flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 28, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #6,331 of 39,414

Previous discussion reminded me of this...
(don't know what they're singing about, but they're having a good time).

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #6,332 of 39,414
Since this is THE thread with the braintrust for CIEM i wanted to get some opinions from the ones more experienced with how a CIEM design will look "live"
For a VE8 i'm playing around with these configurations. Any feedback on what will work not only in the designer and look good?
The design is a "celebration" to two fav bands..
Myself i was set on (3) but then i started to play around with colors and wood.. Not sure how well the graphics will display on transparent color faceplates?

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

(5)

(6)

(7)

As the others have mentioned, I’d highly recommend mirror faceplates. But, instead of engraving the art on the acrylic above the mirror foil, I’d recommend asking VE to cut-out the shapes from the foil itself. You’ll get this kind of effect:

BC9FD9FE-3827-4D7E-95C8-FE5C894133C5.png 8F53259A-0ACB-4333-85C1-4C2BB73505BE.png

All I can tell you is that mirror faceplates come out super pretty (to me).

Beautiful gems, man. :)

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #6,333 of 39,414
Cool thanks @flinkenick @Mimouille Great to see how they looked live.
Ok mirror faceplates are cool, hmm. FYI also using this great designer to possibly reuse for other CIEMS, where mirror faceplates are not an option. just to be able to show of the idea.. Actually starting to think to update my Zeus order..

By the way, mirror faceplates are also available via Jomo Audio. There’s also another company that’s currently experimenting with mirror faceplates, but I can’t say much until my review comes out. As always, stay tuned. :wink:

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #6,334 of 39,414

Previous discussion reminded me of this...
(don't know what they're singing about, but they're having a good time).

Straight from Cologne I'm guessing? :) Nice track. Lol. A guy was trying to count one-to-ten miserably, that's all I could catch.

By the way, mirror faceplates are also available via Jomo Audio. There’s also another company that’s currently experimenting with mirror faceplates, but I can’t say much until my review comes out. As always, stay tuned. :wink:
Hey, congrats. :thumbsup: Which model are you getting Deezel? Is it the Flamenco?

It is supposed to be awesome, but at that price, we need a review. Will try to procure one...
Hope you find one in a shop there Mim. I'm also curious how it sounds. It seems this time the Oriolus is putting more focus for the mids, and high-frequency, and less driver count for the bass. If you could find a demo there, that'd be awesome. :)

BTW, nice VE design of yours.

Since this is THE thread with the braintrust for CIEM i wanted to get some opinions from the ones more experienced with how a CIEM design will look "live"
For a VE8 i'm playing around with these configurations. Any feedback on what will work not only in the designer and look good?
The design is a "celebration" to two fav bands..
Myself i was set on (3) but then i started to play around with colors and wood.. Not sure how well the graphics will display on transparent color faceplates?

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

(5)

(6)

(7)
The blue plate, white flower IMO looks nice. As well as the orange BLISS. By the way, if you're looking for a nice colour palette, check out the cartoon show Adventure Time. They have great colour selection for their character, and background. :)
DIG009004_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
KABOOM_ADVENTURETIME_006v1.jpg
AdventureTime_064_Main_PRESS.jpg

As for mein UvuvwevweVE5, I like this colour best. :D

image.png

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #6,335 of 39,414
Straight from Cologne I'm guessing? :) Nice track. Lol. A guy was trying to count one-to-ten miserably, that's all I could catch.

Hey, congrats. :thumbsup: Which model are you getting Deezel? Is it the Flamenco?

Hope you find one in a shop there Mim. I'm also curious how it sounds. It seems this time the Oriolus is putting more focus for the mids, and high-frequency, and less driver count for the bass. If you could find a demo there, that'd be awesome. :)

BTW, nice VE design of yours.

The blue plate, white flower IMO looks nice. As well as the orange BLISS. By the way, if you're looking for a nice colour palette, check out the cartoon show Adventure Time. They have great colour selection for their character, and background. :)
DIG009004_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
KABOOM_ADVENTURETIME_006v1.jpg
AdventureTime_064_Main_PRESS.jpg

As for mein UvuvwevweVE5, I like this colour best. :D

image.png

No, the review I'm talking about is of the other company's product; the one that I said was experimenting with mirror faceplates. Jomo and I... uhh... well, stay tuned. :wink:

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #6,336 of 39,414
Pretty...
feeling like I should go for a ciem, but got burned on one from acs, never fit, never sounded good, pretty hesitant to blow another big wad...

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #6,337 of 39,414

Or both in my case as the Hugo2 > EC ZD pairs extraordinarily well.

Man, I can only imagine how sweet that must sound. If by any chance you are planning on upgrading to their Afficianado or Studio, please do let me know as I would be interested to buy your ZDS.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #6,339 of 39,414
Should we take this as a sign?
Ranking The Stars - flinkenick's 2018 Headphone Flagship Shootout
(ps. Please, I need donations for food, clothes and a clean cardboard box to live in.)
(pps. These headphones are expensive!)
(ppps. Not to mention the flippin' amps!)

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #6,341 of 39,414
Ranking The Stars - flinkenick's 2018 Headphone Flagship Shootout
(ps. Please, I need donations for food, clothes and a clean cardboard box to live in.)
(pps. These headphones are expensive!)
(ppps. Not to mention the flippin' amps!)

As we know it, Nic has the compulsive need to associate the year ('17) with the number of items in the shootout (17 IEMs). He'll need a HP from 18 different manufacturers, if he plans on doing it in 2018. And he owes it to himself to add one more HP to the list, for every year he postpones the shootout,

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #6,342 of 39,414
Nov 28, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #6,344 of 39,414
Haha, I was only asking because you said I'd like it and it can be driven by daps :D Maybe one day.
Utopias sound great ehh No, they sound fricking fantastic! out of my wm1z:)

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #6,345 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back