flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 27, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #6,316 of 39,414
I noticed that it comes packaged with a bunch of 3.5mm to balanced adapters. I was under the impression that it's very bad for your amp to plug a non balanced cable into a balanced input, regardless og adapters. Did I miss something?

Maybe the Mellianus comes with an instruction leaflet, so that nobody kills his/her amp :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #6,317 of 39,414
Don't know how to delete this post.

On any other thread, you just need to delete the content of the post. But in this thread, we have special rites to delete a post, due to the...hum...peculiar tastes of the thread starter.

Follow this procedure exactly or dire consequences may occur :
1) Take of all your clothe
2) Procure an HD camera
3) Cover yourself in grease
4) Spread flamingo feathers on the floor (no other feather will do, a poor bloke experienced the unlimited wrath of Nic for using colored pigeon feathers)
5) Roll yourself in the feathers
6) Run around your living room batting your arms and screaming (in Dutch if possible) : "I, the bird of manly love, command thee, vile post, disappear!"
7) Film the whole scene
8) Transform the video into a GIF using this tool : https://ezgif.com/video-to-gif (with subtitles)
9) Post on this thread quoting the post you wish to delete.

You're welcome.

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #6,318 of 39,414
Nov 27, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #6,319 of 39,414
On any other thread, you just need to delete the content of the post. But in this thread, we have special rites to delete a post, due to the...hum...peculiar tastes of the thread starter.

2) Procure an HD camera
4) Spread flamingo feathers on the floor (no other feather will do, a poor bloke experienced the unlimited wrath of Nic for using colored pigeon feathers)
6) Run around your living room batting your arms and screaming (in Dutch if possible) : "I, the bird of manly love, command thee, vile post, disappear!"
7) Film the whole scene
8) Transform the video into a GIF using this tool : https://ezgif.com/video-to-gif (with subtitles)

You're welcome.

Are you sure? That almost seems too simple.

But if it's the only way, I don't suppose anybody has extra flamingo feathers collecting dust?

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #6,320 of 39,414
I felt the uncontrollable urge to transform this into a limerick.

When love was just fragile and new :angel:
I had little experience with what to do :baby:
I met a domineering fellow named Nic :smiling_imp:
Who christened me with his humungous d*** :scream_cat:
And then complimented me on my Fourte review :thumbsup:

As I meditated on your wondrous gift, I realized, this is not the first piece of art someone has been inspired to make based on my forum posts.

A few years ago, I had an interaction with a member of a gaming forum, which led to something... special.

For clarification, this guy is not a "Nazi and a pervert". That was just Pinky saying the terrible things Pinky says. By now, you all know how I do.

------------------------------------------

Pinky_Powers: TrickeyVein, you're a Nazi and a pervert, but I like you.
TrickyVein: Yep, imagine what a perverted Nazi can do with liver. Raw, cooked, from every type of breed - the possibilities are limitless. :rolleyes:
Pinky_Powers: Now now now. Don't sell yourself short. Ingenuity doth run through your tricky veins. I imagine you could utilize almost anything in a ramped, bestial effort. Hell, I once used the timid affections of a wild hind to produce a tremulous melody that brought despair and widespread impotency to the entire male population of a small town in northern Missouri. And I was drunk off my @ss and psychologically raw from a long weekend of heinous things I scarcely remember.
You'll do just fine for yourself.

And then two hours later TrickyVein posted this...

The Art of Pinkys Words.jpg

Pinky_Powers: HA! Oh, good, good! A righteous depiction of my horrid adventure! :wild laughter:
Can I post that on Facebook, giving you full credit, of course? I've never had someone take one of my rambling posts and turn it into such a striking mural.
ArcR: Putting Pinky's mind to paper is a terrifying prospect. Moar!
TrickyVein: Just for you, Pinky, for such a strange and challenging source of inspiration, I would be honored. I'm still trying to dissect what you said.

---------------------------------------------

And here we are. :)

Rarely have I been so stunned. I'll cherish it.

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #6,321 of 39,414
well @jelt2359 was supposed to do a 2nd totl shootout , curious if there is a timetable for it

You're in the wrong thread for this my friend!

Another review coming soon!

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #6,322 of 39,414

2) Procure an HD camera
7) Film the whole scene

You're welcome.
I highly suggest to swap 1 and 2, entering B&H (or whatev..) completely naked is not what you want to do on a Tuesday morning..

