flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 23, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #21,331 of 39,419
What upcoming IEMs are you guys most looking forward to? For me it's the next VE release, something new from 64(been awhile), and the rumored new EE release.

I would love to see a VE universal similar to Elysium but not so squarely in the "money is no object" price tier that Erlkonig occupies. I'm curious what Campfire Audio has coming up-- it seems that the Atlas is about to be discontinued so I'm curious to know what they will replace it with.

Feb 24, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #21,332 of 39,419
I would love to see a VE universal similar to Elysium but not so squarely in the "money is no object" price tier that Erlkonig occupies. I'm curious what Campfire Audio has coming up-- it seems that the Atlas is about to be discontinued so I'm curious to know what they will replace it with.
Unfortunately from what I've been told by VE they won't be releasing any new TOTLs in 2020, only refreshing the current line-up. Maybe a VE8.2 though?

Feb 24, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #21,333 of 39,419
Unfortunately from what I've been told by VE they won't be releasing any new TOTLs in 2020...

That's good, that's good. It's refreshing to see a company not pumping out new flagships every...

Maybe a VE8.2 though?

giphy.gif

Jokes aside, the VE8 is unlikely to be refreshed given its youth. Though, I'd love to see what a tuned-up VE5 would sound like, especially given its (much-deserved) almost cult-like following.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #21,334 of 39,419
Though, I'd love to see what a tuned-up VE5 would sound like, especially given its (much-deserved) almost cult-like following.
Don't bring me into tempta... Oh, who cares...
Preach the Good Word of the VE5.2! :innocent:
giphy.gif

Feb 24, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #21,335 of 39,419
Don't bring me into tempta... Oh, who cares...
Preach the Good Word of the VE5.2! :innocent:
giphy.gif

Speaking of companies who don't put out new releases very often and line-up refreshes, I have some unfortunate news to share to anyone (if there are any) looking forward to my impressions of Spiral Ears' new 4-Way Ultimate. I just heard from Grzegorz that - after countless trials, attempts and broken moulds - he found my ear canals unable to properly house the 4-Way Ultimate's components and acoustics. Apparently, while they aren't short on space at all, their bendy/twisty shape makes them unsuitable for any model above the 3-Way or 3-Way Ultimate.

So, in a few weeks' time, I should be receiving the also-new 3-Way Ultimate instead, which I'm still pretty chuffed about nonetheless. And, on the bright side, at least I no longer have to fight the nagging temptation of purchasing an SE5U or SE6 anymore; completely out the window now. :D

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #21,336 of 39,419
Speaking of companies who don't put out new releases very often and line-up refreshes, I have some unfortunate news to share to anyone (if there are any) looking forward to my impressions of Spiral Ears' new 4-Way Ultimate. I just heard from Grzegorz that - after countless trials, attempts and broken moulds - he found my ear canals unable to properly house the 4-Way Ultimate's components and acoustics. Apparently, while they aren't short on space at all, their bendy/twisty shape makes them unsuitable for any model above the 3-Way or 3-Way Ultimate.

So, in a few weeks' time, I should be receiving the also-new 3-Way Ultimate instead, which I'm still pretty chuffed about nonetheless. And, on the bright side, at least I no longer have to fight the nagging temptation of purchasing an SE5U or SE6 anymore; completely out the window now. :D
That's a terrible shame. I know what it's like because the SE5U can't be made for my ears either and so I gave that up long ago. Hope you'll enjoy the 3-Way Ultimate!

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #21,337 of 39,419
That's good, that's good. It's refreshing to see a company not pumping out new flagships every...

giphy.gif

Jokes aside, the VE8 is unlikely to be refreshed given its youth. Though, I'd love to see what a tuned-up VE5 would sound like, especially given its (much-deserved) almost cult-like following.
Yeah I agree - VE has managed to consistently put out very impressive flagships, and I think part of that is actually taking the time to create something impressive before launching the next thing

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #21,338 of 39,419
That's a terrible shame. I know what it's like because the SE5U can't be made for my ears either and so I gave that up long ago. Hope you'll enjoy the 3-Way Ultimate!

Actually, the real "terrible shame" is that I saw SE5U and thought to myself - Universal model :frowning2:

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #21,339 of 39,419
Actually, the real "terrible shame" is that I saw SE5U and thought to myself - Universal model :frowning2:
Oh the disappointment :D

On a side note, as of late I've completely re-oriented myself to universals - customs are too expensive to own considering how fast I cycle through them

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #21,341 of 39,419
I think Daniel has the ultimate ear model. The SE5U is just not ultimate enough for them. On another note, I've given up chasing the custom N8 for the reason mentioned by @mvvRAZ above. Also because of the amount of bass. Considering my ears are too average in shape, it's better getting a universal. Plus I can share it with my non-audiophile friend. :)

"I don't get it, why are you paying $1000 for this?"
"I, I like the sound of it"​
"It sounds the same as my Beats by Dre, and Airpod. This is silly"
"No, no you don't get it"​
"What am I missing here?"
"(Too tired of explaining ) Nevermind. Look, it has abalone faceplate on it. Aren't they pretty?"​
"..This is why you're broke man"

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #21,343 of 39,419
Unfortunately from what I've been told by VE they won't be releasing any new TOTLs in 2020, only refreshing the current line-up. Maybe a VE8.2 though?

That would be interesting...the VE8 is the best IEM I've ever heard...would be curious to see how they could refine it.

Feb 24, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #21,344 of 39,419
That would be interesting...the VE8 is the best IEM I've ever heard...would be curious to see how they could refine it.
I don’t have any specific information pointing towards a VE8.2, was just a wild guess on my part :)

Don’t want to get people hyped up on something VE aren’t even planning haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back