flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 4, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #10,276 of 39,414
Jun 4, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #10,277 of 39,414
I would like to add that the QP2R is an excellent DAP for the money with a lot of power in it's balanced output.

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #10,278 of 39,414
I get what you are saying and I am very curious to try my Phantom with a (much) better source than my AK70. I hope I can do that in a few months time when I am back in the Netherlands and can swing by @Adventure's store to camp there for a day. :wink:

For me the main issue is one of portability (or at least transportability), which is why I gravitated towards IEMs rather than headphones. I use my IEMs on the go, while I'm cooking, behind my desk, on the sofa and in bed before I go to sleep. That is what I think makes IEMs so great, versatility, and I have always seen it as a compromise where sound quality is secondary to portability. I still expect that it is much less expensive to get the same sound quality from headphones than it is for IEMs. That is why I have recently developed a mild case of audiophile schizophrenia, where I want to try and scale up the Phantom, but constantly find myself looking at options that reduce portability and I start to question if that even makes sense.

I think that might well be the difference between someone coming from 2-channel compared to someone coming from an mp3 player and some cheap earbuds. I don't mean that in a critical sense, btw, just as an explanation why it might seem that some do not pay enough attention to the source. I think many people do, and the recent trend of different Amp modules for DAPs like the DX200 and X7mkII illustrates that quite well, but there are limitations when portability is a factor. Even DAPs like the WM1Z or AK380Cu + Amp are so heavy that the term "portable" means something different compared to DAPs like the ZX300 and AK70 that fit in a pocket.

So while I want to get the most out of my Phantom, of course I do, I still have no idea how I want to go about it. A great desktop stack is not even that expensive, especially compared to a TOTL DAP, but how much will I end up using it if I can't move it around? And if I do accept a desktop setup, why not go all the way and get some headphones (or dare I say, a complete 2 channel system)?

So yeah, I love reading about ways to push the Phantom to new heights and I am very curious about it, but I am still leaning more towards portability.

I'm very much in the same boat as you are, man. Despite owning pretty great desktop gear, I always find myself gravitating more towards IEMs because of the isolation and portability they provide - not just outside, but also around the house. When I'm listening to music whilst writing a review or editing photos, there are times when I wanna go outside and grab a drink or a snack, or simply pace around the room as I think about what I wanna write. IEMs and DAPs allow me to do that with absolute ease, while doing so on my desktop set-up will require me to interrupt the music with pauses or rewinds. There are definitely pros and cons to both, but for pure practicality, I'm an IEM guy through and through.

Speaking of IEMs, writing reviews and editing photos, coming soon to THL... :wink:

Haka-8.png

Jun 4, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #10,279 of 39,414
I would like to add that the QP2R is an excellent DAP for the money with a lot of power in it's balanced output.
I keep forgetting about it, but yeah, good point! Several people have recommended I give both the QP1R and QP2R a try. One also has the AK380Cu, but he won't get rid of his Questyle DAPs because he likes them too much.
I'm very much in the same boat as you are, man. Despite owning pretty great desktop gear, I always find myself gravitating more towards IEMs because of the isolation and portability they provide - not just outside, but also around the house. When I'm listening to music whilst writing a review or editing photos, there are times when I wanna go outside and grab a drink or a snack, or simply pace around the room as I think about what I wanna write. IEMs and DAPs allow me to do that with absolute ease, while doing so on my desktop set-up will require me to interrupt the music with pauses or rewinds. There are definitely pros and cons to both, but for pure practicality, I'm an IEM guy through and through.
Yeah, every time my AK70 is charging and I am using my Macbook I hate having to get up for a drink (or whatever else) as it interrupts the music and forces me out of the comfortable music bubble that isolates me from the pandemonium that is London.
Speaking of IEMs, writing reviews and editing photos, coming soon to THL... :wink:

There is that (in)famous wink again! :D Looking forward to it!

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #10,281 of 39,414
Would you guys say fourte is best in resolution/clarity currently?

It is a super high level of clarity but at the expense of the low end, its too bright to my ears. Since you enjoyed U18t more than you're last IEM I dont think you'll like Fourte more than A18t. Twister is right though, get yourself a demo. You may be able to add enough bass to fourte with the right cable and source pairing.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #10,282 of 39,414
WooAudio WA8

I picked up a WA8 last week, to see if it could replace my Hugo 2, as I was starting to find my Hugo 2 a bit harsh with many of my albums. WA8's sound has a few strong characteristics. I am surprised that none of the reviews out there, have mentioned these aspects, and rather did the usual 'wonderful vacuum tube sound' dance. Actually, Currawong talked about the forward/engaging presentation and AnakChan mentioned the stage being narrow. But no review mentioned about the weirdness in the mid-range. Anyways, moving on..

