flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 17, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #11,971 of 39,414
btw guys , going from 'ah it's too much' for the VE 4K erkonig to 'now it is bearable' for the 3.5K SE6

you are fools , playing the ciem companies game

if you don't see it , well not much to say

just don't whine when the first 5K CIEM appears next year.

this is like fasciscm , kill the snake egg before it hatches

cheers

Aug 17, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #11,972 of 39,414
you are buying the se6

it's 100% clear :L3000:

Oh I am buying the SE6 alright.

btw guys , going from 'ah it's too much' for the VE 4K erkonig to 'now it is bearable' for the 3.5K SE6

you are fools , playing the ciem companies game

if you don't see it , well not much to say

just don't whine when the first 5K CIEM appears next year.

this is like fasciscm , kill the snake egg before it hatches

cheers

Too much or okay is not just about the price, it's the value vs price game. If you value it more than it costs, and you can afford it, then buying it is an option. If you think the cost exceeds the value it brings to you, or you just plainly can't afford it, then you don't have that option.

Well I have an impression that there are more A18 and tia Fourte owners on this thread than my hand can count, and those iem prices are also in the neighborhood. Now if you complain about no universal, no demo, no ownership transfer I will concede, but if you just argue on price alone then I will admit I'm a proud and happy 'fool' to pull the trigger on the SE6.

The price for everything will steadily rise exponentially as the quality increase linearly. All high end games are like that. Camera, watch, vehicle, house, full size can, speaker system, everything... If you're not into that summit-fi segment, reading and crying about it will just agonize you more and more.

The good news is eventually, all the technologies in the flagship/high end segment will find it way down to the affordable zone later. Look, SE5U reigned the chart for a while, then out comes the Phantom (arguably slightly more affordable) with similar signature. You wait long enough, there will be something later, not quite the same, but at least there will be something approximately close.

And 5k IEM? Pfft.

Google the oBravo Ra C-Cu.

Aug 17, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #11,973 of 39,414
Consumers vote with their wallet. So if we really want a change, we would boycott brands with ANY high priced product (to deprive them of revenue). Instead we revere them. Because this is a luxury hobby. It’s built right into the audiophile business model...

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #11,974 of 39,414
Consumers vote with their wallet. So if we really want a change, we would boycott brands with high prices. Instead we revere them. Because this is a luxury hobby. It’s built right into the audiophile business model...

Exactly, it's a vote. And I respect anyone's decision to boycott high price items and hope that such respect would be reciprocated. In the end, if there are not enough people buying it, price will drop.

It just got uncomfortable when the attack is not on the issue, but on the people whom you disagree with:

you are fools

Aug 17, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #11,975 of 39,414
i consider myself a fool too , just one with an empty wallet

cheers

ps : the ownership transfer thing is what really hurts (me) , i understand that this is capitalism and prices are bound to go higher and higher especially here where new tech is supposed to get better and better.

on a bright note , at least i managed to buy myself a Zeus XR at a great price - so yeah these are 1st world problems we are good.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #11,977 of 39,414
i consider myself a fool too , just one with an empty wallet
+1 We can't all play with the big dogs..
giphy.gif

Aug 18, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #11,979 of 39,414
+1 We can't all play with the big dogs..
giphy.gif

well , with a Zeus XR bought at almost a 1/3 of the SE6 price (not a typo , one third of the SE6 price)

i may not be the biggest dog around , but i am one of the smartest :sunglasses:

and that will do (for now at least)

Aug 18, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #11,980 of 39,414
ps : the ownership transfer thing is what really hurts (me) , i understand that this is capitalism and prices are bound to go higher and higher especially here where new tech is supposed to get better and better.

I agree, no ownership transfer is what hurts the most as there is no recovery if you happens to dislike the sound signature (it's a matter of taste).
But then again, the reason is SE has no resource to support it right now when they have a new model out.

Between now and the next model release, which, knowing SE track record, might be another 3-4 years, the initial flood of orders will subside, resource will be freed and I believe that if Grzegorz has the means to support the after sale services, he will support it.
(This is just my impression of the man, not a guarantee, so take that with a grain of salt)

I have another issue though: it's the 'suggested' cable ban, and SE cable are 3.5mm single end by default. If I had a DAP that works better with balanced line out... well, that's troublesome.

Remind me of Frank Lloyd Wright houses, once he designs a house, he dictates how you live in it down to the furnitures and tableware, what you can have in term of belongings living in your (his) house.

Fortunately I don't own A&K DAP, and don't have fund left for cable after the SE6. So it's all good.

