flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 17, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #11,941 of 39,414
So, just to be clear as I can't tell if everyone is being sarcastic or not, a $3k price is now officially OK? People are comfortable with that now?

64 Audio and VE have won I guess. Good for them.

2-channel pricing, here comes Head Fi.

Nah, they bring out a gun and when you think you're gonna get shot, they just hit you with a baseball bat. You can't help but think "At least I didn't get shot".
Happened to me with the Fourtes. I choked at the price, but when I could get them for $2,700 it felt like a deal! I've got them dialed in now, so I'm not complaining, but still............
Yes, I have my weak moments!:disappointed_relieved:

Aug 17, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #11,942 of 39,414
So, just to be clear as I can't tell if everyone is being sarcastic or not, a $3k price is now officially OK? People are comfortable with that now?

We all know this day will come, and now it's finally here. No matter how much we try to escape, eventually reality will catch up and bite us in the arse.

kRQBaJd_700wa_0.gif

Aug 17, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #11,943 of 39,414
SE6 will cost 3400 euros , i had proposed a 3K price i knew i had talent in marketing (he is gonna get a ****load of orders at that price)

''A comparison to a samurai sword would be adequate here.''

i laughed so hard here ahahahahahahahahaha
Not just any sword, but a Hattori Hanzo sword.
Now it's really sounds like a bargain here.

Aug 17, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #11,944 of 39,414
By far, the most entertaining thread on HF :D For the last two days the angry mob was ready to burn Spiral Ears guy down, and now he is back to being the greatest after instant 50% pre-order discount :p j/k about discount, I know, price has been adjusted :wink:

Aug 17, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #11,945 of 39,414
I still have an issue at how arbitrary those price hikes/discounts are. Looks like people got the magic range dialed in. I know there's R&D, overhead, etc, but prices have just gotten so rediculous. Compare this market to pro audio and the prices are so elevated.

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #11,946 of 39,414
Hello All,

I think Warbler Prelude needs more introduction. This is a very easily misunderstood ciem, and it took me a very long time to understand Prelude, but I think I discover the key to unlocking its great potential. The 2 keys are: a good silver cable such as recent CTM 8 core Okoi cable and bright DAP. If you are looking for great technical ciem that will move you emotionally, this is the one( At least that's what I believe). I'm gonna post my posting of Warbler here to entice more to purchase Warbler Prelude; or push them to the darkside...

I have to agree 100%, indeed, easily misunderstood, and I'm guilty as charged after spending a week with it last year and sending it back thinking something was wrong due to a completely rolled off treble. Its power lies within mids, and it could probably shine with a bright cable and a brighter source if you want more resolution/details, of course, all depending on your sound preference. This is a differently tuned IEM, not to compete or substitute other ones, but rather to complement with something different and unique. You just have to be aware what it offers and if it's your cup of tea.

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #11,947 of 39,414

No one’s rushing to get it now that it’s $3K, and no one's deeming it anywhere near good value either. We're celebrating the fact that enough backlash can actually make some semblance of a change and giving credit where it's due. But, I doubt the change will make naysayers completely reverse their stances overnight.

Can anyone give me a comparison on UERR vs CustomArt FIBAE3? can't demo the latter.

The FIBAE 3 is brighter in tone, but just as smooth as the UERR. The UERR has a more natural tone, while the FIBAE 3 has a clearer sense of detail. The UERR is also quite a bit mid-bassy-er, while the FIBAE 3 is more sub-bass-inclined.

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #11,948 of 39,414
Hello All,

I think Warbler Prelude needs more introduction. This is a very easily misunderstood ciem, and it took me a very long time to understand Prelude, but I think I discover the key to unlocking its great potential. The 2 keys are: a good silver cable such as recent CTM 8 core Okoi cable and bright DAP. If you are looking for great technical ciem that will move you emotionally, this is the one( At least that's what I believe). I'm gonna post my posting of Warbler here to entice more to purchase Warbler Prelude; or push them to the darkside :beyersmile::beyersmile::beyersmile:

------------------------------

My favorite ciem and cable at the moment (last couple weeks):

Warbler Prelude + CTM 8 core silver cable Okoi 2.5 mm connected with Trident Audio Silver + Copper 2.5 mm to 4.4 mm connector cable + Modified WM1Z/ or Earstudio ES100 bluetooth DAC.

