organization has moved to 2 days per week work from home up to full-time telecommute based on job role and geography. We’re going to be able to function pretty close to normal during these mandatory stay home orders. Our agents, brokers and policyholders on the other hand... totally different ballgame. Restaurants/hospitality, Main Street retail, etc. are getting squeezed badly.

Edit:Conversely, some industries are experiencing significant growth right now due to the impact to our daily lives. For example grocery stores, truckers/delivery drivers and e-commerce. Walmart plans to hire 150K people and Amazon 100K to keep up with demand.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #21,844 of 39,414
I posted these initial impressions in the Luna by Dunu thread. I thought I would also share them here. Yes, my New Years resolution has been torn to threads. Shame on me. That was my first and last New Years Resolution. And I am an old SOB on top of that. And i thought a New Years resolution would tame my addiction. Shame on me twice :)

"Two days with Luna. Easily 16 hours with her in my ears and direct comparisons to all my other IEMs to make sure each one still has a place in my heart!

Now lets get away from my heart and back to Luna. The first thing that comes to mind for me is how "enveloping" the music is. I am transported into the best lush den possible. No opioids involved. The music is so spacious with these. Not like a super massive soundstage but everything is how it should be in space. And Dunu nailed the timbre. Piano sounds like it is being played right in front of you. Lips opening right in front of you before the singer sings sounds like lips right in front of you. That scared me a couple times. Especially Jason Molina. I love his music but I really don't want him that close to me.

I do not have an IEM that I use the stock cable with. The stock cable on the Luna will most likely be my only IEM that I stick with the stock cable. Ergonomics are fine and how the MMCX connects is tight. Non of that wiggly crap you get sometimes with aftermarket cables with MMCX.

I had a massive fear of single DD IEMs ever since I obsessed on Audeze LCD and ZMF HPs and ever since I had seal issues with other DD IEMs lately. Obsession is an understatement of how I got into Audeze and ZMF HPs and how can anything so small compare to those amazing big boys. Well I am massively pleasantly surprised. The Luna's have that high quality DD sound that to me is hard to get in a small apparatus once your ears have enjoyed really good HPs. They are "diminutive", fit super well, and isolate very well. They have the detail of excellent DD HPs. I can feel the air move. Also they have a fun factor that is similar to what I would get with Audeze Planar HPs (LCD 3s in particular). That is the biggest bonus of all. This woman is proper but also fun when warmed up. We all want relationships like that!!!!!!!!!!!"

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #21,845 of 39,414
Well, daily life routine has changed quite a bit (no need to explain I guess) over the past few weeks, as it also undoubtly has done for the most of you.

I was not a desktop listener before, but recently I invested in a Burson Swing DAC (incl. upgraded Vivid opamps) which I connected to a Teac HA-501 amp that I already had, but hardly used untill now.
20200323_172835.jpg

So, these days I started using my 2 fullsize headphones again, but of course my IEM collection also went in rotation for a synergy check :ksc75smile:
20200314_110655.jpg

Anyway (this is just a short post / sign of life), happy listening to all of you out there and stay safe!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #21,847 of 39,414
Yeah i feel terrible for people who can't work from home, etc. Like single mother waitresses, etc.

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #21,848 of 39,414
Yeah i feel terrible for people who can't work from home, etc. Like single mother waitresses, etc.
I agree, there’s simply too much at stake for way too many people in the economy that live paycheck to paycheck. Even with all the money the governments are releasing that won’t cover much more than a few weeks at absolute best

Personal prediction is that the quarantine will mostly be over by the end of April latest

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #21,849 of 39,414
Yeah that's the nice part of working from home. I've been listening to John Coltrane 24/192 all day on my LCD-2s
You know, I almost think that my Lola's sound better than the LCD-2's for some kinds of music. I was listening to Bach Violin music (just 44 Khz) yesterday on the Lola's and it was really amazing

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #21,850 of 39,414
People's finances are always exposed during a crisis. Do they have a 3-6 month emergency fund and no debt? If that is the case, they are doing fine even if they can't work for a few weeks. Others, save nothing and have so much debt they live paycheck to paycheck.

This is why I save up for audio equipment. Yes, I could get them on credit and afford the payment, but then that can come crashing during a crisis in which one can't work for any reason.

The world economy needs to get going soon for all those that are paycheck to paycheck. A one time $1000 will not help them much. I see that carrot as the government just trying to get bigger and say we can take care of you.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #21,853 of 39,414
People's finances are always exposed during a crisis. Do they have a 3-6 month emergency fund and no debt? If that is the case, they are doing fine even if they can't work for a few weeks. Others, save nothing and have so much debt they live paycheck to paycheck.

This is why I save up for audio equipment. Yes, I could get them on credit and afford the payment, but then that can come crashing during a crisis in which one can't work for any reason.
Years ago I was mulling over whether to spend extra on a graphics card for the pc I was having built. When mentioning this to someone they went "well that's what credit cards are for" and I went "nope not doing that". Same applies to headphones/iems whatever. Within reason I can afford what I like, I just have to justify it to myself.

Mar 26, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #21,854 of 39,414
Years ago I was mulling over whether to spend extra on a graphics card for the pc I was having built. When mentioning this to someone they went "well that's what credit cards are for" and I went "nope not doing that". Same applies to headphones/iems whatever. Within reason I can afford what I like, I just have to justify it to myself.
agreed - never go into debt for something that you don’t need or won’t make you more money than what you’re investing

Mar 26, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #21,855 of 39,414
So excited to watch 'The Last of Us 2' game/story this May. Hopefully things currently will not go there.
Sad how this virus affects the Olympics. And the athletes that have prepared for so long. The postponement must be tough mentally and physically

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back