The first aspect about WA8's sound that gets your attention is the strong bass. The bass is slightly enhanced resulting in a warm and slightly-thick bass presentation. But thats the not the whole story about its bass. This thing can slam like a s-o-b. Its an impact that you only come across in desktop amplifiers. And I am not surprised because, despite WA8's transportable form, its amp section is actually a fully discrete design, running class-A. What that means is, you can expect some of the benefits you get from a desktop class amp. And for the same reason, the unit runs quite hot and you only get around 4 hours of battery, as class-A designs are simply power hungry and dissipate a lot of heat. Another sound aspect you can expect from a good discrete amp is an open and airy soundstage, and the WA8 does have a spacious and an airy stage with excellent height and depth. But the width of the stage is quite narrow. So what you get is a high-ceiling-hallway shaped stage, that feels very spacious, even if its not monstrous in size. The presentation as a whole is placed slightly forward than neutral which gives a very engaging sound. I typically prefer a neutral placement but its not a big deal.

While these characteristics mentioned in the above paragraph can be desired or disliked, depending on one's preference, there is one more characteristic where the WA8 fails objectively, regardless of preferences. And that is the lack of body and dynamics in the mid-range. It's a shame because, the tone of the mid-range is very natural and realistic. With a forward presentation, the mid-range instruments feel right there and yet, it lacks the tangibility due to the lack of body. And to make it worse, the mid-range also lacks macro and micro-dynamics and thus coming across as soft. And when I try to crank the volume up to perceive the mid-range, the bass starts to overwhelm the sound. And when I do some EQ by adding some dBs to the center-midrange, there is a slight improvement in body, but the midrange still remains soft and intangible. So there really is no solution to this problem. The reviews talk about the tubey mid-range in the device. While the influence of WA8's tubes can be sensed in its tone and smoothness, you really don't get the full-bodied notes that most other tube amps typically offer.

Once you get past this mid-range issue, there is a lot to be admired and enjoyed about the WA8's sound. For example, the device just nails the tone. With a touch of warmth from the bass, a linear treble and a neutral-warm mid-range, the tone I hear on the WA8 is perhaps the best I've heard from a portable device in the sub-$2000 category. And I think we have to thank the tubes for that, because the tubes seem to remove any kind of edginess or hardness in the upper-midrange and treble, while retaining most details. And so, the amp has a very forgiving sound. The resolution and transparency are not WA8's strengths. Not that it lacks in those areas. It does have above average transparency and resolution, but devices like Hugo 2 and other TOTL DAPs outperform the WA8 in those regards and sound more precise. What it lacks in resolution and transparency it makes it up with its tone, stage and bass impact. Overall WA8 is a device geared for musical enjoyment.

Vs Hugo 2:
In comparison to the Hugo 2, WA8's bass slams harder and is overall warmer than H2's bass. H2's bass may be quick and clean, but it lacks the bass dynamics that the WA8 has. H2's midrange is more present and solid, and it also gets the cake for mid-range dynamics. Every little micro-dynamics is so easily laid out on the H2, while these micro-dynamics are soft sounding and are not quite easily perceived on the WA8. H2's lower mid-range isn't as thick as the WA8, but the overall body of the mid-range is better on the H2, due to the solidity and density reinforced by its centre-midrange presence.

While the WA8 goes for a smoother upper-midrange and treble, H2 is overall brighter, sharper and very detailed in that frequency range, supplemented with a better treble extension. Whether H2 is forgiving or not, will depend on the track and the headphones. But regardless of the headphones, WA8 is going to have an organic tone and a forgiving nature. H2 literally nails the presentation with a equally proportioned stage and a neutral placement. WA8 does sound a bit more spacious and airy, but the placement is a touch more forward. H2 does have better width, but the WA8 has better height. And both the devices have a similar depth. While layering is also similar on both devices, H2 gets the win for separation, resolution and transparency. Over all H2 sounds analytical due to its hyper-detailed neutral sound, that focusses on precision, while the WA8 goes for a musical presentation.

Conclusion:
In the end, WA8 is a really good AIO solution with a simple design, and a transportable form factor. It is not going to be as portable as a Mojo, nor is it feature-rich like a Hugo 2. But it does have a tubey character to its sound and certain qualities to replace your desktop DAC and Amp stack, provided you can overlook the mid-range issue. But for the asking price of $1800, the mid-range issue is something I can't go easy about. So if you know you will be using it mostly at your desk, I'd recommend looking into a different DAC+Amp stack. But if you are a frequent traveller or want a device with a smooth sound, that you could carry to your office and back, and can make peace with a soft mid-range, I can wholeheartedly recommend the WA8.