With modified WM1Z(more brighter sounding 1Z/ improved version of 1A):
Sound is extremely soulful and sublime. Prelude is associated with very soulful but thick warm sound; has amazing amazing timbre and extremely warm. Silver Okoi cable clear much of the warmth, music/sound is extremely clear, improved clarity by great amount and precision is spot on. Not as thick sounding, soundstage expanded, great air between instruments. Still as soulful as ever, with male vocals as the focus, maybe even better than before. Those who loves extreme technical side of music (should?) avoid Prelude because it is the antithesis of technicality. No longer the case, since Prelude becomes combination of great technicality with extremely soulful/ musical piece. When using Prelude with good silver based cable, all its disadvatages such as very warm, thick sounding, slight veil are gone, replaced with much blacker background, extreme clarity, much greater resolution, less thickness, greater soundstage, instruments have greater impact, eg: piano becomes lively and when it needs it will hits hard, while at the same time, Prelude retains its amazing timbre, soulfulness eg: female voices pull at your heartstrings easily and its great bass definition. And you will hear everything that can be heard in your music (well it still depends on how good your DAP is). It sounded like a different but still great sounding ciem altogether. Even better if its paired with brighter sounding DAP like AK or modified 1A/1Z or even Earstudio ES100 DAC/ LDAC streaming. Comparison between Prelude with regular cable and with good silver cable is like a handsome man who is 20 pounds overweight with the same man but 20 pounds lighter. Its still the same person, but the later is more agile, faster, healthier, and more active, while the earlier is sluggish, lazier, slower version. Those who own Prelude, try using silver cable and discover the great difference. You'll rediscover and fall in love with Prelude once more. With good silver cable, I would place Warbler Prelude on the same class as EE Phantom, probably slightly lower, but not by much.

You re right.
Right now I use the hansound redcore cable with my prelude on the Hugo 2 .
They are pretty amazing iems.
Resolution imaging are pretty good.
I prefer it to my old zeus XIV

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #11,951 of 39,414
SE6 will cost 3400 euros , i had proposed a 3K price i knew i had talent in marketing (he is gonna get a ****load of orders at that price)

''A comparison to a samurai sword would be adequate here.''

i laughed so hard here ahahahahahahahahaha

Way to go. Lol.

It will be interesting to see if folks will shell that out. I bet they will on reputation alone. Crazy.

I have to agree 100%, indeed, easily misunderstood, and I'm guilty as charged after spending a week with it last year and sending it back thinking something was wrong due to a completely rolled off treble. Its power lies within mids, and it could probably shine with a bright cable and a brighter source if you want more resolution/details, of course, all depending on your sound preference. This is a differently tuned IEM, not to compete or substitute other ones, but rather to complement with something different and unique. You just have to be aware what it offers and if it's your cup of tea.

We have some 2 channel speakers that are fan favorites in this way. Harbeth and Soendoe are two British companies who make speakers that just shine in the mids. Also Audio Note from Japan and also UK (the original partners has a nasty break up lol). Mids are still 90% of the music.

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #11,952 of 39,414
Way to go. Lol.

1. It will be interesting to see if folks will shell that out. I bet they will on reputation alone. Crazy.

Se5, totl shootout top the chart multiple times, what other iem can claim that, so for the currently asking, the se6 deserves it

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #11,953 of 39,414
The FIBAE 3 is brighter in tone, but just as smooth as the UERR. The UERR has a more natural tone, while the FIBAE 3 has a clearer sense of detail. The UERR is also quite a bit mid-bassy-er, while the FIBAE 3 is more sub-bass-inclined.
Thank you. That sounds interesting. Will pull a trigger on FIBAE3 cause my old triple driver UM sounds very similar to UERR but just a bit less detailed and I need a bit of change. A lot of high end CIEM are tuned towards audiophile style sound which I don't really enjoy. Hope it is the right decision.

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #11,954 of 39,414
Mids are still 90% of the music.
I have a crazy theory that as stereo equipment evolved over the decades so did popular music accordingly. Back in the 50s & 60s people listened on vintage tube amps and fullrange speakers which presumably delivered smooth and rich mids but little in the way of highs or lows, so you had crooners like Nat King Cole & Sinatra dominating the charts. Transistors were invented in the 70s and suddenly along came disco with lots of hi-hats to take advantage of those bright solid state amps. Later subwoofers became popular and techno arrived to take advantage of them.

How this pertains to portable audio I'm not sure, this segment of the market is probably too small to have much influence of what music producers are doing in their studios, although with the rise of mobiles more people are listening portably than ever.

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #11,955 of 39,414
Thank you. That sounds interesting. Will pull a trigger on FIBAE3 cause my old triple driver UM sounds very similar to UERR but just a bit less detailed and I need a bit of change. A lot of high end CIEM are tuned towards audiophile style sound which I don't really enjoy. Hope it is the right decision.

I have the exact model you're referencing: UM Aero's. :D In terms of general signature, the Aero's and the FIBAE 3 aren't the furthest apart. In technical performance, the FIBAE 3 will blow the Aero's out of the water for sure, but they're both neutral-ish by combining a healthy amount of bass against an elevated treble. Though, the Aero's have a bump in the mid-bass along with an articulative lower-treble, while the FIBAE 3's are boosted in the sub-bass and upper-treble. The Aero's will generally have a sharper attack up top, but the FIBAE 3's will sound a lot more resolving, airy, open and clear. If you want to go in the opposite direction of the Aero's, the FIBAE 2 is awesome as well. It's a darker, warmer, bassier monitor with lots of dynamic energy for a musical, rich and fun sound. The FIBAE Massdrop Edition offers a similar signature within a more resolving, more open and more guttural package. How would you describe an audiophile style sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back