flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 15, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #9,076 of 39,414
Like @squirrelman, I too just got back from AXPONA 2018 in Chicago.
Lots of cool gear to experience. If, like me, you've never experienced $250k+ home stereo systems, a show like this should be on your to-do list. Wow...

I spent a couple of hours in total with the EE Phantom. It has a wonderfully life-like tonality that I enjoyed very much.
I tend to zero in on the percussion in the mix as my benchmark, and the Phantoms did portray drums especially well - attack, sustain, depth are really well done.
However, I could not get past the way that cymbals lost their edge and overtones. I found the sense of conveyed space to suffer a bit as well.
Sadly not the iems for me.

The hybrid lineup from EE was also great. The Nemesis and Legend X were standouts for me.
Of course the low-end stands out for its power, but it did not feel overcooked, and only shines when the music requires it.
Hybrid fans will eat these up.

I also have to say that the EE universal shells are the most comfortable I've yet experienced - remarkable how stable they fit.

I also spent a lot time at the 64 Audio booth, and I think that is the direction I am headed. The 12t fits exactly what I am looking for.
The N8t was close runner-up in my book - very smooth and rich, but at the cost of a bit of a wooly bottom end.

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #9,077 of 39,414
Lots of cool gear to experience. If, like me, you've never experienced $250k+ home stereo systems, a show like this should be on your to-do list. Wow...

I spent a couple of hours in total with the EE Phantom. It has a wonderfully life-like tonality that I enjoyed very much.
I tend to zero in on the percussion in the mix as my benchmark, and the Phantoms did portray drums especially well - attack, sustain, depth are really well done.
However, I could not get past the way that cymbals lost their edge and overtones. I found the sense of conveyed space to suffer a bit as well.

The hybrid lineup from EE was also great. The Nemesis and Legend X were standouts for me.
Of course the low-end stands out for its power, but it did not feel overcooked, and only shines when the music requires it.

I also have to say that the EE universal shells are the most comfortable I've yet experienced - remarkable how stable they fit.

I also spent a lot time at the 64 Audio booth, and I think that is the direction I am headed. The 12t fits exactly what I am looking for.
The N8t was close runner-up in my book - very smooth and rich, but at the cost of a bit of a wooly bottom end.

did you find the N8t bassier than the double dd Empire Ears? or just less controlled?

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #9,079 of 39,414
Mojo not dynamic enough and the Poly is garbage,. I'm about to sell it. Anyone know a dac/amp or dap on the warm side or no fatigue at least ?

WM1Z w/fw 1.2. Sounds different from WM1A your friend gifted you.

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #9,081 of 39,414
Shoot, I guess I need to say It needs to stay under 1k$,i don't mind buying used

DX200 w/AMP5. Don't have DX150 yet, it's incoming, but heard it's on a warmer side with its amp6.

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #9,083 of 39,414
DX200 w/AMP5. Don't have DX150 yet, it's incoming, but heard it's on a warmer side with its amp6.

Yes agree. DX200+amp5 may fit your needs. Its sufficiently warm yet very dynamic and detailed.

However, may i know what IEMS are you using? I paired amp5 with zeus+ares2+ the treble was alittle peaky for me. But for the most part, other iems like A12, LAKH, fitear simply sounds awesome.

If you are into a more airy creamy smooth tube-ish sound give amp4s a try too. Its not as warm as amp5 but its smoothness reminds me of the sound from CDM's amp.

I tried dx150, it reminded me of DX100, however its treble is definitely tamer then the DX200 with amp4 or amp5. Mids and vocals etc is still good though.

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #9,084 of 39,414

Glad you got to enjoy some of the 2 channel world (mine). Did you get to hear the Vandersteen room? If so, that's my system (will be getting those new Mono's as soon as he is ready to ship). There is certainly some great new gear out now, just like in the personal audio world.

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #9,085 of 39,414
Yes agree. DX200+amp5 may fit your needs. Its sufficiently warm yet very dynamic and detailed.

However, may i know what IEMS are you using? I paired amp5 with zeus+ares2+ the treble was alittle peaky for me. But for the most part, other iems like A12, LAKH, fitear simply sounds awesome.