Thanks, WA8 is the device I have been most interested in and am reviewing myself soon. Sounds like it would be exceptional with a monitor thats very midforward like Zeus XIV. Also in Amp only mode it might en exceptional with Hugo2 since Chord products have a typically midforward presentation. I would love to hear what IEMs you used since I dont find Hugo2 harsh at all in fact one of its major criticisms is that its dull and not dynamic.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #10,283 of 39,414
Nice!!! When I saw your LPG for sale I thought ''What is he doing? Making the same mistake (selling that wonderful dap) as I almost made?''
But then I saw there was a back-up plan and that you still have one :grin:

Please don't forget to try the Spiral Dot tips as well. I thought they did a pretty good job on the universal prototype when I had it over here.

Haha, that's exactly how I've lived my 'portable life' over the past years and why I went from full size headphones to (c)iems :ksc75smile:

I'm not sure how much there is to gain in sq compared to the AK70 as I've never tried that one myself. But with the prices for a used LPG (look at Mims for example) I would also seriously consider that one. Great synergy with the Phantom imo and it drives DD and hybrid iems also very well, because of it's power.

I must also say that I never had the idea that the AK380Cu (RedWine modded) lacked any power/authority driving the iems that I've got here. Volume needed for my ears is usually inbetween 60 and 90 (where it can go up to 150) and without amp it's certainly very pocket friendly imo.
AK380Cu (RW modded) + Zeus XR (mainly R) + 1960 2-wire certainly hits the sweet spot (synergy wise) for me these days.

Btw, this weekend I tried my Norne cable (which is usually 'married to' my Rhapsodio Solar) on the Phantom and I was very pleased with what I heard. More clarity / details compared to the Ares II, without making concessions on that fabulous timbre / natural signature.
This is a 23awg silver (some kinda prototype, which retailed at $380) cable inbetween the Therium and Silvergarde. It sounds so damn sweet that I'm seriously considering to get me a Silvergarde S for the Phantom later on this year :thinking:

Hi there friend! The Silvergarde S is the pairing I landed on for my Legend X and it sounds incredible. Be warned, though: the ergonomics are not for the faint of heart...

Sound is absolutely top notch!

-Collin-

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #10,285 of 39,414
wait, why do you have 2 phantoms? a universal and a custom?

got the universals first, love it too much and decided to get customs. So now just waiting for the customs and i'll probably sell the universals.

All i hope is for a good fit for both the phantom and legend x, Quite worried since i've small ears +canals

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #10,286 of 39,414

Aha! Jomo Haka, amazing little iem this one.
My friend pairs it with effect audio eros ii + DX200(AMP4)
It was sublime :)

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #10,287 of 39,414
I keep forgetting about it, but yeah, good point! Several people have recommended I give both the QP1R and QP2R a try. One also has the AK380Cu, but he won't get rid of his Questyle DAPs because he likes them too much.

I haven't written my review yet but as a spoiler I can safely say the QP2R will replace my Opus#2 as my reference DAP.

Also, in the about me section of my blog I write a similar tale regarding being tethered to a desk and when I want to refresh my adult beverage I want to continue listening to my high quality tunes, it's all about portable for me. Some of todays TOTL IEMs are beginning to rival over ears but there is still nothing like a good pair of headphones.

Also, IEMs are the best for exercise, I laugh sometimes thinking of the price I have in my ear to exercise.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #10,288 of 39,414
Yes, the LPG really appeals to me as well. It actually looks like just the type of DAP I like, rugged, sensible buttons and functions, and lots of power. Just don't know about the battery life. Is that any good, or about average (10hrs)? Then again, Sony always keeps calling me as well and since most of my cables are 2.5mm also keep thinking about the convenience of sticking to A&K. This hobby man... :D

When I have moved back to the Netherlands I will come visit and we can do some cable swapping! I think you will like the Ares II 8-wire as well and I am quite curious about Norne.

If 10 hrs is average in your opinion, then yeah, it's definitely average. I think I can make it probably a little longer (11-12 hrs) on the LPG's battery, where I think the AK380 runs about 8-9 hrs at most. The AK certainly drains a lot faster then the LPG when you use the (touch)screen a lot.

You're welcome and I'm looking forward to our mini meet (only a 1 hr drive) by that time.
:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Hi there friend! The Silvergarde S is the pairing I landed on for my Legend X and it sounds incredible. Be warned, though: the ergonomics are not for the faint of heart...

Sound is absolutely top notch!

-Collin-
That's good to know :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what to expect from the Silvergarde S ergonomic wise. The Norne I have here is at least a lot more flexible than let's say a cable like the Silver Widow 22awg.
I've also considered the Leonidas, but the (especially BF) price of the Silvergarde S is certainly more tempting than that one :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back