flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 26, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #21,856 of 39,414
Is it sort of agreed upon that for "warm and gooey" the best you can get is the VE8?

I need something to specifically run the likes of Eminem on, which sounds quite hot on almost any IEM with forward treble

Mar 26, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #21,857 of 39,414
So excited to watch 'The Last of Us 2' game/story this May. Hopefully things currently will not go there.
Sad how this virus affects the Olympics. And the athletes that have prepared for so long. The postponement must be tough mentally and physically

Same! 'Finished the first one three times and enjoyed every single play through, so hopefully Naughty Dog don't drop the ball on this one. Though, if Uncharted 2 is any indication, we'll have absolutely nothing to worry about. :wink:

Is it sort of agreed upon that for "warm and gooey" the best you can get is the VE8?

I need something to specifically run the likes of Eminem on, which sounds quite hot on almost any IEM with forward treble

VE8 can definitely be considered warm, but certainly not gooey. My vote for warm and gooey would go to Stealth Sonics' new C9 Pro; somehow warm and thick and as resolving as the best of them. It's a shame that the virus has postponed CanJam SG so far (and even then, it's still very uncertain as to whether or not it'll get postponed again), as that's where they'd planned to release it. Hopefully, it does come out soon, because I think a lot of people will really enjoy it.

Mar 27, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #21,858 of 39,414
I posted this on the Luna Thread, but figured I would post it here as well. These are my initial impressions of the Dunu Luna. Tks.

I received my Luna’s. So far, I have about 10+ hours on them. They sound good and allot of detail, but they are definitely lacking in the bass. Now, I am only using the blue tips at the moment, so I will see if using different tips to improve the seal will help in the future. So please consider these initial impressions. And as I hear from others, I will see if they improve as they burn in (I heard 200 hours?). All listening has been done using my Cayin N8 in Tube Mode.

I compared them to my Fourte and while I feel the Luna holds its own in the midrange and treble, they are lacking in bass impact. On the plus side, the treble is good and not sibilant. The Fourte gets sibilant really fast which I feel is an issue with them. Using Paul Simon’s Graceland (Hi Def) as an example, the bass is lower and has less impact than the Fourte.

I also did a quick comparison to my QDC Anole VX. Again, I used the Graceland track for comparison. Here, there was no comparison. The VX displayed much more impact in the bass while still being great in the midrange and treble without sibilance. As an example, at 4:00 into the track there is a “whooshing” bass sound that starts. The VX presents this with authority and detail while the Luna merely lets you know there is a sound there. The Anole VX just sounded way better to me overall. I would say the VX had me more into the music, though the Luna is still good.

Then I compared the Luna to the VX using the track “Singing Winds, Crying Beasts” from Santana’s Abraxas (Hi Def) album. As I said before the bass is stronger when it needs to be on the VX. However, one point in the Luna’s favor were the bells in the beginning. You can hear them individually and still musical at the same time. Beautiful reproduction. Very detailed. The VX produced them as well, but some were a bit harder to differentiate as there is bass present as well, and the VX is also producing those sounds. I then turned on my home stereo (Rockport Altairs and Viva Electronics) as a comparison to see which is the more correct. The VX more closely resembled the sound of my big rig.

At the moment I would say they are not in the same league as the Anole VX, but let’s see how they evolve over time.

Mar 27, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #21,859 of 39,414
I posted this on the Luna Thread, but figured I would post it here as well. These are my initial impressions of the Dunu Luna. Tks.

I received my Luna’s. So far, I have about 10+ hours on them. They sound good and allot of detail, but they are definitely lacking in the bass. Now, I am only using the blue tips at the moment, so I will see if using different tips to improve the seal will help in the future. So please consider these initial impressions. And as I hear from others, I will see if they improve as they burn in (I heard 200 hours?). All listening has been done using my Cayin N8 in Tube Mode.

I compared them to my Fourte and while I feel the Luna holds its own in the midrange and treble, they are lacking in bass impact. On the plus side, the treble is good and not sibilant. The Fourte gets sibilant really fast which I feel is an issue with them. Using Paul Simon’s Graceland (Hi Def) as an example, the bass is lower and has less impact than the Fourte.

I also did a quick comparison to my QDC Anole VX. Again, I used the Graceland track for comparison. Here, there was no comparison. The VX displayed much more impact in the bass while still being great in the midrange and treble without sibilance. As an example, at 4:00 into the track there is a “whooshing” bass sound that starts. The VX presents this with authority and detail while the Luna merely lets you know there is a sound there. The Anole VX just sounded way better to me overall. I would say the VX had me more into the music, though the Luna is still good.