If you are into a more airy creamy smooth tube-ish sound give amp4s a try too. Its not as warm as amp5 but its smoothness reminds me of the sound from CDM's amp.

I tried dx150, it reminded me of DX100, however its treble is definitely tamer then the DX200 with amp4 or amp5. Mids and vocals etc is still good though.
Zeus XR with ares 2 looking to take the peak in the upper mid, low treble

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #9,086 of 39,414
Mojo not dynamic enough and the Poly is garbage,. I'm about to sell it. Anyone know a dac/amp or dap on the warm side or no fatigue at least ?

If you don't mind an inept user interface with no hope of updates and no customer support, the Luxury Precision L5Pro is a nice warmish player IMO (though it will not suddenly make peaky or fatiguing headphones magically change) , also works as a dac/amp, though IIRC it either didnt' sound as good or had some latency with my computer (been a while). Probably not worth the new MSRP price.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #9,087 of 39,414
Shoot, I guess I need to say It needs to stay under 1k$,i don't mind buying used
I'd give the iDSD Micro Black Label a look. Great DAC amp on its own. Then there's the outstanding versatility and options at every opportunity. Need multiple digital input? Need analog input? Need power? Need to drive efficient IEMs? Need lil bass boost or treble help? Check to all. Brilliant piece of gear I replaced my Mojo with.

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #9,088 of 39,414
Zeus XR with ares 2 looking to take the peak in the upper mid, low treble

Awesome. Amp4s should be better for you. I am using Zeus too but paired with ares2+. On amp5 higher volumes, ear fatigue creeps in during pop songs. However, at low volumes it is detailed and very clean and resolving.

Amp4s do not have any peaky issues. At least for the past 36 hours of usage. (It's new).

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #9,089 of 39,414
Guys, someone, anyone ! - With experience. Gimme some advice please !

I'm basically looking for a CIEM that can do Choral and classical with lifelike representation ( Something that resembles TAD or Voxativ/Lowther representation in the vocal area, forwardness/presence ) but accompanied by the highest possible resolution attainable while factoring this in. Budget has no limit, neither does IEM or CIEM,but CIEM may be preferable i think.

I was close to buying one of the last TOTL until i got Beyer T5P v2 and while the resolution is great, i find it doesn't have the wow factor i was looking for, how to describe this, like the impact of a really good hornspeaker, "you are there factor" with alot of BITE and BREATH at the same time while carrying impecable timbre (a la' TAD alnico compression horns )

I will insist on this part : immediacy of good high end cost no object horns, TAD, goto, ale. Good tube amps ( dap notwithstanding )

I use alot of words trying to describe this and i hope i got it through. It's hard in the world of headphones especially for someone who hasn't heard alot of them. I live in Romania and i don't know of a place here where i could listen so i must rely on reviews.

I am willing to go all in because i value timbre and resolution and wouldn't be happy with something that doesn't pass everything along with utmost transparency.

It doesn't matter if it's a 2010 model, if it was TOTL at the time and valued for the qualities i listed, i'd like to know.

I dont't want to get Lola and find it lacking in transparency, or to go phantom or andromeda and feel like i'm listening to hi-fi (again). I'd like the advice of someone who knows from experience how a TAD/Goto/compression horn sounds like, or a Lowther/Fostex/Voxativ style full-range speaker sounds like, to give me his opinion on what i can get to get as close as possible to either of them. My T5P's are great Hi-fi. Good headphones no doubt. But what i heard from a pair of fostex full range drivers in the past describes as midrange magic, 100% "you are there" factor. Through cheap amps ! Not Voxativ on 211 tubes, or 30000USD TAD/GOTO.

Advice greatly appreciated !

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #9,090 of 39,414

First and foremost I am a 2 channel guy, sadly I don't punch in the $250k zone though but its a blast hearing what is out there every year. This year the star of the show for me by FAR was the giant Avantgarde system on the 16th floor. I felt like I was at a Rammstein concert with the wall shaking bass.

For me I think the Phantom just felt off on the vocals and something else I just couldn't put my finger on. Once I heard the first one at 64 Audio I knew I had found what I was looking for. I'm just glad I finally had the opportunity to listen to a few IEMs to see what it was that I was really looking for. I ended up snagging my favorite pair from the classifieds on here, the Tia Fourte.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back