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #6,323 of 39,414
IMG_4112.JPG
My evil conscience has become quite smart these days. It has begun to evaluate what is within reach and what's not. It knows Dave is out of the question.. So it goes for something like the Hugo 2 or Eddie Current Zana Deux..
Or both in my case as the Hugo2 > EC ZD pairs extraordinarily well.

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #6,324 of 39,414
Since this is THE thread with the braintrust for CIEM i wanted to get some opinions from the ones more experienced with how a CIEM design will look "live"
For a VE8 i'm playing around with these configurations. Any feedback on what will work not only in the designer and look good?
The design is a "celebration" to two fav bands..
Myself i was set on (3) but then i started to play around with colors and wood.. Not sure how well the graphics will display on transparent color faceplates?

(1)
screen-capture-119.png
(2)
screen-capture-123.png
(3)
screen-capture-129.png
(4)
screen-capture-130.png
(5)
screen-capture-134.png
(6)
screen-capture-136.png
(7)
screen-capture-141.png

Attachments

• screen-capture-133.png
    screen-capture-133.png
    231.2 KB · Views: 0
Nov 28, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #6,325 of 39,414
Since this is THE thread with the braintrust for CIEM i wanted to get some opinions from the ones more experienced with how a CIEM design will look "live"
For a VE8 i'm playing around with these configurations. Any feedback on what will work not only in the designer and look good?
Myself i was set on (3) but then i started to play around with colors and wood.. Not sure how well the graphics will display on transparent color faceplates?

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

(5)

(6)

(7)
All I can tell you is that mirror faceplates come out super pretty (to me).

FB_IMG_1511869429353.jpg

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #6,326 of 39,414

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

(5)

(6)

(7)
Ah instantly recognize the VE designer. I initially wanted to shamelessly plagiarize Mim's design since I think it is really fantastic, but Amin subtly suggested I do something myself. These were my clippings, the first image was the end result.

ps. My logos are engraved in the plate, not placed on top.

VE.jpg

VE2.jpg

VE3.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #6,327 of 39,414
Cool thanks @flinkenick @Mimouille Great to see how they looked live.
Ok mirror faceplates are cool, hmm. FYI also using this great designer to possibly reuse for other CIEMS, where mirror faceplates are not an option. just to be able to show of the idea.. Actually starting to think to update my Zeus order..

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #6,328 of 39,414
Cool thanks @flinkenick @Mimouille Great to see how they looked live.
Ok mirror faceplates are cool, hmm. FYI also using this great designer to possibly reuse for other CIEMS, where mirror faceplates are not an option. just to be able to show of the idea..
Btw nice 'phones you have, how would you describe the Utopia? Is it the reason you're selling the others?

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #6,329 of 39,414
All I can tell you is that mirror faceplates come out super pretty (to me).

When I played around with the designer a while back I came up with exactly that red design (for both sides), which now I see how it turns out is even better than I thought it would be! Very nice Mim!

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #6,330 of 39,414
Btw nice 'phones you have, how would you describe the Utopia? Is it the reason you're selling the others?

Hey
The Z1R i'm still "on the fence" about since it's just so good and CLOSED, however shifting focus to CIEM:s instead right now..

The HE1000 V2, although great it's to me "to wide" if that makes sense, different tastes i guess. Compared to Utopia seems a bit "artificially wide" or not natural wide.
However i would not have thought of that before i bought the utopia which really "nailed" it for me i would say, even though a "little" more bass could be nice.
If i would summarise the Utopia in two words i would say "being there" and not as being in the extra super wide concert hall with 10 meters to the singer, but in the studio or small venue with the singer just singing for me, and the band playing close to the singer but still clearly separated from each other , closing my eyes really being able to feel the singer standing 2 meters in front of me, it's just so realistic. That's the Utopia for me. My personal concert kind of..

I wrote this the same day i bought them in the Utopia thread

"
Just received mine and for the first time in a while (even though i've this year bought the HE1000V2 and Z1R) i can't stop listening.
Two things strike me. 1. It's like i'm sitting 2m from the singer/band who plays just for me, and the voices are so realistic that it's really like the singer is there.. smaller soundstage compared to some other cans, yes, but intimate and VERY involving. They play just for me, not for an arena or concert hall.
2. I'm hearing things, details, backup singers etc in songs i have not heard before in a coherent way if that makes sense. e.g. it's still music i'm enjoying and i'm not ending up analysing,
"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back