Then I compared the Luna to the VX using the track “Singing Winds, Crying Beasts” from Santana’s Abraxas (Hi Def) album. As I said before the bass is stronger when it needs to be on the VX. However, one point in the Luna’s favor were the bells in the beginning. You can hear them individually and still musical at the same time. Beautiful reproduction. Very detailed. The VX produced them as well, but some were a bit harder to differentiate as there is bass present as well, and the VX is also producing those sounds. I then turned on my home stereo (Rockport Altairs and Viva Electronics) as a comparison to see which is the more correct. The VX more closely resembled the sound of my big rig.

At the moment I would say they are not in the same league as the Anole VX, but let’s see how they evolve over time.
I wasn't really considering the Luna because I really disliked the design, but I'm receiving my Anole in a few days and this is wonderful news! :D

Mar 27, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #21,860 of 39,414

I love the bass on the VX. If the u12t has the most "DD like" BA bass then the VX has the best "BA like" BA bass that I've heard-- such depth, precision and nuance. I still prefer DDs overall but I loved the bass on the VX when I had it.

Mar 27, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #21,862 of 39,414
Both are quite different sound signature.
That's fair, I haven't tried the Luna to comment on it just yet, mostly the shell is what bothers me there currently. I like my IEMs a little flashier haha

Mar 27, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #21,864 of 39,414
That's fair, I haven't tried the Luna to comment on it just yet, mostly the shell is what bothers me there currently. I like my IEMs a little flashier haha
And that is important because you can see them when they are in your ears.

Mar 27, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #21,865 of 39,414
And that is important because you can see them when they are in your ears.
Well if I’m dishing out a few grand on just about anything non-essential then yeah, I’d say it should be something I enjoy visually as well

Mar 27, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #21,866 of 39,414

You just have to print very small dog-paw stickers to dress up Luna shells :D When trying these at CanJam, I was actually surprised how comfortably they fit. Definitely improved design ergonomics over their previous models I tried last year.

Also, @Frankie D , have you tried other (or bigger size) eartips to improve the seal? Burn-in could refine the sound, but not gonna make bass magically appear :wink: Again, from my limited listening at CanJam, I don't recall them being bass heavy, but the bass was definitely present and quite articulate, though I found A8k to be faster (and colder in overall tonality). I also recall the sound was very eartips dependent, I even mentioned it in my CanJam report that going from Type E to Symbio W tips changed the sound sig to more balanced, adding weight and body to lower mids. Play with eartips, lack of bass you are hearing probably the indicator you are not getting a good seal/fit.

Mar 27, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #21,867 of 39,414
You just have to print very small dog-paw stickers to dress up Luna shells :D When trying these at CanJam, I was actually surprised how comfortably they fit. Definitely improved design ergonomics over their previous models I tried last year.

Also, @Frankie D , have you tried other (or bigger size) eartips to improve the seal? Burn-in could refine the sound, but not gonna make bass magically appear :wink: Again, from my limited listening at CanJam, I don't recall them being bass heavy, but the bass was definitely present and quite articulate, though I found A8k to be faster (and colder in overall tonality). I also recall the sound was very eartips dependent, I even mentioned it in my CanJam report that going from Type E to Symbio W tips changed the sound sig to more balanced, adding weight and body to lower mids. Play with eartips, lack of bass you are hearing probably the indicator you are not getting a good seal/fit.
Twister thank you for this. I have commented ad nauseam on the Luna thread about this and tip rolling is being so critical, I think I actually made reference to it on this thread as well. Thus the danger of quick impressions.

Mar 27, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #21,868 of 39,414

I will try different tips as time goes on. Also at CanJam the Luna definitely had both better Bass and treble then the A8000 in my opinion. I went back and forth directly to compare as best I could. And the metallic sound I heard from the treble in the A8000 turned me off. Now I only heard one other Headfi member also mention that, but I am what I call treble sensitive. I want it open, clear, full and nothing that causes a ringing effect (think of a very poor recording). I will keep you posted. Tks.

Mar 27, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #21,869 of 39,414
Twister thank you for this. I have commented ad nauseam on the Luna thread about this and tip rolling is being so critical, I think I actually made reference to it on this thread as well. Thus the danger of quick impressions.
Yes, thank you. I read that. The tips do fit well, but I will try others. I figured I would post my impressions over time. What I wrote is only after one day of ownership. I will have many further thoughts and impressions. Tks.

Mar 27, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #21,870 of 39,414
I wasn't really considering the Luna because I really disliked the design, but I'm receiving my Anole in a few days and this is wonderful news! :D
You will love the VX. I use all switches off for the most part. But turning them on is also good. It depends on what you like. Mine are custom, so if you ordered them as custom they will sound better then the universal due to the better seal. But the universal sounds great too.
And for the Luna, as you get to know it, you begin to appreciate its design. It is not flashy, but well made and comfortable. They also send an excellent cable with removable tips. So you can connect it to 3.5mm, 2.5mm balanced, 4.4mm balanced, etc. Tks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back