Aug 18, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #11,981 of 39,414
what's this with the no cable SE policy ? can you elaborate a little more ?

Aug 18, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #11,982 of 39,414
what's this with the no cable SE policy ? can you elaborate a little more ?

SE6 comes with a Hi Res (looks like vanilla silver) cable.
It is suggested that you don't change that cable since it may hurt the sound signature.

In warranty section, warranty is void if the problem is caused by aftermarket cable.

Also, I read from SE5U thread that:
1. SE cable pins are a bit longer than normal recessed 2-pin, so it's not very cable friendly.
2. These are silicone CIEMs. They're not solid. every time you unplug/plug the cable, it hurts the socket a bit.

Aug 18, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #11,983 of 39,414
No one’s rushing to get it now that it’s $3K, and no one's deeming it anywhere near good value either. We're celebrating the fact that enough backlash can actually make some semblance of a change and giving credit where it's due. But, I doubt the change will make naysayers completely reverse their stances overnight.

Even a small win is a win, yes, but there certainly is a sense that the general feeling is now that the price of $3k is more acceptable, and that is not exclusive of the SE6 pricing.

When the Tzar and Fourte were announced there was uproar. Now people are more open to that price point due to other manufacturers noticing that we do still buy at this price en masse and now the ~$3k price is more common, and almost expected of a flagship. This price no longer requires justification - if it's a flagship, that's the price, and we will buy out of lack of willpower/curiosity/loaded af/because we want to.

So nothing new in saying we are to blame but I am not one to celebrate this because they ended up at a price that was already outrageous to begin with, and their attempt at making us think that they lowered the price to something more "acceptable" because they listened to us is pure BS.

My point is that it is painfully obvious that manufacturers know that they can continually keep increasing the price of their flagships and not only will the market respond well to it, but it will reward them. And the frustrating thing is we know this and play along with it. But again that's human nature within and without of this site.

But I guess as I said, this industry is inevitably heading in the direction of 2 channel pricing. I will not participate but that isn't going to stop others from doing so. So I guess...

tenor (18).gif

I think people shouldn't see such a twisted approach in Grzegorz. He is not the perfect communicator, but he is quite honest. It was quite clumsy but he wanted to shock people with the price to say that they feel it so worth that much, then put the real price. Or something.

I don't know him personally nor have I interacted with him but he bluntly stated that he put that price up to test the waters. Without the backlash he would've kept that pricing. With the backlash he still charges an outlandish amount under ridiculous purchasing circumstances. That just seems snake-like to me. He wanted to keep order quantities under control? BS. Just set up a fixed amount of orders per month if that's the case. I don't buy it for a second. That's not lack of communication skills. He is certainly no fool as he can achieve what he does so well. That's still ego and manipulation.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #11,984 of 39,414
Even a small win is a win, yes, but there certainly is a sense that the general feeling is now that the price of $3k is more acceptable, and that is not exclusive of the SE6 pricing.

When the Tzar and Fourte were announced there was uproar. Now people are more open to that price point due to other manufacturers noticing that we do still buy at this price en masse and now the ~$3k price is more common, and almost expected of a flagship. This price no longer requires justification - if it's a flagship, that's the price, and we will buy out of lack of willpower/curiosity/loaded af/because we want to.

So nothing new in saying we are to blame but I am not one to celebrate this because they ended up at a price that was already outrageous to begin with, and their attempt at making us think that they lowered the price to something more "acceptable" because they listened to us is pure BS.

My point is that it is painfully obvious that manufacturers know that they can continually keep increasing the price of their flagships and not only will the market respond well to it, but it will reward them. And the frustrating thing is we know this and play along with it. But again that's human nature within and without of this site.

But I guess as I said, this industry is inevitably heading in the direction of 2 channel pricing. I will not participate but that isn't going to stop others from doing so. So I guess...

I don't know him personally nor have I interacted with him but he bluntly stated that he put that price up to test the waters. Without the backlash he would've kept that pricing. With the backlash he still charges an outlandish amount under ridiculous purchasing circumstances. That just seems snake-like to me. He wanted to keep order quantities under control? BS. Just set up a fixed amount of orders per month if that's the case. I don't buy it for a second. That's not lack of communication skills. He is certainly no fool as he can achieve what he does so well. That's still ego and manipulation.

The initial 64Audio announcement way back when was met with really similar reception. I believe they had to slash the announced prices of the U/A18t and the Tia Fourte by 500-1000 USD after all the flack they received. I have a feeling all the praise that the SE5U received eventually affected the SE6's pricing as well. There was an unmistakeable momentum to be taken advantage of, but holy crap did he ride that wave too high. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back