flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 26, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #21,376 of 39,414
Nice collection!
How do you like the FDX1? Their frequency response is quite similar to the Fibae 7.

I found the FDX1 brighter, even with the filters that have the most HF damping material in them. I do think the FDX1 have great technicalities and instrumental timbre. I'd even go as far as to say they bested the F7's technical performance in all areas but treble layering/sustain/decay. I really wanted to like them, but their tonal balance was a bit too intense for me - IIRC upper mids peaked at 4k - which is a bit too aggressive for my liking. Also, the metal shells are matte finished and rubbed my ears wrong - I just couldn't wear them for more than 30 minutes.

Feb 26, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #21,377 of 39,414
I found the FDX1 brighter, even with the filters that have the most HF damping material in them. I do think the FDX1 have great technicalities and instrumental timbre. I'd even go as far as to say they bested the F7's technical performance in all areas but treble layering/sustain/decay. I really wanted to like them, but their tonal balance was a bit too intense for me - IIRC upper mids peaked at 4k - which is a bit too aggressive for my liking. Also, the metal shells are matte finished and rubbed my ears wrong - I just couldn't wear them for more than 30 minutes.

Thanks! Very interesting!
I do have some modded JVC FD02 and bought the FDX1, but mine were clearly outside the specs with a severe lack of bass (-5dB and -10dB @ 80Hz) compared to the FD02 which is the same IEM without the interchangeable nozzles. But that's another story. The FD02 however are a really good allrounder, and my most used IEM.
I find it intriguing that you found the technical abilities so close to the Fibae, considering the different market segment they are in.
Once again, thanks for sharing. I've had the FD02 for a year and I am growing more and more fond of them.

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #21,378 of 39,414
Great. Finally get my blocked ears sorted out and now I've got the sore throat thing going around which means I can't swallow without hurting and hearings gone crap again :frowning2: 2nd day off work with this thing and I'm already bouncing off the walls with boredom. Had all the sleep I can manage for now.

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #21,379 of 39,414
Great. Finally get my blocked ears sorted out and now I've got the sore throat thing going around which means I can't swallow without hurting and hearings gone crap again :frowning2: 2nd day off work with this thing and I'm already bouncing off the walls with boredom. Had all the sleep I can manage for now.
See, that's why dogs are the superior species. You're never bored when you have a tail! :D
ipc162p3flf21.gif

Feb 26, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #21,380 of 39,414
See, that's why dogs are the superior species. You're never bored when you have a tail! :D
ipc162p3flf21.gif
asdasfaf.gif

Dog creature daily to-do list:
- sleep
- wag tail
- smell (if good then eat)
- run around
- look at bird
- smell some more
- eat
- sleap

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #21,382 of 39,414
Hey fellas, what do y'all think is the BEST IEM for male vocals such as Frank Sinatra? I've been racking my brain trying to think of the ideal IEM for such music, and the closest thing I can think of is Vision Ears VE8, but it's a tad too coloured/warm imo to be the best out there. Any opinions?

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #21,383 of 39,414
Hey fellas, what do y'all think is the BEST IEM for male vocals such as Frank Sinatra? I've been racking my brain trying to think of the ideal IEM for such music, and the closest thing I can think of is Vision Ears VE8, but it's a tad too coloured/warm imo to be the best out there. Any opinions?

VE8 is the best I've heard.

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #21,384 of 39,414
Elysium has the best mid and upper mids I've heard. Vocals, male and female, are stellar. Slightly more clarity in that range than the VE8, IMO.

Feb 26, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #21,385 of 39,414

Agreed with fiasco, Elysium would suit what you're describing.

Feb 26, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #21,386 of 39,414
Ambient Acoustics MAD24 is to be considered too. Great IEM.
Review coming soon.

Feb 26, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #21,387 of 39,414

Elysium is the best for vocals i've ever heard.

I've heard the ve8 as well...found it far too warm to compete with the high-end detail and overall balance of other totl stuff. I enjoy VE's newer most totl offerings (erlkonig/elysium) both much more.

But yeah, for vocals elysium wins...the dymanic driver is incredible with voices.

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #21,388 of 39,414

Warmer frequency responses tend to make male vocals rich and smooth. Of the IEM's I've tried, I'm definitely a big fan of the vocals on the JH Roxanne (I'm even considering making it my next custom, but I have too many IEMs at the moment so I need to decide whether I actually need it or not),

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #21,389 of 39,414
I find it intriguing that you found the technical abilities so close to the Fibae, considering the different market segment they are in.

Forgot to mention I used a very high quality 24.5 awg hybrid litz upgrade cable when using FDX1. It instantly scaled when that stock cable was switched out. Could've been gear synergy? Who knows, and it's just the way I heard it, I'm not asserting this to be 100% truth. I was very impressed with the overall layering of FDX1 (treble not so much). Detail retrieval and resolution I still have to give it to the FDX1. Room ambience (recording space) was easier to discern - low level detail was more apparent. I know that's not going to be a popular answer, and it kind of pisses me off to admit. But I think that folks dismissing it for being only $250 are really missing out. If your ears can accept them, and you can handle the highly energetic signature, I highly rec them.

Total win however, still goes to F7. The sum is greater than the individual characteristics, and the tuning is spot on. Enjoyment factor, ease of listening, good enough technicals, Surprisingly good BA bass.

Feb 26, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #21,390 of 39,414
Forgot to mention I used a very high quality 24.5 awg hybrid litz upgrade cable when using FDX1. It instantly scaled when that stock cable was switched out. Could've been gear synergy? Who knows, and it's just the way I heard it, I'm not asserting this to be 100% truth. I was very impressed with the overall layering of FDX1 (treble not so much). Detail retrieval and resolution I still have to give it to the FDX1. Room ambience (recording space) was easier to discern - low level detail was more apparent. I know that's not going to be a popular answer, and it kind of pisses me off to admit. But I think that folks dismissing it for being only $250 are really missing out. If your ears can accept them, and you can handle the highly energetic signature, I highly rec them.

Total win however, still goes to F7. The sum is greater than the individual characteristics, and the tuning is spot on. Enjoyment factor, ease of listening, good enough technicals, Surprisingly good BA bass.
I had the same experience with the FD02 - the stock cable clearly holds them back. Nobunaga Yuuzen works well for me but looks aweful after a few weeks of use, all oxydized.
FD01 cable is supposed to be better but I didn't have time to test the cable on the FDX1, was too busy proving that mine were defective...
TBH it's a surprise for me that you give the FDX1 the better score in detail. If I compare my FD02 to the T8iE, the A&K is clearly more clean, transparent and detailed. Also more sparkly in the treble, but nicely controlled. I feel like Crinacle gets it right when he says "Hard-to-dislike tuning with excellent clarity and resolution"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back